Special Stage Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

FS - 1985 Volkswagen GTi – Track day/road race/stage rally project

26K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  boroko 
#1 · (Edited)
1985 Volkswagen GTi – Track day/road race/stage rally/rallycross/autocross project.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10468678@N03/sets/72157648175732211/

Exterior all stock except round headlamp conversion and lower front lip.
1.8L SOHC
All stock except Techtonics 260 deg. street cam
Bilstein Group B dampers w/Ground Control coilover sleeves 400/450 lb. springs.
New wheel bearings all around.
6 point roll cage bent and welded in by myself and Matt Bushore/Bent Mettle Racing.
Basic cage follows FIA/Rally America specifications for tubing requirements. NASA Rallysport Logbook Issued 09/07/14
Main cage - 1.75x0.95” DOM tubing. Rest of cage is 1.5x0.95” DOM.
SCCA road racing for this weight of vehicle is only 1.50”, I wanted it to be able to run in both series if necessary.

For pure rally use, I’d go back and stitch weld and add more pick up points. Road racing does not allow unlimited cage prep so the cage stayed very basic.
2 Sparco EVO 2 fixed back seats mounted with Sparco and Recaro side mounts. Co-driver seat mounted as far back as possible. It could go a bit lower with a Sparco side mount.
Schroth 5 & 6 point harnesses. One is expired and the other expires in 2017. Valid one is HANS compatible.
Battery is mounted behind co-driver in marine box.
14” VW snowflake wheels with Dunlop Direzza Z1’s.
Super heavy duty rally skid plate with modified subframe to attach skid plate.

--- Background on car ---
Very clean shell – No rot. Minor surface rust.
132k on ODO. Not sure if that's legit but I haven't driven more than 500 miles in the car. Speedo cable connection broke when I was reinstalling the cluster.
Originally AZ car. Brought to OH then MI. Stored indoors and rarely driven in winter.

Car originally came to me with a cage in it but upon inspection, the tubes were NOT welded all the way around.
Previous owner got screwed by fab shop.
I cut out the entire cage and prepped it for Bent Mettle Racing to weld in new jungle gym.

--- Extras/items not installed on car ---
Set of 14” Speedline 5 spokes w/Hankook slicks. Tires used for a couple autocrosses.
Set of 14” VW bottlecaps w/Hankook snows.
2 extra unmounted Hankook slicks.
Autometer gauges (oil pressure, oil temp and water temp)
Raceland tubular exhaust header.
Uncut instrument panel (was going to replace the hacked up one so it looks better)
Set of extra door with glass and OEM door bars still in them.
Alfa Pro rally computer. Needs wiring harness/sending unit.
4 Hella rally lights w/light bar. Mounting provisions on front bumper.
Front subframe.
Radiator support.
Aluminum radiator.
Small parts here and there. I’ll catalog them and revise the list later this week.

Besides needing to be finished, car has minor oil leak. I can’t tell where it’s coming from. The rear main seal was leaking so I replaced that but it’s leaking a bit.

--- Reason for selling ---
No time or extra money to finish project/go racing.

SOLD

Located in Dearborn MI.

See less See more
#29 ·
Interesting, I just ran across this. mykr started it, Sean had it for a while, and now I'm running it. Interesting to learn the history of a car. Still running good. Got a second in 100AW last year and another 2nd at Sno*Drift this year (2020). As any race car, always getting tweaked. Tried to get into 100AW this year, but were late in registering, so the next run is Bristol Forrest. It'll keep running in the foreseeable future. Running as ARA #235, CEL Racing.

bo

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.