Getting the word out early! Waste Management Winter Rally -- 2/21/15 -- Wellsboro, PA - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting the word out early! Waste Management Winter Rally -- 2/21/15 -- Wellsboro, PA

Quote Originally Posted by OffThePace View Post
    I'm very excited since this may be my first rally and I love driving on ice and snow! What tires will be allowed?

The original scrutineering was done to Section 6 of the 2010 Performance Rally Rules, which are no longer in the RA archives -- I'll be notifying appropriate committee members, by the way...

From the 2014 Rulebook, the following information all appears to be the same... Most limiting factor: no studded tires per RA rules in 6.4.6

Section 6.4.6 (page 38)

Sections 10.2 Class Rules:

10.2.5.D (page 80)

10.2.B.20 (page 90)

For general information, go to http://www.stpr.org/archive/ and check under the Winter Rally Archives

Best wishes!
    Dave Moore - KB3IEC, STPR Comm. Co-Chief, rally worker, '02 WRX Wagon + '03 Forester, "once upon a time" Datsun Z owner - go RWD!, too poor to race ... Blessings to all!
    "Do not vomit on the finish control workers." (his emphasis) From the section on motion sickness in "North American Performance Rally Codriving" by Dave Shindle.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Dave, I sent you the rule book. No studded tires then either. Still waiting for the stars to align.

I'm very excited since this may be my first rally and I love driving on ice and snow! What tires will be allowed?

Mike --

Just got the word from our event chair that the regs are forthcoming, target the 2014 RA tire regs as your focus.

BTW, when looking up your name via profile, I couldn't help but notice the Datsun 280Z reference... What's the backstory? My first Z was a '74 260Z - also my first car in 1979, yep I am old... I drove it for over 10 years, through a complete unibody restoration, until news of our first born changed the two seater future. I fought the dreaded first generation "smog carbs", finally scoring a '72 240 induction system... Parts of it - and the clean title - are now part of an SCCA road racer's stable.
    Dave Moore - KB3IEC, STPR Comm. Co-Chief, rally worker, '02 WRX Wagon + '03 Forester, "once upon a time" Datsun Z owner - go RWD!, too poor to race ... Blessings to all!
    "Do not vomit on the finish control workers." (his emphasis) From the section on motion sickness in "North American Performance Rally Codriving" by Dave Shindle.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

If anyone is looking for a Co-Driver for this event, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by DatsunZguy View Post

Mike --

Just got the word from our event chair that the regs are forthcoming, target the 2014 RA tire regs as your focus.

BTW, when looking up your name via profile, I couldn't help but notice the Datsun 280Z reference... What's the backstory? My first Z was a '74 260Z - also my first car in 1979, yep I am old... I drove it for over 10 years, through a complete unibody restoration, until news of our first born changed the two seater future. I fought the dreaded first generation "smog carbs", finally scoring a '72 240 induction system... Parts of it - and the clean title - are now part of an SCCA road racer's stable.
    Hey Dave,
    I currently own two 280Zs. I have a very nice driver/show quality '76 and a '78 on a rotisserie with ambitions to become a rally car. The '76 is for sale to fund my rally adventures: http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/4751976111.html
    Datsun Zs are great cars...they are simple to work on, parts are available, and they are undervalued. I wish I could keep the '76 but I want to give rally a try.

I'll be ice racing my "new" 1990 Eagle Talon this winter with studded Dmack DMG-ICE2 tires so I was hoping that I could run the wmwr with them since they will work great in icy conditions.

The hurdle to competing in the wmwr will be having a turbo charged AWD car and applying for a license. Hopefully my racing experience will help me get approval.

Also, you should bring your WRX wagon ice racing! You can drive the car there, race with us on street legal tires for $50, and drive it home! A practice session and 3 heat races will give you about 60 minutes of driving. We race on "road" courses with left and right turns.

-Michael Waterhouse
    -Michael Waterhouse

Hey Dave,
    I currently own two 280Zs. I have a very nice driver/show quality '76 and a '78 on a rotisserie with ambitions to become a rally car. The '76 is for sale to fund my rally adventures: http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/4751976111.html
    Datsun Zs are great cars...they are simple to work on, parts are available, and they are undervalued. I wish I could keep the '76 but I want to give rally a try.

I'll be ice racing my "new" 1990 Eagle Talon this winter with studded Dmack DMG-ICE2 tires so I was hoping that I could run the wmwr with them since they will work great in icy conditions.

The hurdle to competing in the wmwr will be having a turbo charged AWD car and applying for a license. Hopefully my racing experience will help me get approval.

Also, you should bring your WRX wagon ice racing! You can drive the car there, race with us on street legal tires for $50, and drive it home! A practice session and 3 heat races will give you about 60 minutes of driving. We race on "road" courses with left and right turns.

-Michael Waterhouse

Wow, the Z is beautiful!!! My car never looked that good, but then again, I was going to college and scraping up the funds for a restore to your car's level was not a possibility. Too bad I still have a couple of kids in college, because your car would look great in my driveway -- or working any rally!!!
    I'd love to try racing the wagon; maybe next year after it gets some TLC (186k +, weak turbo, calipers need a rebuild, rust repair,etc.). I bought my son's Forester, fixed the blown engine, and will be finishing up some other tweaks so that I can park the Rex. I keep telling some of the FLR folks that I am going to make it up to work some of their snow TSD's, too. Not enough time or $$$...
    Wish you the best on your rally startup, and looking forward to seeing you at WMWR!

Mike --

Supps were released today and the 2015 RA Performance Rally Rulebook is in play (download 2015 RA P.R.R.)
    All the section 6 tire issues appear to be the same, but I am not a competitor nor scrutineer, so don't take my word, please.
    Best wishes.

Default More WMWR Info

Waste Management Winter Rally Competitor Registration to open at midnight: The online registration and payment system will open Sunday, January 11, 2015 at midnight.
    Due to contractual obligations, WMWR 2015 will be sanctioned and insured by Rally America, Inc.
    Thank you for your patience, our apologies to those inconvenienced by the delay in this announcement. If you have questions/comments, please
    direct to me.
    Meridith L. Croucher, Event Chair

Per http://wmwr.info/2015/01/10/competit...n-at-midnight/

Default WMWR entries eligible to win STPR entries...

One (1) free raffle ticket each for Driver and Co-driver entered
    into WMWR 2015 for both STPR 2015 Regional rallies*
    (a $450 value)
    AND
    One (1) free raffle ticket each for Driver and Co-driver entered
    into WMWR 2015 for STPR’s Sherwood Forest (Coefficient 2) Rally*
    (a $200 value)

Additional rules apply please see: http://wmwr.info/wp-content/uploads/...Discount-1.pdf

100 K left 2

Can I help any team at this event? I would love to get involved!