Buying my first helmet. What do you recommend?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying my first helmet. What do you recommend?

Default Buying my first helmet. What do you recommend?

Hey All,

I'm purchasing my first helmet for NASA/RA events. What do you recommend?

Thanks,

nick

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

The Scorpion King John Sundelin's Avatar

A helmet that fits. That sounds snarky, but it's very important. I once bought an OMP helmet that had ear reliefs for an intercom that seemed to fit fine at the store when I tried it for about 20 seconds. By the end of the first stage that I wore it, I had a splitting headache. After fit, one that either has an intercom built in, or has an allowance for one is a very nice feature. Also, a Snell 2010 (unless there are already 2015s available) rating will give you the longest useful life. I personally have a Bell R5 Pro (superceded by the GT5 Rally) that I bought from Demon Tweeks with the full expectation that I was going to have to send it back, but it fits very well.

--
    John
    Last edited by John Sundelin; 07-30-2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Helmet model changed

100 oversquare right

usually the most expensive one that you can afford.

mine was $149. the better helmets have more clearance to your cage which is nice. try on several. it should be tight enough that if you tried to move your helmet forward and back that your scalp moves with the helmet (and scrunches your forehead when pressed forward ) if it jsut glides over it too loose.

that being said Not so tight it gives you a head ache.
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

I've tried them all, and have come around to Stilo. Crazy comfortable, great intercom. Get the lightest you can afford, for your neck on impact.

ACP

Zero Cents!

As others have noted, find a shop that carries a bunch of different models, and go try them on. In the long run, you'll want something with a dedicated intercom, which really ends up meaning you'll be looking at Stilos or Peltors, unless you want to import a Bell from Europe.

The Stilo helmet is a quality product, and will allow you to choose between open face or closed face options, in similar sizing and price points. The down side of the Stilo is that the boom is fixed in their higher line open face products. Unfortunately, I don't have a Stilo shaped head.

The Peltor G79 is the defacto "other" helmet, with the added benefit of a moveable microphone boom. Sitting on the correct side of the car, it's nice to be able to move the boom when I need to talk to workers. I'm currently wearing it's predecessor, a G78.

As per the Bell, with a bit of digging around, you should be able to find US non-intercom models of the Bell "rally" line of helmets to try on in the US. If one works for you size wise, they can then be sourced from places like Demon-Tweeks or RallyNuts in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by X Mon™ View Post
    As others have noted, find a shop that carries a bunch of different models, and go try them on. In the long run, you'll want something with a dedicated intercom, which really ends up meaning you'll be looking at Stilos or Peltors, unless you want to import a Bell from Europe.

The Stilo helmet is a quality product, and will allow you to choose between open face or closed face options, in similar sizing and price points. The down side of the Stilo is that the boom is fixed in their higher line open face products. Unfortunately, I don't have a Stilo shaped head.

The Peltor G79 is the defacto "other" helmet, with the added benefit of a moveable microphone boom. Sitting on the correct side of the car, it's nice to be able to move the boom when I need to talk to workers. I'm currently wearing it's predecessor, a G78.

As per the Bell, with a bit of digging around, you should be able to find US non-intercom models of the Bell "rally" line of helmets to try on in the US. If one works for you size wise, they can then be sourced from places like Demon-Tweeks or RallyNuts in the UK.
    Thanks for the input. I am having a hard time scraping up a helmet that has the dedicated intercom. At Sandblast I borrowed a Peltor G79 helmet which worked great. Only problem is that is is $700! Motorsports and safety aren't cheap...

Helmets are pretty important and expensive. No way around that. We went with Stilo, but try a few on for size. Also what type of intercom system do you have? Get a helmet to match, that way you don't need to spend money on adapters. Also try them in your car for clearance. Moveable booms can be nice until they break.
    If you might get motion sickness get an open face.
    A long time rally person told me that if I had an extra $2000 to spend on rally, spend it on myself not the car.

What are you buying the helmet for?
    Stage rally this year or just rallycross?

The Bell Mag 1 Rally you posted is without Hans posts. I sell those helmets for $400 and $500 depending on Hans posts, though I'm out of stock right now in Denver, all sizes are available for drop ship direct from supplier. The good thing there is that you only have to send them back to Denver if the fit isn't what you wanted. They're not on the website since we don't have them in stock but contact me direct [email protected] if you are interested.

I bought a midrange full face Bell last year for road racing and I like it. Fits a little better than my Sparco Pro Rally one did. I didn't buy a fancier helmet as I knew I'd likely not do a stage rally until 2015 so figured I'd wait to replace my old British Standard one until the SA2015 standards came out, then I'd at least get 10 years and not 6 out of my helmet.
    Grant Hughes - 1985 Merkur XR$TI Group 5
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's View Post
    Helmets are pretty important and expensive. No way around that. We went with Stilo, but try a few on for size. Also what type of intercom system do you have? Get a helmet to match, that way you don't need to spend money on adapters. Also try them in your car for clearance. Moveable booms can be nice until they break.
    If you might get motion sickness get an open face.
    A long time rally person told me that if I had an extra $2000 to spend on rally, spend it on myself not the car.

Thanks for the advice. About that $2,000 spent on PPE, that would be hard for me! It's too bad that car modifications come first.

Quote Originally Posted by granthughes View Post
    What are you buying the helmet for?
    Stage rally this year or just rallycross?

The Bell Mag 1 Rally you posted is without Hans posts. I sell those helmets for $400 and $500 depending on Hans posts, though I'm out of stock right now in Denver, all sizes are available for drop ship direct from supplier. The good thing there is that you only have to send them back to Denver if the fit isn't what you wanted. They're not on the website since we don't have them in stock but contact me direct [email protected] if you are interested.

I bought a midrange full face Bell last year for road racing and I like it. Fits a little better than my Sparco Pro Rally one did. I didn't buy a fancier helmet as I knew I'd likely not do a stage rally until 2015 so figured I'd wait to replace my old British Standard one until the SA2015 standards came out, then I'd at least get 10 years and not 6 out of my helmet.
    Thanks, email sent!