FS - 2005 BMW 325xi for Open Class/Open Lights - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FS - 2005 BMW 325xi for Open Class/Open Lights

Quote Originally Posted by A1337STI View Post
    Wikipedia says 168 HP for that motor . RS 2.5 is 165. but if its got a Getrag 250 it would have a really nice advantage over a stock rs box:
    Getrag 250 :
    1st 4.23:1
    2nd 2.52:1
    3rd 1.66:1
    4th 1.22:1
    5th 1.0:1
    Not to mention that chassis and suspension is Really nice. and i would think worlds better weight distribution too!
    +1 for a quick sale. hopefully to the south west! lol
    Around 190 HP stock and pretty easy to get a bit more, chip, intake, exhaust and leave the rest stock.
    The AWD gearboxes have the following ratios.
    4.21, 2.49, 1.66, 1.24, 1.00
    Final Drive: 3.23
    So not the best torque multiplier but pretty decent. Since Open Light is HP limited the lack of proper rally differentials, active centers, and such that make nothing other than an Evo or STI competitive in Open Class is not as big of a deal.
    Weight is my biggest question. Then again, my E36 race car is under 2700 without much effort and started around 3100. I think E46 RWD cars are around 100 pounds heavier by specs, AWD ones another 150-200. So hopefully maybe in the 2900s for rally spec?

Cool car. I keep my eye out for one to build for Open Light around here.
    Grant Hughes - 1985 Merkur XR$TI Group 5
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Grant your thoughts exactly. It would take some serious custom diff work along with forced air induction to be competitive in the open class I think. Open lights is a different story though. I've driven 2.5RS's and the BMW is quite a bit faster, especially from that 50 to 130mph mark. This car easily hits 130mph (governed) right now on the local freeway going around Phoenix in traffic. You don't need a long run to get there. As far as weight goes, I think it's about 3100 or so right now. It could get a lot lighter with exhaust, power steering pump delete, and air conditioning delete. I kept that in because I'm not sure who will buy the car and I wanted to have that since I live in the desert.

100 oversquare right

making me want to switch rally cars... LOL
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

The car drives very nice! I wish I could afford to race it. I am scared to race it because I'm worried is ball it up the first time out and total it out. I put way too much money and time into it for that. Btw the suspension alone took a lot of design and fab work to put together. If you're wanting to build your own I have engineering drawings for the parts needed.

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by lueker_10 View Post
    If you're wanting to build your own I have engineering drawings for the parts needed.

It would be very interesting to see what you did there..
    Last edited by John Vanlandingham; 06-05-2015 at 11:31 AM.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

I can post some pictures of the suspension but I'm not sure how to do that on this site. Can I send them to you through a pm or something?

400 flat to crest

I can post some pictures of the suspension but I'm not sure how to do that on this site. Can I send them to you through a pm or something?
    I don't know what format your engineering drawings are but if you can make 'em simple jpeg you could send them to normal email--PMs get purged too often

normal email is janvanvurpa then the @ thing, then Geeeeee whiz mail doot com

And piccies are good too, I like piccies.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

100 oversquare right

photo bucket is easy to sign up for and easy to share images on forums.

you sign up

upload

and they give you a button to copy a sharing link , and then you paste that on here.

may seem a bit daunting if you haven't done that before, but just give it a whirl. I wanna see the cool engineering too, even if it won't make sense to me lol
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

I will send a few pics and ONE engineering drawing for a part required for the lower mounts in the front :-). I can't share the entire design for free but id be willing to help someone if they were trying to tackle a suspension build ;-). I will get those out to the email address and may set up a photobucket later.

400 flat to crest

I will send a few pics and ONE engineering drawing for a part required for the lower mounts in the front :-). I can't share the entire design for free but id be willing to help someone if they were trying to tackle a suspension build ;-). I will get those out to the email address and may set up a photobucket later.

There is no "engineering" in this sort of stuff.
    As a engineer I know who is very smart --a rarity I know---"this is just connecting the dots"...

Me I'm just mostly curious...I already engineer suspension..just curious to see if everything is as blatantly obvious as I imagine it. I was more curious abouit OAL, top mountingm, travel, valving... spring rates..just curiosity..
    But speaking of engineering, I just:
    Engineered 2 Subie 04 top mounts, 2 Opel CIH flywheels--which maybe today get bolt circles engineered into them---and a whole set of 04 Subie inverted 50mm Struts in the last 3-4 days.
    Damn I need to engineer some packaging and get some springs drop-engineered to Texas!
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat