New Member from the Southwest
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member from the Southwest

Default New Member from the Southwest

Hello All!

I'm just starting out in Rally and looking to gain some experience as I go along, starting with volunteering, and then possibly co-driving or driving. I just picked up "A Guide to Rally Co-Driving in North America" by Mark Williams and I'm reading through that. I was fortunate enough to be able to volunteer at the Hyperfest Rally Sprint earlier this year and got a taste of grassroots rally, and I'm looking to come back for more!

Are there any tips/tricks the wise old veterans would be willing to bestow upon this green young lad? I'm glad to be here and hope to learn a lot!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

The Scorpion King John Sundelin's Avatar

How far are you from either Kingman or Prescott, AZ, or Jean, NV? The Arizona Extreme Shortcourse Rally is this weekend in Kingman, the Prescott Rally is coming up in a few weeks, and Seed 9 will be about a month after that. Any or all of them are a great opportunity to meet people and see what's going on.

--
    John

100 oversquare right

ya going to events earns you dirt cred. which will help get "rides" in the smarty pants seat (navigator) , or rides to events (maybe in the cab, maybe in the bed) , free uhm 'space' to sleep in ... floor of hotel room, closet, bathroom, etc ... beers at after party, or perhaps the mythical blendero drink ..

all sorts of stuff you don't know that you want to know about, but if you already knew you would be like "ya i know"

also enough drivers are cheap bastards (like me) that if you pitch in towards the event , you should be able to score a navigator seat pretty easy.

hotel + crew food ?

1/2 entry fee?

gas for the rally car?

I think most navigators either cost shared for some events, or started with a friend .

oh usually rally crosses will allow passengers, you might be able to get some rides that way and at least get used to trying to read in a car that's sliding around all crazy.
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

I am actually based in Prescott! I was signed up to volunteer at the Extreme shortcourse rally but was unfortunately not able to attend, which was a bummer. I am signed up to volunteer for the Prescott Rally, which I am very excited about. When it becomes available, I plan to sign up for the Seed9 rally which is also in Kingman in Nov.

I'll be moving to Texas early next year, and as I understand there are some RallyX events but not many sanctioned rallys. I'm still looking into it but we'll see how things work out.

And yes volunteering gets you help! I completely forgot to bring food for the whole weekend at Hyperfest, but everyone there was kind enough to share what they had to eat or drink and I didn't go hungry (or thirsty for that matter)!

I'm a long way from trying to navigate for someone unless I can practice A LOT. I bought Mark William's Book "A Guide to Rally Co-Driving in North America" which has a ton of information and "levels" of being a co-driver. I can read this book 3 times over and know nothing though if I don't get in a car, so we'll see when I'll get that opportunity.

Thank you guys for the warm welcome, and I hope to learn as much as I can both here and out on the dirt!

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Why would you move to Texas if you were interested in doing rallies?
    EVERYTHING will be minimum 600-800 or 1000 miles plus.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

I'm finishing school in AZ this semester and my first big boy job will take me to Texas. Luckily I won't be there for too too long, so I can bide my time and save up money and buy safety equipment like a helmet (which I have no idea about) and a race suit. There's a driving school in Austin that I'm thinking about attending, Rally Ready in Austin? (http://www.rallyready.com/#landing) I don't know if anyone has any experience with this place but I'm hoping it would be a good starting point.

I'll enjoy this fall in Arizona and keep the dream alive and then bide my time in Texas until I can move somewhere that's based closer to rallies.

We hope to get more rallies going again in Texas. Rally isn't dead here, just resting.

100 oversquare right

there was some "paris,texas" rally there a while back.. not sure if it was performance or TSD .. or any details other than its existence and name ...

other navigators have flown in to cities for rallies so even while you are there you could still rally. or just drive to places ... get a cheap reliable old car and make an adventure out of it..

if your old car also has "spares" for the rally team you are with, hey even better... lol that would make me really consider using a new navigator .

Also enable your private messages !!!
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by A1337STI View Post
    there was some "paris,texas" rally there a while back.. not sure if it was performance or TSD .. or any details other than its existence and name ...

other navigators have flown in to cities for rallies so even while you are there you could still rally. or just drive to places ... get a cheap reliable old car and make an adventure out of it..

if your old car also has "spares" for the rally team you are with, hey even better... lol that would make me really consider using a new navigator .

Also enable your private messages !!!

The "rallies" at Paris were driving back and forth around a series of 90s...Old barracks long since torn down in a street grid..

Drive up 3 blocks 90 L, down 2 blocks 90 R---repeat ad nauseum....pray the wind or cars haven't knocked down the arrows.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Hopefully there will be some sort of rally somewhere around, I may drive out to 100AW and make a trip of it (or fly, who knows) but I haven't seen anything closer than that. Like I said though, temporary because of my job. I'll bide my time and save money and decide what direction I want to take (co-driving vs driving vs both, etc). Gain some equipment and knowledge and learn as much as I can.

Speaking of learning, does anyone have any old route books or stage notes that I could look at just to get a feel for what they look like? It would be much appreciated.

P.S. A1337STI, just enabled private messages, didn't know the default was off.