New from Southern California

Thread: New from Southern California

Default New from Southern California

I grew up racing off-road in the Mojave Desert in a VW class. When the economy tanked our racing program did too and I am looking to start racing again in something new.

I assisted in 100% of the construction of two 5-1600 cars.

My plans are to purchase a beater and run a season or two of RallyX while I cage it and prep for stage rally. I want to make a low cost entry into the sport to make sure it is for me.

Any help along the way is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

The Scorpion King John Sundelin's Avatar

Are you going to the Gorman Ridge Rally next weekend? I've only ever once heard of a rally that had enough volunteers, and you might even find out about some cars that could push your plans along a bit. Just be cautious about drinking anything that someone hands you at the post-event party... Sign up is on rallydata.com. After that the AZ Extreme Rally will be in Kingman AZ next month, and the Prescott Rally (probably the most spectacular rally in the southwest) is in early October. The Seed 9 rally will be near Las Vegas in early November.

--
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Sundelin View Post
    Are you going to the Gorman Ridge Rally next weekend? I've only ever once heard of a rally that had enough volunteers, and you might even find out about some cars that could push your plans along a bit. Just be cautious about drinking anything that someone hands you at the post-event party... Sign up is on rallydata.com. After that the AZ Extreme Rally will be in Kingman AZ next month, and the Prescott Rally (probably the most spectacular rally in the southwest) is in early October. The Seed 9 rally will be near Las Vegas in early November.

--
    John
    I am planning on spectating, I am currently out of town and fly back late Friday so I may not make it early enough to volunteer. I do look forward to volunteering in the future to learn more. I live in the inland empire so all are within a days drive. I am hoping to get some info on car selection. I would like to get a stock 2.0l so I can run NASA, CRS, and RA.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 oversquare right

Rally-america requires that you do a certain amount of mileage in a lower class vehicle, before you can do the open class. They do have an exemption waiver , which i would be willing to bet your past racing experience will qualify you for.

However it is possible to get denied. in which case you will need to do enough NASA rallies to get the experience before doing RA (and i think CARS)

I'd get an older subaru non-turbo and cage it, and see how the waiver pans out. that way if you needed to do a few races in a non turbo you are already set.. doubt it would pan out that way if you have a lot of desert racing ... just figured I'd lay out a plan that could do either.

other folks have just done NASA only until they got their 18 coefficients of racing. (Gorman is 4, prescott is 5, and high desert trails is 3) Mendocino is 5 i **think** and Idaho rally is 5. so really .... you could totally just build the car you want Now, and race only nasa until you hit 18 or get a waiver.

Might be wisest to plan on doing 1 nasa event , and then asking for that wavier (assuming you finish that 1st event) .

Welcome. the world always needs more rally drivers
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....