Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Brake Pads for Rally

Default Best Brake Pads for Rally

Out of these options who has used them and what were your thoughts

1. Willwood BP 40
    2. Ferodo 2500
    3. Hawk DT-30
    4. Willwoood Poly Matrix A

I have tried the Willwood BP 30 and Poly Matrix A, liked the BP 30 when I was running the stock brakes with a vacuum booster. Since I switched to the Willwood Dual Master set-up I find the Poly Matrix A have more bite when they are cold and seem to bite better with less pedal pressure than the BP 30's required. I also noticed the rotor wear with the Poly Matrix A is less.

I still would like to find a pad with a bit more cold bite and similar performance characteristics when Smoking Hot!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Porterfield R4
    Grant Hughes - 1985 Merkur XR$TI Group 5
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215

50 caution yump

CL RC5+ is what I have now. Pretty happy so far!
    #542 - 1991 Subaru Legacy Open Class

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

The Hawk DTC-30 will probably be the best pad all around. Might not have the most bite but will have the best modulation and and least torque rise with temperature.

But unless you're being given those pads for free, I wouldnt use any of them in any serious rally situation.

It all depends on car weight, brake sizes, power, 4wd vs 2wd, turbo, na etc....

But something suitable for non-power brakes would be:

Endless N45S
    Carbone Lorraine RC8
    Ferrodo DS2.11
    Cobalt XR1 and XR2
    Hawk DTC60-70
    PFC07
    P. Ferreira

Quote Originally Posted by Cosworth View Post
    The Hawk DTC-30 will probably be the best pad all around. Might not have the most bite but will have the best modulation and and least torque rise with temperature.

But unless you're being given those pads for free, I wouldnt use any of them in any serious rally situation.

It all depends on car weight, brake sizes, power, 4wd vs 2wd, turbo, na etc....

But something suitable for non-power brakes would be:

Endless N45S
    Carbone Lorraine RC8
    Ferrodo DS2.11
    Cobalt XR1 and XR2
    Hawk DTC60-70
    PFC07
    Did you forget this was a US rally forum?
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215

150 K Right 4 Into Truck Dust BajaBill's Avatar

I use the Wilwood Poly Matrix pads, they work right from the start without having to warm them up, very little to no fade on very long down hill high speed runs (130 MPH) and our Raptor weighs 5700 pounds race ready with occupants.

Bill Holmes
    Ford Raptor #44

Quote Originally Posted by granthughes View Post
    Did you forget this was a US rally forum?
    With all the sequential gearboxes craze going on, I tend to forget some people still want cheap brakes.
    P. Ferreira

Quote Originally Posted by Cosworth View Post
    With all the sequential gearboxes craze going on, I tend to forget some people still want cheap brakes.
    We need a good solution for a boosted stock brake system that will hold up with stock rotors and calipers with neverending left foot braking with instant bite, no fade, and cheap. Oh yeah, and we really want to be able to trail brake forever!

What's your thoughts on the Cobalt pads? I've thought about bringing them in. We had considered them for the Chumpcar at one point.
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215

Default Best Brake Pads for Rally

Anyone know the difference between the hawk 9012 and the DTC60-70?

Quote Originally Posted by granthughes View Post
    We need a good solution for a boosted stock brake system that will hold up with stock rotors and calipers with neverending left foot braking with instant bite, no fade, and cheap. Oh yeah, and we really want to be able to trail brake forever!

What's your thoughts on the Cobalt pads? I've thought about bringing them in. We had considered them for the Chumpcar at one point.
    Geeez anything else? whats your xmas list like? Boosted stock brakes systems number one priority is temperature control, modulation, release bite, etc is all out the door because the booster kills and feel and sensitivity. So on the cheap side I would loot at a high performance pad like the Hawk HP or whatever they're called these days. People need to understand that its not the pad heat range that you need to worry about, its the disc alloy ability to take the thermal shocks and the caliper/pistons/fluid's ability to cope with the heat. What I mean is in a stock brake system you can get brake failure long before the pad material actually fades. Any race pad material!!! Yes technology is that good, none of the crap friction we used to deal with 15+ years ago.

Ok Cobalt, great friction material, its a sintered material like Carbone Lorraine so heat control is key. The problem with Cobalt is that they became so expensive since they picked up all that GrandAm business.

Quote Originally Posted by NateEllis View Post
    Anyone know the difference between the hawk 9012 and the DTC60-70?
    9012 is the old Hawk blue, has good bite but kills discs and its like an on/off swtich. The new generation DTC series is much more controlable.
    P. Ferreira