Special Stage Forums banner

2015 GRC

15K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  gizzmo 
#1 ·
Looks like GRC should be a little more interesting than even last year was?

*Chip Ganassi Racing in now with new team of Arpin and Deegin in Msport Cars

*Foust and Speed back and both in Beetles

*Bucky and Sverre still in subarus

*bunch of new lites entries

*new schedule

I'm sure I'm missing things, but anyone else excited for the first turn one pile up of the year?? :D

#5 ·
Huh. Interesting. I truly thought it had gone. Are they still in X Games or has the stadium truck racing replaced it there also?
In the 21-60 age group the most number of people of any given age is 21 so probably smart to appeal to them.

#6 ·
This is the Series with Foust and Block right? I was watching it intermittently last year. my nephew who is 13 wants to go and watch .. but only after i told him about it, he didn't know anything about it . he lives in Vegas.

cool stuff. :)

#9 ·
As a rally editor for OpenPaddock.net I've covered a lot of the GRC and it's evolution over the past few years. Is it dead or dying? FAR FROM IT! Chip Ganassi Racing just announced this week they are joining the Red Bull GRC fray and using Ford Fiesta's built by M-Sport (like Ken Block) not the Olsbergs machines built by Andreas Eriksson.

Why is it popular among sponsors and teams? Because it specifically markets to the "extreme sports" enthusiast age bracket from 16-30. I've interviewed Colin Dyne the CEO of Red Bull GRC and he's said himself that is a target of the series. They also have a TV package with NBC, and that's the real kicker. Even NASCAR is noticing a decline in viewers, largely because the younger generation isn't willing to sit in front of a TV watching cars go in circles for two and a half hours. The short sprint style races are becoming more and more popular than the endurance races. An example would be the Pirelli World Challenge which are 50 minute timed races with sports cars which has seen an explosion of manufacturer entries. Red Bull GRC has that short sprint style of racing that younger or busier people can absorb.

Of course the TV package being on the main NBC network is a big part of why GRC is successful too. Sponsors still think that TV is the only way to get seen vs. those that argue the internet can be equally successful. Broadcast TV or Radio is full of lies though. They estimate how many supposedly millions of people are tuning in, where as online videos show reality of how many people actually click to view something. Sponsors don't like reality as it is much more bleak looking in numbers than the broadcast world of estimated viewers. That's a whole other argument, but the main thing is that sponsors and manufacturers believe the GRC is a platform that gets them seen. In dealing with the "cable cutters", it is rumored that this year's events will also be viewable on RedBull.tv.

The other reason it is successful is that the racing has now become quite good. Personally I prefer stage rally as drivers are taken out only because of their own mistakes, not because of 8 cars trying to fit into a single lane in turn 1. I've been very critical of the series and those turn 1 issues. However, as I've watched the series evolve and grow, the track designs have changed to avoid much of the turn 1 calamity seen in the past. This isn't true for every track, but if you followed the series last year you would notice as the year went on the organizers experimented with different design elements. The most successful were the tracks having either a long sweeping turn 1 that narrowed to a tight turn 2 naturally forcing the cars into single file, or when they would put the "joker" at the beginning so that the cars can split half taking the joker and the other half going the traditional route. These methods were quite successful in reducing red flags to the point that many events had none whatsoever.

Oh, and X-Games? Even Red Bull GRC realized those were no longer a good idea for the championship as the tracks could not be made to the specifications they wanted and X-Games has a lot of less experienced guest drivers that could affect those trying to compete in the full series. So the X-Games GRC races are an exhibition for X-Games medals only, they are no longer part of the championship.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the Red Bull GRC isn't dying, it is growing whether we like the full-contact sport it is or not. The age demographic it hits is what the sponsors want and they have the TV package to boot. The racing has become much better than it was, and I look forward to more improvements this season. Track design and track size seem to be the most important elements to prevent the wrecks. About 0.75 mile length seems to be about right. If nothing else, watching Red Bull GRC has been quite interesting in just seeing a new series evolve.

#11 ·
HOLY HELL Someone who finally speaks up with something intellegent to say. This is the best thing I've read on this forum in a while.
Thank you

The other reason it is successful is that the racing has now become quite good. Personally I prefer stage rally as drivers are taken out only because of their own mistakes, not because of 8 cars trying to fit into a single lane in turn 1. I've been very critical of the series and those turn 1 issues. However, as I've watched the series evolve and grow, the track designs have changed to avoid much of the turn 1 calamity seen in the past. This isn't true for every track, but if you followed the series last year you would notice as the year went on the organizers experimented with different design elements. The most successful were the tracks having either a long sweeping turn 1 that narrowed to a tight turn 2 naturally forcing the cars into single file, or when they would put the "joker" at the beginning so that the cars can split half taking the joker and the other half going the traditional route. These methods were quite successful in reducing red flags to the point that many events had none whatsoever.

