WRC'14 Wales RallyGB Nov13-16 talk/results spoiler**
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WRC'14 Wales RallyGB Nov13-16 talk/results spoiler**

into right 2 tightens Weasel 555's Avatar

Cool WRC'14 Wales RallyGB Nov13-16 talk/results spoiler**

The Final Round 13 Wales Rally GB Nov13-16

History

Founded in 1932, 367 crews entered the inaugural Royal Automobile Club Rally.
    Introduction of forest roads in 1960 transformed the rally into what we know today.
    Route formerly included loops around England, Scotland and Wales but the rally has been based solely in Wales since 2000.
    Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium hosted the WRC’s first indoor stage in 2005.

What’s new for 2014

Three days of competition after opening Thursday evening leg is axed.
    Thursday night ceremonial start moved from Conwy to Colwyn Bay.
    More driving in the dark as late Saturday afternoon tests increases night-time distance from 24km to 36km.

Official Website: walesrallygb.com/

Listen Live: wrc.com/live_popup_radio

WRC+ for €4.99 Euro : Live Stages/Live Maps/Onboard Action/Full Highlights plus.wrc.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

I'll root for Mikko now...little late but OK.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Tuthill has been denied entry to Wales RallyGB by the FIA !

Richard Tuthill's Porsche 911 RGT has been withdrawn from Rally GB after the FIA refused to sign off on modifications needed to run the car in gravel trim.

Tuthill gave his 911 its World Rally Championship debut in Germany in August before handing it over to Francois Delecour for the Rally of France last month.

While the car is homologated to run on asphalt, the different suspension required for gravel stages is not homologated.

Tuthill flew to Geneva late last week in the hope of convincing the FIA's technical department, but they stood firm.

FIA rally director Jarmo Mahonen is sympathetic towards Tuthill's plight and wants to make sure a framework is in place for the 911 RGT to run on the dirt next season.

"It's a pity this hasn't happened," he said. "Richard came to see us last week and we are very grateful for his help on trying to make this happen.

"There are some issues with the technical regulations and some of the suspension parts which weren't homologated. We have seen how spectacular these cars can be on asphalt and we definitely want to see them on gravel as well.

"Our technical department is working to make this happen next year, but part of the problem is that things don't always happen so quickly with this house [the FIA]."

more: autosport.com/news/116740

---------------------------

Mikkelsen fastest at GB shakedown

Andreas Mikkelsen led a Volkswagen clean sweep of the fastest times at Thursday morning’s Wales Rally GB shakedown in a muddy Clocaenog Forest.

He was fastest through the 3.32km test in a Volkswagen Polo R from world champion Sébastien Ogier and Jari-Matti Latvala, who were tied on time 0.3sec behind.

Both Mikkelsen and Latvala recorded their best time on the third of four runs, while Ogier was happy to bring his shakedown to an end after just two passes.

Teams journeyed to the small town of Ruthin to service the shakedown and it brought back memories for Mikkelsen.

“I lived for one year in the town when I was 17 to get my driving licence, so it feels special to come back. Nothing much has changed,” he said.

“The feeling with the car was good. We tested in similar conditions at our pre-event test, but maybe it’s a little more slippery here. We made some changes to the car and now I feel well prepared,” he added.

Latvala also experimented with his set up. “We tested in quite good conditions but the set-up was too stiff for the wet and mud here. We have to go softer for the rally, quite a lot softer actually, so we tried those settings this morning,” he said.

Behind the Volkswagen trio, Robert Kubica was fourth in a Ford Fiesta RS, 0.9sec off Mikkelsen’s pace. Ott Tänak was a tenth of a second further back in another Fiesta RS, with Kris Meeke and Elfyn Evans tied in sixth., another tenth behind.

Henning Solberg damaged the front of his Fiesta RS after crashing during his first run. He completed two more passes before the car was returned to the Deeside service park for repairs.

His car is already well-used. It was M-Sport’s pre-event test car, and was driven for five days by Mikko Hirvonen, Elfyn Evans and Kubica before being converted to RRC spec for Matthew Wilson to use for another day. It was rebuilt for Solberg on Tuesday.

click: wrc.com/news/shakedown

Last edited by Weasel 555; 11-13-2014 at 04:23 AM.

With Tuthill being out in part due to David Richards antics, it's time to work on pushing Richards out of the sport.

