Is it possible to upgrade my Terraphone? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it possible to upgrade my Terraphone?

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by A1337STI View Post
    never heard of grey-tronics. are they compatible ? seems like they would be if one is a copy of the other

http://www.rallyintercoms.co.uk/ these guys? hmm

Yeah that's it.. The standard Clubman intercom for decades. Original guy worked for British Telecom as an instructor for years, spoke with him a couple of times after being put in touch with the guy Geoff Cross who made the standard clubbie Tripmeter "Brantz" 9another excellent and easy and reliable product....But as always it was pointed out it's not "popular" where he is therefore its can't be any good...irrefutable logic..

.so naturally the solution is to spend vastly more so you can be a clubbie with pretentions that you "need' the best there is...and there is no doubt that Peltor is great. It also satisfies the burning need to "look cool" by imitating the Dubya Arsey crew you see on TV, one cannot minimise the importance of that..
    So, the solution, as always, is spend 3-4 times because when you did "what everybody else did" and got a Terrible-phone, it worked out so well, so you have to spend more now.

Such a shame that so often the blind leading the blind ends up costing more in the long run.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Dramamine is for DramaQueens Morison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Vanlandingham View Post
    Such a shame that so often the blind leading the blind ends up costing more in the long run.
    Agreed.
    That's why I tell people to go to Peltor from the start. Yes, more expensive than some of the other options, not as expensive as Stilo, but for drivers who actually listen to their co-drivers a good intercom is someplace that is worth spending some money. (And it ain't about looking cool, I can assure you) Besides, if you actually use Peltor helmets, they are lighter than 'cheap' options and have the built in hearing protection. I was skeptical at first, having started out with a bell helmet with a terraphone, but was a convert part way through my first event with the Peltor helmet.
    Compatibility, portability, and shared knowledge are important things in this sport.
    Keith Morison
    Morison Communications

100 oversquare right

I'm super interested in a gray-tronics model now.. I love the price of my terrible-trip , but i also really really listen to my navigator . so being able to hear them is good.

funny about the amplifier circuit flaw thingy.. sounds like what kept breaking on ours .

so does the terraphone head set plug into the gray tronics model no problem? cause my head set is fine. (i think) it's the intercom part we have issues with
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

I don't race, so I don't know the specifics (pinouts, specs, etc.) of the intercom systems, but I am sure that I have seen some threads from the past addressing volume, quality and sensitivity issues. Though you don't hear about it as much as in the past, folks still "homebrew" electronics projects. I used to have a couple of Skil Craft Chemistry and Geology kits, plus some Heathcraft and Radio Shack kits and labs. Some current possibilities for signal improvement via either pre-amp, amp, or both might include kits from: http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/FA617, Vellemon kits (kind of the Radio Shack kits of today, , Kelvin - a well known educator site, http://www.guitarfuel.com/Electronics.php, Jameco kits (some of the best known). A lot of these kits are small, require little power, are adaptable connector-wise, and are inexpensive. Some are pre-assembled, while others require some soldering effort/experience.
    Dave Moore - KB3IEC, STPR Comm. Co-Chief, rally worker, '02 WRX Wagon + '03 Forester, "once upon a time" Datsun Z owner - go RWD!, too poor to race ... Blessings to all!
    "Do not vomit on the finish control workers." (his emphasis) From the section on motion sickness in "North American Performance Rally Codriving" by Dave Shindle.

100 oversquare right

thanks i'll have to poke around and see if any of those look doable for me.
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

I have done a fair amount of exploratory surgery in Terraphone, Graytronics, Peltor FMT-110 and FMT-120, and the Stilo WRC DES intercoms and headsets. Terraphone and Graytronics are both interchangeable, but the Graytronics was designed by someone that knows what they were doing, unlike the grade 9 science experiment that is known as a Terraphone.

Stilo and Peltor intercoms are not just a bit better and "cool" as the troll goes on about, they are THE intercoms to buy. Buying a Terraphone is a complete waist of money. IMHO the Peltor FMT-120 is the best intercom to buy, next to that I would still choose the 110 over the Stilo. I use a Stilo Helmet but the intercoms seem to have some volume issues when using Mixed company of gear (Peltor Helmet on Stilo Intercom). Reason is that the Stilo is a low impedance unit, and Peltor helmets are a high impedance setup. Stilo intercoms are not built to drive the higher resistance of speakers, and having 2 helmets make it worse.

Stilo helmets are usable on a Peltor intercom, but beware! if you don't use the proper cable (OEM or one of mine) you WILL fuck your earphones. Cheap adapters dont account for the impedance differance and the Peltor intercom will overdrive them, to death.

My setup of choice (and what Wim and I run) is a FMT-120 with Stilo helmets. Allows you options at a later date

Bryan

But that's just an opinion from someone that has spent a hundred hours fiddling with these things.
    Last edited by zerodegreec; 11-25-2014 at 08:40 PM.
    Bryan L.
    Maker of those intercom adapters and "stuff"
    www.zerodegreec.ca

100 K left 2

Michele did some good work with mine after Sandblast last year unfortunately I have since misplaced it but here is the thread.

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/s...28first-Gen%29