Oh, and X-Games? Even Red Bull GRC realized those were no longer a good idea for the championship as the tracks could not be made to the specifications they wanted and X-Games has a lot of less experienced guest drivers that could affect those trying to compete in the full series. So the X-Games GRC races are an exhibition for X-Games medals only, they are no longer part of the championship

#10 ·
I was involved with American rallycross from the very start with Rally America in New Jersey and then through the first season as GRC when it was owned by Brian Gale and Chip Pankow. Right from the start it was a highly entertaining show for spectators on-site, online or on TV. You have to admit racing can often being boring to watch, but the short multi-heat format is like Top 40 radio. You may not like this song, but wait 2 minutes and maybe you'll like the next one.

Though TV2GO parted company with the promoters after the inaugural season, the potential of the series was obvious to all involved and I've remained a loyal fan. To their credit the promoters have continued to tweak the rules, the tracks, the format and the schedule and almost always for the better. It's improving and growing with each season. As for television vs internet, a couple of insights in defense of broadcast. Advertising budgets are targeted to geographic areas. Subaru of America doesn't invest to sell cars in other countries. They aim to promote sales at home. So for them global internet reach is nice, but only the domestic audience counts. Secondly, a live webcast is "destination viewing". The viewer has to consciously seek it out. Network TV on the other hand garners much of its audience from grazers who just happen to stumble across the show. Riveting eye candy like GRC is great at arresting these grazers during live shows or promos in other non-related programming. The perfect solution (and GRC has it with Red Bull TV) is live network TV in the home market plus live online for foreign fans and on-demand viewing later. GRC deserves credit also for waking up the FIA. Rallycross was an old established sport in Europe, but the Global Rally Cross model prompted the FIA to revamp their sport and relaunch it as World Rx. Now we have two booming rallycross series and the future looks bright for both.

#13 ·
In 2014 GRC had factory involvement from FIVE different manufactures. Albeit varying levels of involvement, from Ford putting factory support behind 2 teams to Chevy providing Moro with technical support. What is the last series to be able to say that? Maybe Pirelli World Challenge or TUDOR? Certainly not NASCAR, or F1.

#14 ·
Thanks for the compliment 555ftw! I tried my best to give GRC a chance, especially since their early seasons were a bit of a joke, however it was obvious it had potential. It wasn't all the fault of the series organizers as the then very new series didn't have the management structure it does today. There were a lot of people (drivers, teams, sponsors) trying to tug the early series in different directions ...and of course the direction they wanted is whatever benefited that team, driver, or sponsor. When Colin Dyne took over and Red Bull came on there were major changes in management, rules, points, and most importantly the focus for the series. It frustrated some, but now all are enjoying the benefits. Following the evolution has been sometimes frustrating, but mostly it's been fun to see what solutions they come up. 2015 will be their best season yet, albeit missing one manufacturer. Hyundai isn't returning as a manufacturer, which is sad considering Rhys Millen finally got the car dialed in by the second half of the season. Even though Hyundai won't be a manufacturer it's possible we could see Rhys Millen do a couple of privateer entries in the Veloster later in the season.

#16 ·
Me personally, I feel like on paper GRC looks like a good idea but i just dont like it. All of the drivers are like you said they're from some sort of an extreme sport like motocross or bmx and now they want to drive cars sponsered by the same ole energy drinks that sponsored them back in motocross or bmx. Again me personally I prefer stage rally. but who knows maybe ill like it if i see one in person.

#18 ·
Its pretty typical Brian, people bashing GRC with "oh I went to one event" or the classic, "I just don't like it.. Idiots

Non Extreme sports guys
Tanner
Speed
Block
Wiman
PK Jr
Sandell
Dyne
Arpin
Millen
Gilmour
Moro
Sverre

Extreme !!1!11! guys
Bucky
Deegan (when he shows up)
Pastrana (when he shows up

That looks like a series full of extreme guys to me
Go home, you're drunk

#19 ·
Yup. And of those 3 "extreme" guys, Travis has been an actual racer for quite some time, as has Deegan, both having won championships in other, 4 wheeled racing disciplines. Even Bucky has done some other stuff behind the wheel. If folks don't like the series, that's fine, but at least know WHY you don't like it.

