Special Stage Forums banner

Sandblast Rally full with 112 racers, here's what's next

17K views 48 replies 23 participants last post by  Yellowhammer 
#1 ·
Here's the email I sent out to registered racers this morning, and it's here so any non-registered folks can know what's going on too.

Good morning everyone,

As of this morning, waitlisting has begun for cars, the first 45 slots are all paid up. (Motorcycles, it's not far off.) The entry list has been updated and all the unpaid entries have their race number replaced with W_ for now. All the currently waitlisted cars are unpaid, but when some pay, they will be listed in order like so: W1, W2, W3 and so on.

http://nasarallysport.com/results/2015-Sandblast-Rally-registration-entry-list.htm

I have been on a waiting list for a rally before, so I know what it's like and I'll address some of the concerns that I had. First, yes, order of getting on the waiting list is simply by when payment is received. Secondly, what about withdrawals? Typically, it's very natural to see ten percent of an entry field withdraw as we come closer to race date. After watching entry lists for ten years, that's what I would expect. Next, for anyone that is on a waiting list and there isn't room to race, the entire race fee (not the credit card fees, but the whole race fee) will be refunded.

From a practical point of view, we often do have very late withdrawals, like 24 hours before the race, so it's likely that the first few entries on the wait list will be told 'plan on coming'. I'll be asking for status updates from all racers and relaying that back to everyone.

In good news, this means that everyone at the event is paying the reserved or early entry fee. I think that's a great thing for rally, a low cost entry spread over a large field of racers. :)

Also, we'll likely be closing entry entirely in a while so we can focus on getting all the memberships, licenses, forms, vehicles, and so on managed. With an entry field this large, we have a lot of work to do. So, I want to encourage ALL racers to log in today and start working on getting their race and service vehicles in, their VINs listed, their service crew added, emergency contact people listed, getting licenses and memberships paid for, and so on. All the smiley/frowny faces have been updated so you'll know what to work on.

http://www.nasarallysport.com/main/database-log-in

This weekend is going to be nearly 60 degrees in Cheraw! So let the thoughts of the warm South inspire you to get out into that cold garage and start wrenching on those cars and bikes!

Anders

Updates as available I'll put here. And please do start getting to work on all the licenses and so forth! :D

See less See more
#5 ·
What does it take to get an exemption from the novice competitor orientation? Sandblast will be my first NASA rallymoto event but I've had many years of racing motorcycles and by the time the event starts I will have completed 4 Rally America events (two as driver and two as co-driver so I understand all aspects of the rally controls and scheduling).

The rally university mentions something about a form to fill out but doesn't have a link that I've found yet.

#11 ·
the Novice competitor orientation has to do with teaching you how to respond to an injured competitor at a rally event. in that there is a big master safety plan that someone has already thought out, the plan, and an injured rider needs you to comply and follow that plan to the letter.

there will be no wavier of the new competitor orientation

even if you have ton lots of track events, super cross, moto GP, etc. rally has a different procedures. :)

i've done a bunch of rallies, but even just taking a 2-3 year break, i'll do a novice competitor meeting my first rally back. it's not even required of me, but i plan to anyways. :)

#8 ·
Sand blast, first NRS event to have umbrella girls , and its the first NRS to need a waiting list.

i believe we have found the solution on how to get a big competitor count.

:p I'm quite sure that a quality event that runs on time, with good mileage for a low cost has nothing to do with its success... :p

well done Anders!

#14 · (Edited)
If you've done 4 events total (with RA or Nasa or any combination of the 2) (disclaimer Check the RULES!!! !!! )

I'm pretty sure you are no longer required a New competitors orientation meeting, period, and wouldn't need a wavier. ?

that's how it worked for me in the south west. the first 4 events i had to do the new competitor meeting , regardless of whether it was RA or NRA . and after 4 i stopped going.. i didn't file for a waiver , i just didn't go, and no one ever told me i did something wrong (i may have done something wrong ?)

looked it up for you

Nasa Rally Sport Rule book 2015 found online said:
1.5.18 New Competitor
Means a member of a competing crew who has participated as a
competitor in less than three stage Rallies.
you've done 4 stage events, you are not a new competitor you don't need to go to the NCO

had you done less than 4 , you would be, and there would be no wavier (well maybe there could be.. but why?)

that was my thinking. you've done less then 4 and are New, and then hey man don't ask for a waiver just go.

lol next time i won't try to help and notice the post that went un-noticed... lol no good deed goes unpunished and all that

here's where i found the definition for new competitor under 1.5.18 . don't just believing some good meaning jerk on the internet, verify it for yourself :
http://nasarallysport.com/rules-for...eral-Regulations-for-Rallies-Sections-1-2.pdf

:)

#15 · (Edited)
Sorry I didn't mean to come off as sarcastic lol, I was just wondering if you had some insider information I didn't have... Seems like a lot of that going around lately :p

Thanks though I did see that in the nasa rule book. Somewhere else though (can't find it right now for some reason) I swore it said a new nasa license holder has to attend the meeting unless a waiver is obtained.

