Frozen North Racing 85 GTI G2 Build
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frozen North Racing 85 GTI G2 Build

200 square left

Default Frozen North Racing 85 GTI G2 Build

I have been a long term lurker and even owned a OL car for a while but decided to sell to finance an engagement ring. After a few years of on and off crewing for Team CONTE I finally got my own car again. Bought the 85 GTI that was for sale on here that is log booked but needs a lot of small finish work.

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?67105-FS-1985-Volkswagen-GTi-%96-Track-day-road-race-stage-rally-project&highlight=gti

I currently live in MI but grew up in MO and consider 100AW my home rally. My plan is to have the car finished and well shaken down so that 100AW 2015 will be the first rally for both me and the car. Luckily I have a great wife that is excited to sit next to me and go sideways on gravel. Here is the list of things that need to be done.

-Remove ground control sleeves and return to stock springs
    -Fix cold idle hunting issue
    -Move driver seat back to fit my tall ass
    -Convert Hella 4000's and 2000's to HID and make harness and ballast box
    -Make switch panel and wire in AUX relay and fuse box to power lights, amp, rally pc and various charger
    -Make a Peltor amp to phone cable
    -Convert to PS and fab in steering quickener
    -Full livery with vinyl or plasti-dip haven't decided
    -Add RA stuff and window name plates
    -Mount all of the safety items and replace expire passenger belts
    -Maintenance service oil, plugs etc

Really just a lot of small things but hard part is finding time that I'm not working to do them.

Wife made us a logo and already managed to score our first sponsor from JSC Speed!

Pile of wiring stuff that will start in on this weekend.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

200 square left

Peltor intercom added to my Bell Sport almost done. Just have to glue the fabric back in place and it will be good to go.

200 square left

Hella 4000s are now converted to HID and soldered up a power harness to run to relay box. Spent most of the time this weekend remove crimp but connectors and sketcky wiring from first owner.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Congrats!! Looks like you ARE ready!
    Gone to Group 5 Rear Wheel Drive!!! Car #50

I'll catch you if I can!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Herman...am/49931201369

200 square left

I had a question about suspension. Car currently has Bilstien group N with Ground control sleeves and 400inlbs spring. Is it better to leave those one and increase ride height or go back to stock spring? The cars first rally will be 100AW.

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by MST Sean View Post
    I had a question about suspension. Car currently has Bilstien group N with Ground control sleeves and 400inlbs spring. Is it better to leave those one and increase ride height or go back to stock spring? The cars first rally will be 100AW.
    That's terrible....And those inserts have only 160mm travel....You want more...they can be sent to Bilstein in San Diego and internal spacers rempved and you get them back with about 190mm travel...THEN you can find a nice long---12 or 14" long spring somewhere around 225 to maybe 250 lb spring...

What do you have on the back of the car?
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

200 square left

Quote Originally Posted by John Vanlandingham View Post
    That's terrible....And those inserts have only 160mm travel....You want more...they can be sent to Bilstein in San Diego and internal spacers rempved and you get them back with about 190mm travel...THEN you can find a nice long---12 or 14" long spring somewhere around 225 to maybe 250 lb spring...

What do you have on the back of the car?
    John what is the cost of the rework at Bilstein for these shocks?

They are yellow Bilsteins also so I assume they are Group N's. They also have ground controls with 400lb springs.

50 caution yump

If you send them to Bilstein in CA you won't see them for months.

Run 100AW with what you have, it's your first race, will be a lot of learning going on. Then after that evaluate what to do next, including addressing suspension stuff. You really don't want to mess with that stuff with only realistically 6-7 weeks before the race.
    #542 - 1991 Subaru Legacy Open Class

200 square left

Quote Originally Posted by MConte05 View Post

Run 100AW with what you have, it's your first race, will be a lot of learning going on. Then after that evaluate what to do next, including addressing suspension stuff. You really don't want to mess with that stuff with only realistically 6-7 weeks before the race.
    Ya that was my reasoning for asking if its better to run with or without the ground controls because changing those is easy. Matt what do you think between those options?

Quote Originally Posted by MConte05 View Post
    Really? I had pretty good turnaround when I sent my stuff to them (2009). Unfortunately all my fronts had bent pins or bent housings, and they couldn't rebuild them. But they redid the rears.

Sean, I'd pick up a cheap set of 250 lb springs. The 400 will be really rough, and I'd be afraid of smashing the oil pan on a LWB with the stock springs.