Anyone know of good ways to raise money to buy a rally car? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know of good ways to raise money to buy a rally car?

100 K right 2

Sorry if I sounded like a douchebag I just got really happy about my paycheck...

And I don't see what got out of hand??? It was a nice discussion.
    Last edited by LexusFman; 08-04-2015 at 10:14 AM.
    #112 In DiRT 3 at Rally Finland-Tupasentie with S2000 cars. That record is going down

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Yep, the toll roads between here and the great white north are........ What? that's a typo? Tools you say? Oh well, never mind then.

You can make a ton of money selling pot. Buy a cheap car, save enough money to come out to Colorado and buy a bunch of weed and bring it back east and sell it for a shit ton. Just recognize the 30 years of prison you might be looking at if you get caught.

17 years old means you are going to be a Senior. Here's you plan:
    Get a job somewhere. Dairy Queen was a fun place to work, lots of chicks work there usually, more come there for ice cream. You can get laid working at DQ easier than Taco Bell.
    Save money and start researching how to work on Alaskan fishing boats for the summer after graduation. Your friends might be drinking and partying but when you come home after the summer is over with $20k in your pocket and they're still all broke.
    Pay your college tuition, keep living with your parents and do whatever you can to milk that, mow their grass, do some dishes, help out with your 2 year old adopted chilean brother, etc. Rent SUCKS and is expensive.
    If you NEED a car, start looking for something for $3-4k but be mindful of the additional $50-100 a month you will also have to pay in insurance. Since you're flush with cash right now, pay the year of insurance in advance. If you can get by without a car, do it. Work hard in school, bang some freshies, and find some like minded friends to go rallycross or volunteer at rallies with. Find a local car shop that is involved in rally or racing and start hanging out there and offering to help out. There's always something that could be done, sweeping floors, hauling scrap, etc. Shut the fuck up and listen. Listen, listen, listen, and ask questions sometimes.
    Wear a rubber.
    Grant Hughes - 1985 Merkur XR$TI Group 5
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Uh Oh, UH OH, UHH OHHH!!! johnhuebbe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by granthughes View Post
    You can make a ton of money selling pot. Buy a cheap car, save enough money to come out to Colorado and buy a bunch of weed and bring it back east and sell it for a shit ton. Just recognize the 30 years of prison you might be looking at if you get caught.

17 years old means you are going to be a Senior. Here's you plan:
    Get a job somewhere. Dairy Queen was a fun place to work, lots of chicks work there usually, more come there for ice cream. You can get laid working at DQ easier than Taco Bell.
    Save money and start researching how to work on Alaskan fishing boats for the summer after graduation. Your friends might be drinking and partying but when you come home after the summer is over with $20k in your pocket and they're still all broke.
    Pay your college tuition, keep living with your parents and do whatever you can to milk that, mow their grass, do some dishes, help out with your 2 year old adopted chilean brother, etc. Rent SUCKS and is expensive.
    If you NEED a car, start looking for something for $3-4k but be mindful of the additional $50-100 a month you will also have to pay in insurance. Since you're flush with cash right now, pay the year of insurance in advance. If you can get by without a car, do it. Work hard in school, bang some freshies, and find some like minded friends to go rallycross or volunteer at rallies with. Find a local car shop that is involved in rally or racing and start hanging out there and offering to help out. There's always something that could be done, sweeping floors, hauling scrap, etc. Shut the fuck up and listen. Listen, listen, listen, and ask questions sometimes.
    Wear a rubber.
    Great post!
    Behold the POWER of cheese! www.huebberally.com
    Organizer: 100aw.org & perryville.100aw.org/ | Rally Cars: 1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by granthughes View Post
    Wear a rubber.
    Best advice on how to afford rally. Your kid can become your rally car.
    Billy Elliot Mann
    Car #37
    1988 VW GTI - Sold!
    1996 Civic - Build thread!
    1992 Civic - Wife's rally car
    Octane Academy Alumni. They found the best driver by having us snowboard and ride ski bikes!

200 square left

I was given the following advice by a man in the rally industry that I often(but not always)
    agree with:

First go back and choose your parents better. Make sure they a real Merikuns who show they really love you buy buying your love...*

If for some reason you can't go back, that means you have to work..*
    I know! I know! Its terrible!*

it looks like you're just going to have to work.*

Now if there are these so called rallycrosses ANYTHING will do..Simple as that. Handling, suspension, power are all unimportant because of the low speeds and tight nature of the courses....*
    So the way to get into it and be able to do it when your broke-ass for the next few years is to get a car that is:*
    a) cheap and*
    b) SIMPLE enough that you can do all the eventual work yourself and*
    c) fairly certain it will tolerate some thrashing*
    d) fun enough stock-ish that the fun part balances out that you have to work on it.*

And you complicate the matter by saying "beat on it and then LATER prep it for rally".*
    That lat bit changes the equation..*

USED to be it was easier... Corolla up to 86, RWD celicas, various rwd Nissans and Mazda RX2/RX3/RX7, old Capris, Opels, Merkur XR4Ti, even cheap old BMW 318/320... Now almost all of those are all gone and what's left are insanely priced.*

So that has lead me to begin advising people to consider a particular car which they made over 2.8 million of in a model run that went from 1975 thru 1993.*