100 oversquare right

very lame the porsche can't compete.
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

Friday:
    Ogier sets early pace in Wales

Sebastien Ogier took the early lead of Wales Rally GB after posting fastest time through Friday morning’s opening two special stages in Gartheiniog and Dyfi.

The newly-crowned world champion was 4.5sec faster than Volkswagen Polo R team-mate Andreas Mikkelsen in the opener and 4.3sec up on Jari-Matti Latvala in Dyfi to hold an 8.9sec advantage over Latvala.

“I’m not perfectly happy with my driving but it was OK,” said Ogier. “The grip was OK in the second stage but the first one was more slippery than I expected.”

Latvala was relieved to emerge from Dyfi. “We had a big moment. I hit a hole and was very lucky not to roll. I need to find the rhythm because I’m not driving well,” he said.

Heavy overnight rain ensured the forest roads were incredibly slippery and conditions worsened with the passage of every car, as Mikkelsen found to his cost in Dyfi.

“I was too fast over a crest and braked too late for the next corner. I hit the right rear and that pulled the nose into the ditch where we hit a bank,” said the Norwegian, who dropped more than 2min 30sec. He retired on the following liaison section.

Two fourth-fastest times for Mads Ostberg put the Citroen DS3 pilot in third, but already 21.7sec down on Ogier. Mikko Hirvonen, driving his final event before retirement, was 1.4sec behind in fourth.

Fifth-placed Thierry Neuville reported no issues with his Hyundai i20 after a wiring loom problem following shakedown yesterday which meant the Belgian walked over the start podium last night but Henning Solberg emerged from Dyfi with his Fiesta RS running on three cylinders.

click: wrc.com/news/ogiers-early-lead

SS1 Gartheiniog 1 (14.58 km)

SS2 Dyfi 1 (21.90 km)

------------------------------

Ogier stays incharge in GB

World champion Sebastien Ogier ended Friday morning’s slippery opening loop of Wales Rally GB with a 9.5sec lead over Volkswagen team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala.

Although Latvala responded to Ogier’s opening blast with fastest time in Hafren Sweet Lamb, the Frenchman made it three wins out of four with quickest time in Maesnant to reach remote service in Newtown in a happy frame of mind.

“It was a good morning, we’ve gone well and the car feels good,” said the Polo R driver. “The last section of SS4 was very, very tricky. It was so slippery and very fast also.”

After outpacing his colleague by 2.2sec in Hafren, a mistake just 160 metres into Maesnant ruined Latvala’s chances of closing further. “I overshot the first junction and lost four or five seconds. I’m annoyed with that,” said the Finn.

Mads Ostberg remained third in a Citroen DS3, although the Norwegian was already 40.1sec off the lead. He was in a close fight with Mikko Hirvonen’s Ford Fiesta RS, just 4.5sec splitting the duo.

Third fastest in Maesnant promoted Kris Meeke’s DS3 to fifth, a further 7.7sec behind, although the Northern Irishman was querying a 10sec jump start penalty in SS1.

Thierry Neuville was sixth, just 0.6sec behind Meeke, with Elfyn Evans, Ott Tänak, Hayden Paddon and Martin Prokop completing the leaderboard.

Juho Hanninen retired his Hyundai i20 after going off in Hafren Sweet Lamb while Robert Kubica lost time in Maesnant after spinning at the same hairpin as Latvala and later missing a junction. Henning Solberg spun in SS4, the Norwegian struggling with an intermittent misfire in his Fiesta RS.

Jari Ketomaa leads WRC 2 in a Fiesta R5 by 29.6sec from Tom Cave, but third-placed Nasser Al-Attiyah remains on target for the title.

click: wrc.com/news/ogier-stays-clear

SS3 Hafren Sweet Lamb 1 (23.55 km)

SS4 Maesnant 1 (12.86 km)

Last edited by Weasel 555; 11-14-2014 at 03:26 AM.

Friday Afternoon:

Latvala narrows Ogier advantage

Sebastien Ogier and Jari-Matti Latvala traded fastest times as Wales Rally GB returned to Gartheiniog and Dyfi forests to begin Friday afternoon’s loop, but the Finn emerged the happier of the duelling Volkswagen drivers.

He was 5.7sec quicker than Ogier through Gartheiniog, and although the Frenchman took 3.4sec back in Dyfi, Latvala reduced his deficit to 7.2sec.

Ogier admitted to a ‘couple of small mistakes’ in the first test, including missing the turn-in at a hairpin, while Latvala was perplexed at his time loss in Dyfi. “I thought I was driving well so I don’t know why I lost time,” he said.

