Is it possible to upgrade my Terraphone?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to upgrade my Terraphone?

Default Is it possible to upgrade my Terraphone?

Hey I was just wondering if anyone has any input on making my Terraphone intercom work any better. Right now I need to almost insert the microphone on my helmet into my mouth for it to pick up on anything! I'm going to start rubbing it with BBQ sauce to make it taste better.

But I had a thought last night, If I bought a peltor headset unit and the conversion cable for peltor to terra...would that work better because the peltor is a better quality microphone? Was just thinking of better ways to get more out of my Terraphone without having to buy a a different intercom unit this season.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Dramamine is for DramaQueens Morison's Avatar

When I've used peltors on adapters to the Terraphone, the sound has typically been a bit worse than using terraphone headsets. That Said... Bryan's adaptors are the best I've used and do the job as well as can be expected. Two adaptors, is a bit more than 1/3 of the way to a peltor intercom.
    Keith Morison
    Morison Communications

Thanks Keith, Yea it adds up fast, I'll try to deal with it for now and save/find something used.

With your experience what do you prefer, peltor or stilo? also, I've seen these Sparco units that are made for peltor headsets, do you know what those are about?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

I don't have a lot of experience with Stilo, but know that the people who have them love them. I've only used Peltor helmets on an adaptor with the stilo and seem to recall a couple of Peltor headsets being broken that way... not sure if it was coincidental, but JC Bourgeois had the issue.
    I regularly use Peltor helmets and intercoms and am very happy with them. I think results putting headsets into a non-peltor helmet (IE no earmuffs) would be less impressive.
    My impression is the sparco stuff is simply Peltor under a license, but wouldn't want to be confused with someone who knows that for sure.
    Keith Morison
    Morison Communications

Quote Originally Posted by PeteNaz View Post
    Hey I was just wondering if anyone has any input on making my Terraphone intercom work any better. Right now I need to almost insert the microphone on my helmet into my mouth for it to pick up on anything! I'm going to start rubbing it with BBQ sauce to make it taste better.
    I experience the same issue with my Terraphone. I went so far as to buy a brand new one, and I think it actually works worse than the old one. I'll try that BBQ idea, though, as that may be the best solution for these.
    Jim Perrin - #716, but no more Jeep.... - TeamHazardRally.com

100 oversquare right

My crew chief took mine apart and re-sodered some of the connections, cleaned all the dust out, etc.

actually made it work better. and wow do these things look totally radio shack inside ...
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Sell it and get a set of Grey-tronics.

Terrible-phone is a copy of a ancient design Grey-tronics and has a fault in the amplifier circuitry that cannot be fixed.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

100 oversquare right

never heard of grey-tronics. are they compatible ? seems like they would be if one is a copy of the other

http://www.rallyintercoms.co.uk/ these guys? hmm
    Last edited by A1337STI; 08-13-2014 at 09:51 AM.
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

Graytronics are about as common as Merkurs. (common enough that people recommending them don't spell the name correctly)

In western Canada, they were around a bit a decade ago, but it seems there has been a big shift to Peltor. Compatability within the region is important for a number of reasons, from borrowing co-drivers to borrowing parts. If you're using something common, then the chances of finding a fix or spares is that much higher. As an example, I always have a spare amp with me (use it for recce) and carry spare a spare mike boom as well. While it is a bit hard to be a sheep in a snot green Honda, there are good reasons with choosing commonly used components.

There is a good number of terraphone users as well, but you're trying to get away from that in the first place.
    Keith Morison
    Morison Communications

Quote Originally Posted by Morison View Post
    There is a good number of terraphone users as well, but you're trying to get away from that in the first place.
    The terraphone I had in the Talon worked very well (for point of reference). I forget what the model was. It was indeed built with radioshack quality though.

Pete, what is the exact equipment you are using (driver and co-driver helmets, intercom, and any adapters)?

Like I said, two Peltor's with Bryan's lovely adapters on a beat-to-shit falling apart terraphone worked awesome in the Talon.
    Adam

Blew up the clutch at PFR, back at it for Big White!