Which pre-2000, under $2000, FWD potential stage rally car is cheapest to repair? - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Which pre-2000, under $2000, FWD potential stage rally car is cheapest to repair?

Lost my house keys so skipped test drive for today, minor setback, probably left them at clinic, will check tomorrow.

Why did you guys say to get a FWD impreza vs awd? The impreza I was looking at was a '97, I'm fairly sure they had ABS, can that be disconnected or should I simply not bother with it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 oversquare right

I think just because you said FWD, and we are thinking what you want is a Group 2 car (could be FWD or RWD) and a FWD impreza is still group 2..

If you don't care about which class you end up in . Open Light is pretty happening in most parts of the country. Group 2 is bigger. Probably more tempting to dump money in open light than in Group 2 ..

On paper i like the AE86 Corrolla (83-87 Corolla) 2200 lbs, RWD, and compatible with Some Mr2 engines 53/47 weight distribution.. but they are usually priced way to much because of all the Initial D fan boys etc. (Takumi !!!!)

No clue what their suspension is like. really with any of these cars though i'd just call JVL for suspension ..

240 SX 53/47 weight distribution 2800 lbs

Volvo 240 50/50 weight distribution . 2,800 lb <-- Man if only someone had suggested one of these.. that's some pretty amazing balance!

impreza (90s awd) 58/42 2900 lbs Crappy weight distribution (fine for racing other imprezas with bad weight distribution though LOL )

Is there a car (not truck) with Worse weight distribution that is used in racing? i can't think of any.
    Last edited by A1337STI; 07-08-2015 at 08:08 PM.
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

50 caution yump

Quote Originally Posted by A1337STI View Post
    I

impreza (90s awd) 58/42 2900 lbs Crappy weight distribution (fine for racing other imprezas with bad weight distribution though LOL )

Is there a car (not truck) with Worse weight distribution that is used in racing? i can't think of any.
    When I put my old legacy on the scales, it was around 2850 race ready, with a 53/47 distribution.
    #542 - 1991 Subaru Legacy Open Class

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 oversquare right

Last time i had mine on scales it was a FWD car, and it weighted 2450 race ready (with out me in it) but the weight distribution was about 61% front (probably good for a fwd car) I recall one front corner at 805 and a rear at 495 .. (car may have had the rear too high up though) wonder what i'm at now , the service manual says the awd version is 175 lbs more.

that's a really good improvement MConte 53/47 ! wonder how much of that is due to the legacy chassis and how much is due to you doing mods?
    Last edited by A1337STI; 07-08-2015 at 09:01 PM.
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by A1337STI View Post
    I think just because you said FWD, and we are thinking what you want is a Group 2 car (could be FWD or RWD) and a FWD impreza is still group 2..

If you don't care about which class you end up in . Open Light is pretty happening in most parts of the country. Group 2 is bigger. Probably more tempting to dump money in open light than in Group 2 ..

On paper i like the AE86 Corrolla (83-87 Corolla) 2200 lbs, RWD, and compatible with Some Mr2 engines 53/47 weight distribution.. but they are usually priced way to much because of all the Initial D fan boys etc. (Takumi !!!!)

No clue what their suspension is like. really with any of these cars though i'd just call JVL for suspension ..

240 SX 53/47 weight distribution 2800 lbs

Volvo 240 50/50 weight distribution . 2,800 lb <-- Man if only someone had suggested one of these.. that's some pretty amazing balance!

Alex, comparing stock car weights and balance is kinda "less than useful"....
    Looking at actual weights over the years RWD corollas seem to come in historically around 2400 lbs
    Suspension is simple old school struts in front and 5 linked solid axle with a whopping 6.2" ring gear and I think 22mm diameter axles
    Not bad as it sits..
    But...........stratospheric prices for pounded on cars...
    The 4 active cars--recently active---had all gone over to a 7.2" axle with 29mm halfshafts and big discs, nice caliper---and in front different knuckles with much bigger bearings, and big discs, and stock 4 piston calipers..
    All directly off ordinary Volvo 240s

240 Nissan; Good cars, weak --as in fail quickly---rear links for their IRS...Good selection of engines...good engines....
    Same problem as Corollas: rare and too too expensive...No idea of real "ready to race" weight

240 Volvo----not quite 50/50 empty--but with crew in, damn near good as can be....weight..here are weights of cars at some event 20 years ago:

Just for comparison, Group a cars...

GrpN cars:

Now what could be interesting---but not on this poor guys thread---would be to look at the sppeds on stage, out of corners that the various cars do..
    Big eyebrow raising figures, I assure you...
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

The huge practice will in general spread the whole affirmation diagram, setting up your reaction keys, crushed with checked data. They're a completed decision to move past the test. Made on Exam INSTC_V7 Guide, these Questions help you with learning the authentic test framework and practice it going before venturing through the examination.

100 K left 2

Nope, I can't understand any of these data. I guess that's only normal, I'm no programmer or IT guy.