Special Stage Forums banner

map lights

4K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  LamarCouncil 
#1 ·
I plan on getting a new map light for the next event as the one we used for the last 2 was a little 5 dollar number from the local meijer...... Granted it worked pretty good, but its just not tuff..... I have seen the Terra trip units on a few web pages, but have not seen them in person..... Is this the setup to use? Any other out there worth lookin at?

Larry

#2 ·
We used a terra light for years. It's kinda the standard. Very tough and versatile. Be sure to bring extra bulbs though, as they burn out at really inconvenient times, and no one ever seems to have spares.

FYI a year or two ago my codriver sent me an old Grimes instrument light for airplanes and had me install it. It shines over the shoulder, is adjustable, has a red lens, and is removable for searching around the car. Once I saw it I loved it. I think I might have one or two laying around in my Dad's piles of airplane parts, otherwise check ebay, or search the web for some aircraft bone yards. Check mine out at LSPR if you wanna know what it looks like.

Dennis Martin
dennis@mamotorsports.com
920-432-4845

#7 ·
I have the Hella too. Mounted to a crossmember in the roof just to the left and slightly behind the codriver. The head clips into the supplied clip mounted to the reinforcement metal above the windshield.

Looks real nice. Dont really get to use it much doing hillclimbs and rally-x's. Maybe if we ever get to do a rally we will remember I put it in and use it.

#8 ·
Whatever you choose, bring along a couple of chemical light sticks and keep them close at hand. Mid-stage is no place to try changing an unexpectedly burned out light bulb.

#10 ·
>Whatever you choose, bring along a couple of chemical light
>sticks and keep them close at hand. Mid-stage is no place to
>try changing an unexpectedly burned out light bulb.

Dang, that's a good idea. I wish I'd thought of it, especially
after our maplight when out in the middle of a stage at Gorman
last month. The annoying thing is I have several of those in my
scuba diving rig.

#11 ·
>>Whatever you choose, bring along a couple of chemical light
>>sticks and keep them close at hand. Mid-stage is no place to
>>try changing an unexpectedly burned out light bulb.
>
>Dang, that's a good idea. I wish I'd thought of it,
>especially
>after our maplight when out in the middle of a stage at
>Gorman
>last month. The annoying thing is I have several of those in
>my
>scuba diving rig.

I have 2-3 Mini Mag-Lites in my codriver bag. I've never had to use one to read the notes, though.

Adrian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.