#20 ·
At the end of the day, its not good racing (to watch). Pretty simple.

In this regard, WRX demolishes it. I don't blame the talent, or the people organizing it. I blame it on a flawed concept of using inappropriate tracks. I have no doubt GRC would be amazing with proper tracks. I'd go so far as to say I'd look at selling the current rallycar and somehow try to get down there for a couple of events, even if in the Lites.

I have watched GRC from its inception. When nobody else was back in 2013, I was ripping and uploading the series. I want it to succeed, which is part of the reason I flew out east to attend an event (and New Hampshire was wicked btw, the best event of that season both in person and on TV).

As for manufacturer support, while awesome, any series that relies on sponsorship of that sort (read $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) can die a quick death if people start pulling out. RM is a perfect example with Hyundai, on again, off again, not enough money/time to develop the car to be at the front of the pack.

#21 ·
It is still very young, as a result it's evolving pretty quickly. It's not perfect, but is improving steadily. Track design is getting better. The level of competition is rising. There will be growing pains of course. Rules are coming in line with FIA, which will make cross series competition easier when schedules allow. As mentioned above, red flags diminished as the year progressed. Schedule has ramped up this year as well.
There a lot of good folks working hard on it to make it a success. There will be hiccups along the way. Overall it is in a far better place than it was two years ago.

#22 ·
Considering the fact that I went from sitting and watching for 3+hours of live stream on ESPN3 to trying to get tickets to the Redbull GRC NY event last year, i'd say as a fan it's making a huge progress. I'm hoping to be able to get tickets to the DC event, but even if i cant, i'll be sure to watch/dvr the event. It's been an absolute blast this year looks to be even better than last.

#23 ·
I'm a stage rally freak. I went to work for Andretti last year on the Polos and once involved with the series I've taken a much greater interest in it. The racing was actually great this season all year and the cars were all extremely close in performance making it a driver's race(hence Speed being champion). My complaints with the series are the marketing of Ken Block!*

*and some other guys too

I'm of the opinion that they've grown past the point of needing to use just him as their marketing tool. There's a LOT of talented drivers and amazing teams competing.

#24 ·
I'm of the opinion that they've grown past the point of needing to use just him as their marketing tool. There's a LOT of talented drivers and amazing teams competing.
As a guy who watches GRC purely from the couch (but I follow it quite closely), I agree that there are lots of talented drivers and great teams with incredible funding. But it's amazing how many of these drivers appear to be in-no-way marketable. Much of the time these drivers talk like robots (Dyne), appear scared to death of mics and cameras, or you can't understand a word that comes out of their mouths. Also, I can't stress enough - people want to see cars they recognize. I know that funding is an issue here, but when entire liveries change (colors, logos, the whole shibang) from one day to another in a single weekend, it's not helping build a fan base for that driver.

But that's just me.....from the couch.

#25 ·
I know exactly what you're saying about driver marketability. I just got sick of hearing Ken say "well we had bad luck" after every race the last half of this season. No, someone did what you like to do and pushed you out of the way. Turn about something something.

#27 ·
On the contrary. I LOVE what Ken's done for the sport and he's an absolutely stand up guy. He's never been anything but nice to me. My thinking is that it would maybe help some of the less "in the camera's eye" guys more how to deal with it. Give the guys that are consistently top 5 finishers some love. He could crash/get pushed into someone/roll off the jump and be out and they're still giving him loads of attention. The only way to get the other drivers to a bigger status is to give them some love too ;)

Regarding the Beetle chassis, I wasn't involved with it at all. It was under development in Europe when I was there. I do know that VW is WAY more heavily involved with these than they were the Polos. The Polos were leased from Marklund Motorsport from my understanding and were the previous year's cars from what I could tell. I know that Andretti is a wealth of knowledge and they applied it ALL to the GRC program. The combo of VW Motorsports in Germany and Andretti here is kind of a team to watch regardless of the car. We did win our first GRC race ever ;)

#28 ·
Its the same issue that a lot of people had with Ken when he was doing a lot of stage event still.

Ken Block the person is a pretty decent/good guy.

Ken Block the personality, well, he is either "sick" or you are sick of him.

From watching the events this year, Ken was the recipient of other people's decisions at a pretty impressive rate, but he helped perpetuate the attitude of win or crash everyone in the first corner the last two years as well as "the race craft be dammed I'm coming through" urgency that is exasperated by the lack of a proper joker at most tracks that I just can't feel sorry for him when it goes wrong....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.