Sprinter van tow/camper conversion
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sprinter van tow/camper conversion

Default Sprinter van tow/camper conversion

So we are thinking of buying a Sprinter passenger van to use for family trips and race weekends. Idea is to get a passenger van and remove seats to build a back area for bed and slide out storage under.

Anyone have any advice? Years to avoid, mileage to avoid, known problems, etc?

Fun side note: Jeremy Wimpey stopped by on his way through town with his Sprinter a few months ago. My 2 year old daughter climbed up in his van and crawled around inside. She still says, "there's Jeremy" everytime we pass a Sprinter van on the road.
    Grant Hughes - 1985 Merkur XR$TI Group 5
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Something kinda like this is what I had in mind.
    http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...x?OHID=5704233

I've seen some local ~2003 ones with >200k miles that are much more affordable but not sure on the mileage and what we'd need to start repairing on something like that.
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215

don't cut

Lots of complaints online. Some easy fixes, some not. Mass amounts of them floating around tho.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

One suggestion about Van camping. There are a lot of tutorials online for making window screens for van camping, and even some places that will make them. They are absolutely worth it. Also make sure to put in some RV window shades. Depends how young your kids are, but they'll be up at dawn if light gets to them.

Dawn would be welcome with the two year old most of the time. She slept til 8:15 this morning. First time I missed the sunrise since like September. Though with my view, the sunrise isn't so bad.
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215

100 oversquare right

that is the bright side of toddler wake ups is seeing the sun rise .
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

My son turns 6 this month. He slept past 8am for the first time I can remember during Christmas break.
    We van camp at the hillclimbs. Wife and I put an inflatable queen been on the rear bench that reclines to form a bed. We pull the center seats out and have a child size inflatable mattress for my son that gets put there. I'm usually up before him on raceday, but the shades go along way to making the wife happy, and allows her to convince my son to chill out while she wakes up.

100 oversquare right bentmettle's Avatar

What is attracting you to the Sprinter?

I've heard enough folks talk about high repair costs that my interest in them waned.

The domestic cargo and 15 passenger vans are nearly free. And worth about that. For some reason, google is showing me a Nissan NV ad in this thread.

100 oversquare right

probably tons cheaper than an RV right?
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

For what it's worth, van camping with one youngin' is pretty tight. I have a chevy conversion van. Long wheelbase version. Tows decent, and it's better than a tent. However before long I think we'll upgrade to a used class C motorhome. The tough part there is getting enough seat belted seats, especially important for young ones that are car seat age.