Power solutions for GoPro cameras?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power solutions for GoPro cameras?

Default Power solutions for GoPro cameras?

Hi folks, seeking the collective wisdom of the group.

I've got a number of GoPro cameras I'm using and the power situation with them is subpar to say it nicely. Does anyone have experience with alternative power setups (than batteries)?

My requirements:

1. Waterproof (or a solution that can be waterproofed).
    2. Runs off of 12V input.
    3. Makes it easy to remove the camera when waterproofed

I've been eyeing the Swiftronix systems, but it's not clear to me if they have a voltage regulator IN the battery compartment replacement since they have a number of input options (like USB plug, cigarette lighter, Powertap, etc). My guess is that the regulator is in the black box and not in the plug/connector itself.

Input and thoughts are welcomed!
    Eric Wages
    Dirty Rallysport / facebook.com/dirtyrallysport / youtube.com/dirtyrallysport
    K1WRX
    2014 Sponsors: Innovative Tuning | KNS Brakes | Exhale Performance | Triple Caution | RallyTools

North America Cage Builder's Map

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Uh Oh, UH OH, UHH OHHH!!! johnhuebbe's Avatar

Have Ron make you a cable I think he's made some for Matthew Conte and Matt Brandenburg.
    Behold the POWER of cheese! www.huebberally.com
    Organizer: 100aw.org & perryville.100aw.org/ | Rally Cars: 1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

It's time for a sexy party! Joe Average's Avatar

I've got 2 GoPros.
    They are both pieces of Shit.
    That's all I got.
    Sean Gallagher
    2WD Less Traction....More Action!

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by johnhuebbe View Post
    Have Ron make you a cable I think he's made some for Matthew Conte and Matt Brandenburg.
    I tried. Ron's too good to respond to my emails!
    Eric Wages
    K1WRX
    2014 Sponsors: Innovative Tuning | KNS Brakes | Exhale Performance | Triple Caution | RallyTools

pressing on tirelessly

Sean, why do you say that?

I use a Contour but have been looking at GoPros because of concerns about Contour's corporate viability.

Jason McDaniel

I agree with the crap evaluation of GoPros. We've put a dozen in the SAAB and none of them last longer than 20 minutes with the vibrations. Hell, even the Terratrip didn't fail. I'm no fan of them at all.

pressing on tirelessly

How do they fail? Do they just turn off? I presume they don't die catastrophically or you wouldn't have a dozen of them in the first place.

Jason McDaniel

I didn't buy them after the first pair. Jeff, Jeff's parents and Brianne bought the rest. And yes, they failed catastrophically and never turned on again.

The failure mode is that they are in the car, recording, and then we start a stage. Sooner than later they cut off, sometimes as soon as 20 seconds, almost always corrupting the recording file. And they never operate again, having been vibrated to death.

I'll still use them, as I consider them fairly disposable. But I won't put a lot of money into a fleet of them, or use them as our primary video.

It's time for a sexy party! Joe Average's Avatar

What Jason said.

Another problem regarding remote starting of the camera...unless you drop $500.00 or so for a new, "Black Go Pro" with a remote, you can't turn them on 10 seconds before a stage start if you mount them outside the car. You have to push a button on the camera to turn them on. Not easy when your strapped in and trying to explain to a stage start crew which button to push.
    Looking around at SEMA, the Replay XD may be better, but building one off eBay parts may be the ticket.
    Sean Gallagher
    2WD Less Traction....More Action!

I love the image quality of the GoPros. Hate the battery life.
    The old drift cameras I previously used had a MUCH better battery life, but much worse image quality. It's all a tradeoff, really.
    Eric Wages
    K1WRX