Here's some local links for you.*
    https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/5142814692.html*$1200 with auto but later engine with stronger internals*

https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/5144501141.html*$2200 with manual but not quite as nice rods (I'd get the one with the best bodyshell)*

Oh look! Down to fawkin Bawstin:*
    http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/5123571732.html*

manual, turbo...cheap and easy.*

Don't poo pooo autotragic versions..Anybody with just a few sockets and wrenches can convert these autotragics to manual if a good long push in the driveway*

And despite unrelenting irrational resistance by many angry people top this car, hich is really just personal animus toward me and nothing to do with the car, the cars are EXCELLENT cars for both playing rallycross and eventual prepping for rally---which despite everything the cars are still capable of winning national Championships last couple of years in the hardest National Championship series in the world: Finland.*

Again to review ANYTHING will do for thrashing as a rallycross car*
    This for example:*
    Image:*http://images.craigslist.org/00S0S_9...a_600x450.jpg*

Or a Golf for $900 with a spare roller shell:*
    https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/5104589246.html*

And those would be plenty of fun for rallycross, *_but bear in mind that no matter what you do to them they will never be able to do this._**

[YT]g5U6cwX8RcE[/YT]
    Last edited by rallyxr4ti; 08-05-2015 at 10:59 AM.

your other left, you idiot

Unless you are a trust fund kid or marry into money, read Grant's post above.

Stay in school !

Remember, we are racing for plastic trophies. Nobody gets rich at this (Ken Block excepted, and this will derail quickly).

Have fun. Try not to "think" with your little head.

press on,
    just a poor, dumb, Michigan(now Wisconsin) navie
    KC8YHT
    jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    Unless you are a trust fund kid or marry into money, read Grant's post above.

Stay in school !

Remember, we are racing for plastic trophies. Nobody gets rich at this (Ken Block excepted, and this will derail quickly).

Have fun. Try not to "think" with your little head.

press on,
    I would just like to point out that Jason McDaniel over @ Vorshlag made an interesting comment about building cages and how much they cost.

In short, while I too suggest that education is the way of the future, there is something to be said for getting into a trade that requires really dedicated skill (such as fab/welding or carpentry). Jason said their shops charges $120/h. Sure, there is overhead and whatnot, but you are also paying for the name. I've met very few "poor" mechanics or trades people if they are good at what they do and hard workers.

And that is probably the key; be a hard worker at whatever you do. I am (well, I'd like to think so), and with only an associates I've earned close to six figures the past three years and most of my time is spent at a desk posting on internet forums

Also, they are still hiring up north in Alberta, Imperial was offering $160k per year two weeks on two weeks out accommodations and meals provided on site while there. Still wish I would have taken that offer when I was 20, would have competed in Fiesta Cup by now!
    Adam

Blew up the clutch at PFR, back at it for Big White!

R4Vlg>TREE

"school" is generic enough to include trades like welding, which I don't think anyone involved in rally would put below other professions.

Pretty much talk to any engineer and you can't make good parts, let alone they'll tell you you're dreaming on trying to manufacture what you designed when you have a good machinist who knows the trade.

Engineering is the easiest fall back but some other skilled labor trades that directly benefit auto racing:

* Construction work. You likely already own tools as your job, can write them off on your taxes, you might even be able to write off your truck/trailer as a business expense. Your daily is your tow vehicle so you don't need to own a truck that sits and dry rots in your driveway because you use it every day and maintain it properly.
    * Auto repair. Access to a shop full of tools to fix your car and a large/clean facility greatly improves your productivity. One of our LeMons members was a manager at Midas, so we built/welded/aligned/tire mounts all at the shop for no cost, just had to go after hours. We even got at cost part through their supply system.
    * Welding/fabrication. If you're in the business of fabricating parts you'll have access to machine shops and the means to manufacturer parts that privateers only dream on because of access to equipment and skilled labor around you. Welding is something every rally hobbyist should learn to do, I can't tell you how much fabrication and labor costs I've saved being able to weld by myself, it's a lot. Suspension design and chassis fabrication isn't rocket science, you can study some old prep manuals and learn the fundamentals of suspension design. Next thing you know, you're building light weight and modular sub-frame and suspension components that cost a fraction of OEM replacement parts, will be lighter AND stronger.

Really, any job that requires you to have a truck is a big help. Lawn services towing a trailer of mowers, junk hauling services, scrappers.

I'm probably missing a lot. But your biggest costs in rally is sustaining/maintaining your rally vehicle between events and getting to/from events. Everyone loves to bitch about event fees, but they're such a fraction of your total operating costs. Outside of any skilled labor, think of a job like pressing bearings into your hubs and how much it costs. Now look at getting a 20 ton press for your garage. It might be more expensive at first, but you'll make that money back in the long run.

Bottom line, if you do things smart and spend money to save money, you can make rally affordable without earing a 6 figure salary or needing a college education. Hell, for the most part you could even make more than a college educated person depending on how much you work.
    Billy Elliot Mann
    Car #37
    1988 VW GTI - Sold!
    1996 Civic - Build thread!
    1992 Civic - Wife's rally car
    Octane Academy Alumni. They found the best driver by having us snowboard and ride ski bikes!