Third fastest in Dyfi promoted Mikko Hirvonen into third in his Ford Fiesta RS after overhauling Mads Ostberg. “I wasn’t able to find a rhythm, it felt very, very, very bad. I have no clue what to change,” admitted a deflated Ostberg, whose DS3 is now 1.4sec behind the Finn.

Kris Meeke’s delight at third fastest in SS5, was offset by eighth in Dyfi and the Northern Irishman summed up the feelings of everyone. “It’s so, so slippery. It’s like Rallye Monte-Carlo on gravel,” he said.

Hayden Paddon had power steering problems in Gartheiniog in his Hyundai i20 and traced the issue to a broken pump. He was unable to make repairs and resigned himself to driving the rest of the afternoon with no power assistance.

Henning Solberg set top five times in both stages, despite missing two junctions in Dyfi, and climbed to ninth in his Fiesta RS, now restored to full health after a morning misfire. “I’m really pushing – I don’t want this position!” he said.

click: wrc.com/latvala-closes/

SS5 Gartheiniog 2 (14.58 km)

SS6 Dyfi 2 (21.90 km)

----------------------------

SS7 Hafren Sweet Lamb 2 (23.55 km)

SS8 Maesnant 2 (12.86 km)

Ogier heads Latvala in Rally GB duel

Sebastien Ogier held a slender lead over Jari-Matti Latvala after the Volkswagen duo dominated Friday’s slippery opening leg at Wales Rally GB.

Both claimed four stage wins and although Ogier was never headed, he was unable to shake off his Polo R colleague and led by 6.6sec after eight muddy forest speed tests covering 145km in mid-Wales.

The newly-crowned world champion won three of the four morning tests to lead by 9.5sec at the mid-leg service in Newtown, but Latvala took the afternoon honours as the polished surface made conditions even more slippery.

“It was difficult to drive this morning but I really enjoyed the stages,” said Ogier. “This afternoon was just a question of surviving. Conditions were slippery and I was fighting the car all the way,” he said.

Ogier misjudged a hairpin on the afternoon’s opening stage while Latvala admitted he was lucky not to roll after hitting a hole in the first test.

Mads Ostberg and Mikko Hirvonen, tackling his last rally before retirement, fought over third for most of the day. The Norwegian held the advantage this morning but Hirvonen moved ahead to finish 1min 07.2sec off the lead in his Ford Fiesta RS.

Ostberg became increasingly frustrated with the handling of his Citroen DS3, and dropped to fifth in the final stage. Kris Meeke benefited from his team-mate’s struggles to climb to fourth, despite a 10sec penalty for a jump start in the opening stage.

He was 7.7sec behind Hirvonen and 0.7sec ahead of Ostberg, despite twice making a mistake at the same hairpin.

Thierry Neuville was sixth in a Hyundai i20, the Belgian one of many drivers to lose time at a tight hairpin in the final stage. Elfyn Evans, Ott Tänak, Henning Solberg and Martin Prokop completed the leaderboard, all in Fiesta RS cars.

Solberg lost time with a morning misfire while Prokop spun into a ditch in the final stage.

Andreas Mikkelsen retired his Polo R with broken suspension after hitting a bank while oin second and Juho Hänninen went out after going off.

Robert Kubica survived a brush with a bank, a spin and an overshoot to lie 11th, while power steering problems and front differential issues delayed Hayden Paddon’s i20 in 12th.

Tomorrow’s second leg comprises nine more stages covering 113.74km. There are two identical loops of four tests in north Wales, split by a short fan-friendly stage at Chirk Castle.

click: wrc.com/news/end-leg-1/

Last edited by Weasel 555; 11-14-2014 at 08:29 AM.

Saturday:

Latvala crash hands advantage to Ogier

Jari-Matti Latvala’s victory bid at Wales Rally GB ended in Saturday morning’s muddy opening special stage when he went off the road into a ditch and dropped more than three minutes.

The Finn, who restarted today just 6.6sec behind Volkswagen team-mate Sébastien Ogier, made a mistake 6.8km into Clocaenog East and was lifted back onto the road by spectators.

“It was a slippery corner and I was a little late on the braking and stalled the engine. I tried to turn into the bend but the car wouldn’t restart and we went backwards into a ditch and got stuck,” he explained.

His Polo R’s rear spoiler was lost in the impact and that affected the downforce through the next stage and he was only 14th fastest after spinning.

