2015 GRC - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 GRC

HOLY HELL Someone who finally speaks up with something intellegent to say. This is the best thing I've read on this forum in a while.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by oregonwings View Post
    The other reason it is successful is that the racing has now become quite good. Personally I prefer stage rally as drivers are taken out only because of their own mistakes, not because of 8 cars trying to fit into a single lane in turn 1. I've been very critical of the series and those turn 1 issues. However, as I've watched the series evolve and grow, the track designs have changed to avoid much of the turn 1 calamity seen in the past. This isn't true for every track, but if you followed the series last year you would notice as the year went on the organizers experimented with different design elements. The most successful were the tracks having either a long sweeping turn 1 that narrowed to a tight turn 2 naturally forcing the cars into single file, or when they would put the "joker" at the beginning so that the cars can split half taking the joker and the other half going the traditional route. These methods were quite successful in reducing red flags to the point that many events had none whatsoever.

Oh, and X-Games? Even Red Bull GRC realized those were no longer a good idea for the championship as the tracks could not be made to the specifications they wanted and X-Games has a lot of less experienced guest drivers that could affect those trying to compete in the full series. So the X-Games GRC races are an exhibition for X-Games medals only, they are no longer part of the championship

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 K right 4

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy View Post

And for the record, everyone in NH was there for the asphalt roundy round stuff it seemed.

Its hard to tell the hype from actual success is all. Even Stadium Super Trucks are more outwardly successful appearing than GRC and has a dedicated fanbase. So wadunno.
    Sure, in 2012 GRC pigtailed off the NASCAR audience. But keep in mind they are moving into their 3rd season of not doing that. With Xgames the exception, Their audience is 100% genuine RX fans.
    SST has piggy backed off other events for two years now. Be it Indy, Sand Sport Super Show or V8 Supercars. 6 of their 10 race season this year are paired with other races.
    Last edited by rallikid; 03-27-2015 at 10:39 AM.

100 K right 4

In 2014 GRC had factory involvement from FIVE different manufactures. Albeit varying levels of involvement, from Ford putting factory support behind 2 teams to Chevy providing Moro with technical support. What is the last series to be able to say that? Maybe Pirelli World Challenge or TUDOR? Certainly not NASCAR, or F1.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the compliment 555ftw! I tried my best to give GRC a chance, especially since their early seasons were a bit of a joke, however it was obvious it had potential. It wasn't all the fault of the series organizers as the then very new series didn't have the management structure it does today. There were a lot of people (drivers, teams, sponsors) trying to tug the early series in different directions ...and of course the direction they wanted is whatever benefited that team, driver, or sponsor. When Colin Dyne took over and Red Bull came on there were major changes in management, rules, points, and most importantly the focus for the series. It frustrated some, but now all are enjoying the benefits. Following the evolution has been sometimes frustrating, but mostly it's been fun to see what solutions they come up. 2015 will be their best season yet, albeit missing one manufacturer. Hyundai isn't returning as a manufacturer, which is sad considering Rhys Millen finally got the car dialed in by the second half of the season. Even though Hyundai won't be a manufacturer it's possible we could see Rhys Millen do a couple of privateer entries in the Veloster later in the season.

GRC is getting better, thats for sure

100 K left 2

Me personally, I feel like on paper GRC looks like a good idea but i just dont like it. All of the drivers are like you said they're from some sort of an extreme sport like motocross or bmx and now they want to drive cars sponsered by the same ole energy drinks that sponsored them back in motocross or bmx. Again me personally I prefer stage rally. but who knows maybe ill like it if i see one in person.

International Rallying Icon Brian J's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by usafwfm View Post
    All of the drivers are like you said they're from some sort of an extreme sport like motocross or bmx...
    Um, no. This statement is so incorrect, it tells me you have zero idea of who is actually competing in the series at this point.
    -Brian Johnson

Its pretty typical Brian, people bashing GRC with "oh I went to one event" or the classic, "I just don't like it.. Idiots

Non Extreme sports guys
    Tanner
    Speed
    Block
    Wiman
    PK Jr
    Sandell
    Dyne
    Arpin
    Millen
    Gilmour
    Moro
    Sverre

Extreme !!1!11! guys
    Bucky
    Deegan (when he shows up)
    Pastrana (when he shows up

That looks like a series full of extreme guys to me
    Go home, you're drunk

International Rallying Icon Brian J's Avatar

Yup. And of those 3 "extreme" guys, Travis has been an actual racer for quite some time, as has Deegan, both having won championships in other, 4 wheeled racing disciplines. Even Bucky has done some other stuff behind the wheel. If folks don't like the series, that's fine, but at least know WHY you don't like it.
    -Brian Johnson

At the end of the day, its not good racing (to watch). Pretty simple.

In this regard, WRX demolishes it. I don't blame the talent, or the people organizing it. I blame it on a flawed concept of using inappropriate tracks. I have no doubt GRC would be amazing with proper tracks. I'd go so far as to say I'd look at selling the current rallycar and somehow try to get down there for a couple of events, even if in the Lites.

I have watched GRC from its inception. When nobody else was back in 2013, I was ripping and uploading the series. I want it to succeed, which is part of the reason I flew out east to attend an event (and New Hampshire was wicked btw, the best event of that season both in person and on TV).

As for manufacturer support, while awesome, any series that relies on sponsorship of that sort (read $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) can die a quick death if people start pulling out. RM is a perfect example with Hyundai, on again, off again, not enough money/time to develop the car to be at the front of the pack.
    Adam

Blew up the clutch at PFR, back at it for Big White!