Special Stage Forums banner

Events with Jemba and no Recce?

9K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  tdrrally 
#1 ·
Who organizes what I consider "Working Man's Rallies"? Jemba Notes (or similar), but no recce allowed, meaning maximum fun per time off, while not taking a serious competitive disadvantage for skipping recce others do. What events like this are still run in North America?

#3 ·
Kris & Christine Marciniak's High Desert Trails in May does this. Tech late Friday afternoon. Rally Saturday, start at 10:00am finish at 7:00pm, 127 stage miles. Nice food / awards / CRS parking lot after party get together Saturday night.

If you don't get enough fun on Saturday...High Desert Trails Rallycross on Sunday!

An Excllent CRS / NASA event! http://highdeserttrails.com/

#9 ·
Yes! I immediately thought of HDT when I saw the thread title but Sean beat me to it. Notes are by the Gibeaults, which are perfect so no need for recce. Also, the rally starts and finishes at the service area, which means you don't have to worry about finding someone to shuttle your service vehicle around (huge plus in my opinion). 2.5 hours from LA means those of us who live in SoCal only need a half day off on Friday (if that).

Super easy for the competitor, and 127 stage miles in one day!

#10 ·
I Love HDT and plan to attend it again.

there's 1 small section (1 note?) that seemed really off to me when i ran it in 2012. Mike McCanna agrees with me (he went off there and crashed / DNF) Though i do absolutely love the Gibeaults style of note writing. simply the best i've ever ran on . I won't go as far to say there's no benefit to recce ..

I'd much much rather Do a Great rally , that happened to be blind. then to have to skip a "Perfect" rally that i couldn't afford.

High mileage - compact time frame rallies are super awesome. and Kudos to the Marciniaks for running this event.

#12 ·
I believe Mendocino can be done "blind" or at least with just 2 days off of work for the actual rally (+ travel time) I think you get about 2 hours of stage time for 2 days of event. probably 2nd to only HDT for that valuation !

#13 ·
At Olympus we ran the last 7 miles of Nahwatzel on Sunday only on route book. We got distracted during service and forgot to grab the separate note book for the 27 mile stage out of the trailer. Jason luckily got to copy 20 miles of Goodwin's notes before he went through the stage control. I thought running on the route book was really damn fun! We lost a bunch of time over fast crests and the fast corners, but it was a hoot. It was really similar to running on my motorcycle like I'm used to. I wouldn't mind running some show and go rallies with a good set of Jemba notes. Rally Solo would be fun as well if there was more of a field to compete against.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.