Latvala’s crash left Ogier with a 1min 12.4sec lead over Mikko Hirvonen’s Ford Fiesta RS and the Frenchman acknowledged his approach would change.

“Of course, it’s a different rally for me. My lead is really good but we still have to drive without mistakes and it’s still not an easy job in front of me,” he said.

Hirvonen heads Kris Meeke’s Citroen DS3 by 3.6sec, with Mads Ostberg a further 3.8sec behind, but Hirvonen admitted he wasn’t totally comfortable on the long, fast straights and hard braking. “No big mistakes but the small ones are costing me time,” he said.

The early starters enjoyed the best of the conditions and Andreas Mikkelsen was fastest in both stages in his Polo R, although Meeke set top three times in both.

Henning Solberg overshot two junctions in the opening stage while Thierry Neuville went one better and missed three junctions in the following test in his Hyundai i20. Robert Kubica emerged from Clocaenog Main with oil leaking from the rear of his Ford Fiesta RS.

click: wrc.com/news/latvala-off

-----------------------------

Ostberg piles pressure onto Hirvonen

With Sebastien Ogier holding a comfortable lead in Wales Rally GB, attention turned to the intense three-car battle for second in Saturday morning’s first pass through the Aberhirnant and Dyfnant special stages.

Mads Ostberg was the man on the move, the Citroen DS3 pilot second fastest in both tests to overhaul Kris Meeke for third and close to within 0.5sec of Mikko Hirvonen ahead.

“A big push in there, we have to work hard for this afternoon,” Ostberg told WRC Live after Dyfnant, recalling yesterday’s second pass through the stages when he dropped time with set-up issues.

Hirvonen (pictured below) relished the battle in his last rally before retiring from the sport. “It’s a really great fight but I haven’t been so smooth this morning and I made a few mistakes here and there,” he said.

Meeke is 1.4sec behind Ostberg and stalled his DS3’s engine at the opening hairpin in Dyfnant. “It’s a good fight but we have to remember the manufacturers’ championship. That’s important,” said the Northern Irishman.

Ogier took no risks in his Volkswagen Polo R, 10th in Aberhirnant and ninth in Dyfnant to head towards the final morning stage with a 1min 10.5sec lead.

Team-mate Andreas Mikkelsen enjoyed the best of the conditions from first in the start order and was quickest in both stages to make it four in a row.

Jari-Matti Latvala dropped more time in his Polo R with a broken front right damper, a legacy of his opening stage crash, while Henning Solberg, who was third in Aberhirnant, finished Dyfnant with worries about the alternator in his Ford Fiesta RS.

click: wrc.com/news/third-place-battle

------------------------------

Ogier comfortable in Rally GB lead

Sebastien Ogier completed Saturday’s opening loop of speed tests at Wales Rally GB with a comfortable lead in his Volkswagen Polo R.

He completed the fan-friendly Chirk Castle parkland stage with a 1min 10.1sec advantage, the Frenchman relaxed after the pressure on his lead was removed in the morning’s opening test when team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala slithered off the muddy gravel road and into a ditch.

“The battle with Jari-Matti was enjoyable and exciting. Now the gap is quite comfortable but in these conditions it’s easy to make a mistake,” said Ogier, whose speed was so measured that he set just one time in the top seven during the five stages.

Behind Ogier, there was a thrilling three-car fight for second. Mikko Hirvonen held the advantage in his Ford Fiesta RS after Latvala’s crash, but Mads Ostberg put together a string of good times in his Citroen DS3 to move ahead of the Finn in Chirk Castle by 0.7sec.

Kris Meeke, who stalled his engine earlier in the morning, was a further 0.7sec behind and the battling trio pulled clear of Thierry Neuville’s Hyundai i20 in fifth.

Elfyn Evans delighted the Welsh fans by holding sixth in a Fiesta RS, ahead of Estonian Ott Tanak. Henning Solberg was fastest in Chirk Castle en route to eighth, with Martin Prokop and Latvala completing the leaderboard, the Finn struggling with a broken damper after his crash.

Road opener Andreas Mikkelsen enjoyed the best of the conditions in the increasingly slippery forests and was fastest through the first four stages in his Polo R.

In WRC 2, Jari Ketomaa led by 56.5sec from Bernardo Sousa, with title favourite Nasser Al-Attiyah up to seventh, which would be sufficient for the Qatari to claim the support category title.

