tow rig help/tips?
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: tow rig help/tips?

100 K left 2

Default tow rig help/tips?

So ive been looking for a cheap truck to tow my 2.5rs coupe. It will only be used 1-2 times a month to tow to rallyx events. My budget is >$4k. I found a 01 ram 1500 with the 5.9l and auto trans. the motor was replaced has 80k, rear end was rebuilt and trans was replaced. also has brand new 2500 hd suspension. Guy is asking $1800. i know a lot of people say the auto tranny in the dodge is crap, but at that price that leaves a lot of room in my budget for potential repairs. guy claims the truck is mechanically good, and just has some rust on the bottom of the door, no where else. Would this be a wise buy or i am better off with something else? I know nothing of trucks. thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Do you have an open or enclosed trailer? How about a Suburban? It would provide some security and protection for gear and they are pretty bullet proof. There are examples all over Craigslist of these thing with over 250k miles all day long.
    Mike Davis
    St. Louis | KD0WTN | Co-Driver #951 Porsche 944
    Rally Badger Racing Team | http://instagram.com/rallybadger

The Scorpion King John Sundelin's Avatar

Depending on how tall you are, as well as how you feel about parents in your neighborhood profiling you as a child molester, you might look into getting a van. In my opinion, it's a much better service vehicle than a truck for just about any motorsport. However, I found the seating in an Econoline to be extremely uncomfortable, and I refuse to buy Chevys, GMCs, or Dodges based on prior experience, so I bought a truck anyway. As far as trucks go, there are 3 kinds. One is the kind that gets driven by somebody to work everyday, and maybe to Home Depot on an occasional weekend. The second is similar, but gets used to tow something on weekends. The third is used for some commercial purpose and has a very hard life. Based on needing a new engine, rear end, transmission and having heavier springs installed, I'd gather that the truck you are looking at falls into either category 2 or 3, so I'd probably avoid it.

--
    John

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

I really like my Ford IDI ('80 something through 93 or 94). The Diesel before the Power Stroke. Pretty simple, easy to keep going, cheap parts, a big following with lots of documented info and solved problems.

That said, vans are cheap, look at conversion vans. Stupid cheap for what you can get. I don't like the prospect of engine work in a van, though, so I went for a pickup.

Tim.

'98 VW Jetta TDI - RallyX/DD
    '96 Subaru Impreza - Rally car

100 K left 2

Vans are the way to go. Look for a Astro or Safari van, cargo model. They come with trailer ready suspension and tranny. I've had a couple for work and they got close to 300k before they were too worn out to bother with anymore. You get secure storage and a place to sleep/work out of the weather when necessary. The seats are surprisingly comfortable, I guess because they're made to be driven a lot. The newer 2500/3500 series vans are readily available used, but a little higher in price.

I'm going to go against the vans, IF (and it is a big if) you have snow to deal with.

I have never regretted having a 4wd pickup, and I've used it extensively... (of course, 6 months of the year there is snow on the ground here). Put a big topper with a step up top on it for extra headspace, and it is much more useable than a van. If extended cab, you can also fit more people in a pinch compared to vans which usually only fit 2 people. A pickup is also more useful for stuff besides rally tow rig.

But if you can live with 2wd, I would go van. My suggestion is any GMT400 based model. I'm biased, but overall I am of the opinion that they are the most reliable/affordable. Dodges though? Couldn't pay me. Weak, anemic motors, poor gas mileage, bad transmissions, there is literally nothing a dodge does better than its equivalent Ford or GM counterpart.
    Adam

Blew up the clutch at PFR, back at it for Big White!

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

https://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/4646778004.html

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/4620817204.html

http://williamsport.craigslist.org/cto/4640179664.html

https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/4621321069.html

---------->https://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/4647816212.html<----------------------------------

Lworcester >all for sale / wanted >cars & trucks - by owner
    x prohibited[?]