Edit: found it, also in sandblast supps.

4.12 Accepted Licenses
All competitors, without exception, must currently be issued either:
 a NASA Rally Sport Competition License
 a CARS regional or CARS national rally license
Competitors purchasing a NASA Rally Sport license for the first time, or who have attended fewer than three Novice Competitor Orientations (NCOs), will need to attend the NCO, which is detailed in Section 22.

I guess I read that as fewer than three (NASA) NCOs

#31 ·
Since the rally is a little over 6 weeks away I thought I would add a post for volunteers for the rally. The entry list this year is huge (100+ racers) which means that we need volunteers more than ever to keep the rally running smoothly. So if you are not racing why not volunteer and help support your friends that are racing.

We try hard to make volunteering at the rally easy and fun. We have free camping Saturday night, super cool event t-shirts, lunch and dinner Saturday is provided, and you get to hang out with the racers at the after party. Did I mention we have beer? You will also be entered into the volunteer raffle for more cool swag from the racers and fuel cards. Some volunteers qualify for fuel and lodging reimbursements based on travel distance to the rally on top of all that.

Volunteer Sign up:

http://www.nasarallysport.com/main/database-log-in

Current entry list:
http://www.nasarallysport.com/results/2015-Sandblast-Rally-registration-entry-list.htm

Volunteer Schedule (very preliminary):
http://www.nasarallysport.com/main/event-schedule?t=1

#40 ·
I love inn Cheraw. Its truly part of the sandblast experience for me, and I'd have it no other way. Every year I book my rooms, the owner remembers me. Its great! It even has WiFi... Sorta ;)

#42 ·
So Im puttin together my rally box for this event, since it was torn apart and ravaged in the move. Ill be volunteering but i usually have a couple boxes i take along on all rallies. truck has 3 fire ext and two different aid kits.

i take along:
Tool box
Normal truck box - yank strap, fire ext, emergency lights, flares, jumpers, shovel, cheap rivet set, emergency tool kit, other odds an ends ive thrown in over time

Rally box - 1gal/ea oil/gear lube, 2 qts brake fluid, 1gal coolant, brake cleaner, tyvec jumper, garbage bags, odd tools (tap/die, bearing kit, puller kit compression tester, timing light), nylon rope, rags, 800w inverter

anything else i should toss in the rally box? not like im worried about weighing the truck down.

oh ad i actually talked the wife into coming along.

#44 · (Edited)
I see that the Sandblast entry list has links to racer biographies, cool. Wow, Wages looks annoyed...

Or is that steely determination? :D

#45 ·
Yeah, he does. ;)

NRS started doing online racer bios with the "Racer of the Day" back in 2012, but just yesterday I coded the piece to enable them on entry lists.

Still working on pulling more data into bio page from the information we have in the database.

Anders

#47 ·
Lol. Yeah, I call that my Dr. Evil photo.

Interesting story. At MEFR in 2003(?), I was crewing for Cassidy and I heard someone call my name. I looked over my shoulder and had to squint a bit because of the light and Morgan snapped that photo. Pretty awesome. I've considered changing it but eh, I kind of like it!

#49 · (Edited)
[video]https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KLqIN_UtNUpg4A_Aj7w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTBzZz JoNGtoBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDMTY-?p=carolina+on+my+mind&vid=d3473af595fe2ea81580e250b36622de&l=6%3A04&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DVN.6 07996507182334199%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DK jGcIhxGP3c&tit=CAROLINA+IN+MY+MIND+by+Allison+Krauss+%26+Jerr y+Douglas&c=5&sigr=11bsl76ro&sigt=11l2q6gkk&sigi=11raifn3b&age=1227661827&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=mozilla&tt=b[/video]

:cool:

just in my mind ... again. oi vey.

next year,man ... next year. Good luck to all.

John B.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.