Alastair Fisher headed the JWRC standings by 1min 06.3sec from Martin Koci, with Henry Haapamaki third, a further 9.7sec behind, on his series debut.

click: wrc.com/ogier-comfortable

Revised as Mads received a 10sec penalty: (Sat 15:00 - Ostberg hit with 10-sec penaltyThe Norwegian was penalised for arriving at SS12 one minute late. The penalty drops him from second to fourth place - 8.6sec behind Meeke. )

Last edited by Weasel 555; 11-15-2014 at 06:36 AM.

Sat Afternoon:
    Hirvonen bounces back

Mikko Hirvonen regained second place in Wales Rally GB as his fierce three-car battle with Kris Meeke and Mads Ostberg took more twists in Saturday afternoon’s opening two stages.

Ostberg’s hold on the position disappeared as he left the mid-leg service in Deeside when he was handed a 10sec penalty for checking in late at the start of SS12 this morning. Ostberg was delayed as he worked on an intercom problem in his Citroen DS3, but insisted he was on time.

That restored Hirvonen to second but Meeke was fastest through Clocaenog East in his DS3 to move ahead by 1.1sec. Hirvonen retaliated by winning the next stage in his Ford Fiesta RS to head the Northern Irishman by 3.3sec, with Ostberg a further 14.7sec behind.

The morning pass through the stages polished the surface bedrock and drivers were shocked by how tricky the conditions were.

Sebastien Ogier was fourth and eighth in his Volkswagen Polo R and his lead stood at 1min 03.0sec. “I had so much mud on the car that I felt it wouldn’t go any more!” he said.

Andreas Mikkelsen was second quickest in both stages despite no intercom after a mix-up when changing helmets in service. “The faulty one I had before service was given to Ola (co driver Floene) when we left,” explained the Norwegian.

Martin Prokop overshot a hairpin in Clocaenog East and had to reverse, and then punctured a rear right tyre on ‘Fiona’ the Fiesta RS in the next test.

click: wrc.com/news/hirvonen-into-second

---------------------------

Ogier untroubled in Rally GB lead

World champion Sebastien Ogier ended Saturday’s second leg of Wales Rally GB with a comfortable lead ahead of a thrilling battle for the remaining podium places.

He will restart tomorrow’s final leg with a 58.1sec advantage in his Volkswagen Polo R after any pressure evaporated when team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala slid into a ditch in the opening stage and lost more than three minutes.

Latvala’s mistake left Mikko Hirvonen, Kris Meeke and Mads Ostberg in a titanic fight for second. They swapped places in virtually every stage before Hirvonen claimed second in a Ford Fiesta RS, 3.4sec clear of Kris Meeke’s Citroen DS3.

Conditions in the north Wales forests were again muddy, especially this afternoon as the polished surface made the roads extremely slippery, and Ogier took no risks. He set only two top six times over nine special stages, covering 113.74km.

“It wasn’t an easy day because the roads were very slippery, especially in the final stage in the dark,” said Ogier. “I have a comfortable lead so tomorrow I just need to drive the same way and try to cross the finish line.”

The fight for second lit up the forests. Hirvonen had control initially before Ostberg overhauled both the Finn and Meeke to hold the advantage at the mid-leg service, when the trio were split by 1.4sec.

However, Ostberg received a 10sec penalty for checking in late at a time control and a delaminated tyre cost 15sec as he slipped to fourth. Hirvonen and Meeke twice traded positions before Hirvonen sealed the overnight advantage in the final test.

Thierry Neuville took advantage of Ostberg’s woes to close in fifth, despite hitting a chicane in the penultimate stage and knocking his light pod out of alignment. The gap between them is 3.3sec.

Elfyn Evans was sixth ahead of fellow Fiesta RS pilot Ott Tänak, with Henning Solberg eighth despite losing 40sec with a puncture. Latvala, who also broke a front right damper during his accident, recovered to ninth with Martin Prokop completing the leaderboard.

Road opener Andreas Mikkelsen restarted after retiring yesterday with broken suspension and enjoyed the best of the conditions as the roads deteriorated with every car. He won four stages this morning and added a fifth this afternoon despite a faulty intercom.

Tomorrow’s final leg comprises six short stages covering 46.12km. The last live TV Power Stage offers bonus points to the fastest three drivers.

click: wrc.com/news/end-leg-2

Last edited by Weasel 555; 11-15-2014 at 10:25 AM.