AP Racing Shuttle Valve Alternatives? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AP Racing Shuttle Valve Alternatives?

Dramamine is for DramaQueens Morison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Vanlandingham View Post
    ...as a self confessed braking perv, my front/rear balance is such that when I brake hard---and when I brake I brake hard, a gentle twitch of the steering wheel will nudge the car sideways, so I don't need to use the handbrake.
    Seems we have another thing in common.
    This past summer I had the opportunity to take a couple of car owners for rides in their cars and the feedback was generally surprise at how hard I braked, and how little I moved the steering wheel. The test stage had some tight corners, and was about as narrow as stages get in western Canada. Never even looked for the handbrake in either car.
    Keith Morison
    Morison Communications

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Carthik View Post
    Are there any alternatives to the 87234893462343 zillion dollar shuttle valve from AP Racing?

http://www.apracing.com/product_deta...tle_valve.aspx

Cheers,

Carthik
    The best alternative is not using one. I've worked in this industry for many years and have yet to see a racecar or a WRC with one. Things like that are normally bandaids, or used for different type of applications like military or commercial vehicle types.

If you're dead set on prooving that a square wheel will is what you need, then look up some commercial/industrial type of shuttle valves. You might even find them in the heavy duty industry for tucks or airplanes, Just make sure its capable of taking up to 1500 PSI.

Google works wonders in seconds:

P. Ferreira

Default Actual response

I don't think you need this. We mostly just plumb the rear brake line through a master for the handbrake, as if the reservoir for the handbrake master was the input from the rear master from the pedal. All drift cars including the factory Dodge Viper and all rally cars including my three Mitsu-sponsored Evos, my three Toyota-sponsored Scions, and even my M-Sport-derived and Ford-sponsored Fiesta were like this.

It makes for a little queerness if you handbrake and brake at the same time, but that's never been an issue in the last fifteen years of pro rally for me here. Occasionally it was actually an issue in drifting but I wasn't as good at that.

JVL, you're flat nuts. It's great that you've done so much with FWD. But everyone is entitled to all the arsenal they can engineer.

ACP

PS I use the hydraulic handbrake. It's OK.
    A
    Last edited by Andrew Comrie Picard; 01-26-2015 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Added PS

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Comrie Picard View Post

JVL, you're flat nuts. It's great that you've done so much with FWD. But everyone is entitled to all the arsenal they can engineer.

ACP

PS I use the hydraulic handbrake. It's OK.
    A
    I realised that I was when I saw that this guy is fixated on this thing that we all know is pointless, not needed, never used, but that he has asked the same question on several forums...and his pendantic and condesending lecturing about "read the title'.
    That is why i edited away any of the wasted efforts in trying to help the guy..
    You can lead a horse to water...

Hopefully the 20-30 lurkers who read about this will not be so obtuse......

So I'll make a note: I'm nuts for answering correctly that nobody needs this nonsense...and he's "engineering"

Free Bonus: I learned a new meaning for "engineering".

You're awesome too.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

The problem is that based on my calculations I can apply exactly 347.2 pounds of pressure to my 7:1 ratio brake pedal. So say I'm coming into a corner and I give 100% brake application then decide I need to pull the hydraulic handbrake and suddenly the pressure releases on the brake pedal. My leg is a machine and doesn't simply return to the same distance it was pushing before, and being brilliant I have the Chase Bays booster eliminator that uses one outlet for front and rear so suddenly the pressure to the front is reduced and voila, I'm dead.
    Grant Hughes - 1985 Merkur XR$TI Group 5
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215

Quote Originally Posted by Carthik View Post
    Are there any alternatives to the 87234893462343 zillion dollar shuttle valve from AP Racing?

http://www.apracing.com/product_deta...tle_valve.aspx

Cheers,

Carthik

in the end this is carthik's build and if carthik feels the need for a shuttle valve that is the end, we should help answer the question.

i will say i like the idea but the not the price.
    i have seen wrc cars do have some sort valve plumbed in to the hydro brake system after the hand brake master, one for each side, but i do not recall what they are called. any help here may help settle the question.

i did look at what demon tweeks is selling , wow!
    http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors...lic-handbrakes

Uh Oh, UH OH, UHH OHHH!!! johnhuebbe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post
    in the end this is carthik's build and if carthik feels the need for a shuttle valve that is the end, we should help answer the question.
    So if he feels the need to add {insert unneeded car part here} than we should help answer his question and not offer better advice?
    Behold the POWER of cheese! www.huebberally.com
    Organizer: 100aw.org & perryville.100aw.org/ | Rally Cars: 1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

yep!!!
    its all about choice

if he feels better with the part, who are we to its wrong or right?

if its not needed say its not needed but here are your options for that part.

the bigger question is, is rallying necessary ?
    are alloy wheels necessary?
    the list goes on

its a choice that hurts no one and adds a level of comfort to someone .
    Last edited by tdrrally; 01-27-2015 at 07:00 AM.

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post
    yep!!!
    its all about choice

if he feels better with the part, who are we to its wrong or right?

if its not needed say its not needed but here are your options for that part.

the bigger question is, is rallying necessary ?
    are alloy wheels necessary?
    the list goes on

its a choice that hurts no one and adds a level of comfort to someone .
    You're right.... that's why I edited away all those negative nay-saying from all the others, including my own.

Who is to say?
    It's just a choice, and if it makes somebody feel better then that's all that counts

After all, all opinions are all exactly equal, everybody is clearly always right for themself.
    Everybody is unique. And everybody deserves a Gold Star by their name every day for whatever they do...

Because who are we to say what is wrong or right?

Because the whole point of everything is always making sure that everybody always feels better about whatever they want...

That has worked so well where ever that is applied.

What could possibly go wrong?

Have an awesome day..Because everybody is awesome..And the more they spend, the awesomer they are.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

50 caution yump

Quote Originally Posted by MConte05 View Post
    And when you do use it, you just slightly tug on it. You'll never even notice the pedal moving. If I sit in the car and stomp on the brakes and yank the handbrake around I'll feel the pedal move.... barely.... but never notice it in competition.

I second this. I rarely use it though except launching, roads are big enough for the most part that just transferring the weight in the car is enough. . Most start locations are not flat; before the handbrake I used to use the factory one and sometimes wouldn't put it down all the way and would catch lightly leaving the e-brake on.
    Last edited by czwalga; 01-27-2015 at 08:05 AM.