Posted: 15 hours ago
    1998 Dodge 2500 Ram 4-door - $3500 (Grafton)

1998 dodge ram 2500 paint color : black type : pickup fuel : diesel transmission : automatic title status : clean
    1998 Dodge Ram 2500 4-door
    5.9 Cummins Turbo diesel; engine has exhaust brake; 355 gear ratio; drive train in excel. cond.; new starter, radiator and windshield; tires in good cond.; needs body work.
    $3500.00 or BO. Call anytime

do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bear in mind that some people who are mentally and experientially weak, and who basically are consumer morons who believe they "need" everything that somehow most of the world, most of history somehow muddled along without will tell you buy buy buy..but they're usually spoiled punks and living clichés whining so ignore them...its the best thing...
    However.
    A 2wd vehicle with a decent clutch plate LSD wuill go just fine...ya know? kinda like we do in rally cars...Some "need' 4wd, and many of those are spanked hard by 2wd guys.
    Same thing.

Personally I much prefer manual trans...better fuel economy and better towing...The #$#$#%#% trans does not shift suddenly or when ever it wants to when I move the stick. And---I know if I am pounding a gearbox or clutch, I have no idea if an automatic is going to suddenly barf its guts up while towing on the Mass Pike at 0130 near the NY border where there are no shoulders....as i pointed out to the moronic State Masshole Skin-head with the Smokey the Bear hat who was loudly proclaiming.
    Sudden failures are no fun.

the obvious...
    Last edited by Audi UrQ; 09-11-2014 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Edited expletive
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

don't cut

I'll agree with JVs assessment on the 2wd thing. My 2500 HD Chevy hasn't been in 4wd in two years...depends where you live and what you're doing though. Nowadays automatics are just as efficient as stick shifts and pretty much as reliable. Clutchs fail, manual trans fail and oddly enough there are people who can't drive a friggin stick shift still (should be a law...).

The Dodge sounds like a deal, the engine is normally very good and if the trans has been rebuilt then it shouldn't be an issue for many years and miles, if ever.

Uh Oh, UH OH, UHH OHHH!!! johnhuebbe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zmillz91 View Post
    So ive been looking for a cheap truck to tow my 2.5rs coupe. It will only be used 1-2 times a month to tow to rallyx events. My budget is >$4k. I found a 01 ram 1500 with the 5.9l and auto trans. the motor was replaced has 80k, rear end was rebuilt and trans was replaced. also has brand new 2500 hd suspension. Guy is asking $1800. i know a lot of people say the auto tranny in the dodge is crap, but at that price that leaves a lot of room in my budget for potential repairs. guy claims the truck is mechanically good, and just has some rust on the bottom of the door, no where else. Would this be a wise buy or i am better off with something else? I know nothing of trucks. thanks!
    I tow with a 05 Dodge Ram 1500 extended cab. Auto trans. Gas motor. (bought used) It does have the tow package (different rear end, trans cooler, etc...) and it tows just fine loaded with tools, spares, and a trailer w/car. It's 2wd. Never really needed 4wd, but I haven't towed to SnoDrift either.

And honestly, the auto trans is fine. Sometimes on VERY steep hills it will want to downshift and scream the motor, but you just learn when it's going to do that and adjust the throttle and go slower.

If you get the truck, make sure to check the front brakes and wheel bearings. I had to replace both after towing the first few times.

I think you'd be fine with the one you found.
    Behold the POWER of cheese! www.huebberally.com
    Organizer: 100aw.org & perryville.100aw.org/ | Rally Cars: 1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by heymagic View Post
    I'll agree with JVs assessment on the 2wd thing. My 2500 HD Chevy hasn't been in 4wd in two years...depends where you live and what you're doing though. Nowadays automatics are just as efficient as stick shifts and pretty much as reliable. Clutchs fail, manual trans fail and oddly enough there are people who can't drive a friggin stick shift still (should be a law...).

The Dodge sounds like a deal, the engine is normally very good and if the trans has been rebuilt then it shouldn't be an issue for many years and miles, if ever.

In my extremely limited experience the only thing that truck 4wd does is let Mor-rons get another 100-150 yards deeper into trouble before they do something stupid, since by and large nearly everybody who claims the NEED 4wd are well moe-rons.

And yeah NOWDAYS...there are a bunch of pretty damn good autotragics..
    But since you're decades long veteran of repairing cars you know
    a) theys outta this guys price range
    b) when the do begin to go, or do die, they cost a awful lotta more dough to fix than a clutch disc and a pressure plate and some grovel time under the truck.

And individual gears and bearings are cheap and easy too.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat