Special Stage Forums banner

Perryville 2014?

7K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  321Go 
#1 ·
Anyone have a feel for the date yet?

#4 ·
In case you didn't see it on FB, there will be no rally in Perryville in 2014 and probably not again any time soon. We hate it as much as you do, but it's a done deal. I think we learned a few things of what not to do in organizing a rally.
We are looking hard to find a replacement for this fall, but time isn't on our side to start up a new event in 3-4 months.

http://perryville.100aw.org/

#6 ·
Perry County Commissioners Meeting Minutes

Found the minutes from the Perry County Commissioners meeting on the Perry County website (http://perrycountymo.us/index.aspx?nid=82) and thought I would share it. This explains a little more about why the event was canceled. I hope things are moving forward with a replacement rally. There are some of us that live in rural areas in Missouri that would love to see a rally come to our roads. Keep us informed if we can help.

PERRY COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES Thursday, July 3, 2014
Now on the 1st day of the July Term, the Perry County Commission met pursuant to adjournment with Presiding Commissioner Carl Leuckel, Jr., 1st District Commissioner Patrick J. Heaps and 2nd District Commissioner James L. Sutterer present.

Prior Minutes

Now at this time the Commission reviews the minutes from the June 30, 2014 meeting. After due consideration, Commissioner Heaps moved to approve these minutes. Commissioner Sutterer seconded the motion and it passed by vote: Commissioner Leuckel (yes), Commissioner Heaps (yes) and Commissioner Sutterer (yes).

Farm & Forest Rally Request

Now at this time the Commission meets with several representatives of the Farm & Forest Rally Races that have been held in Perry County the last three years. In addition, Ms. Lorna Gibbar was in attendance in support of the group’s activities. Also in attendance was Ms. Amanda Layton from the Republic-Monitor Newspaper. A general discussion was held and the group would like to hold another race this year in October. 1st District Commissioner Sutterer advised that although the previous three years races were in his half of the county, he has had enough complaints from his constituents that he is not willing to hold the rally in his district. Commissioners Leuckel and Heaps advised that they are not in favor of holding the rally this year. The Commission unanimously agreed that the rally cannot be held on Perry County Roads this year.

Perry County Treasurer

Now at this time the Commission meets with Ms. Veronica J. Hershey, Perry County Treasurer, who presents to them her six-month treasurer’s report for the period January 1, 2014 through June 30, 2014. In addition, she provided the Commission with her monthly report for the period ending June 30, 2014. The Commission accepted Ms. Hershey’s reports and ordered them filed in the office of the Clerk of this Commission.

Perry County EDA

Now at this time the Commission meets with Mr. Scott Sattler, Executive Director of the Perry County EDA, who gives them an update on the activities of his organization. No action was taken at this meeting.

Adjourn
With there being no further business to come before the Commission, they adjourned until Monday, July 7, 2014.

#7 ·
Also, complaints didn't come from the residents that lived on the road but from others in the area (farmers) that drove on the roads. The complaints were very few, but enough to sway the commissioners.

Actions are underway to try and come up with a replacement fall rally.

#9 ·
The only angry guy I remember seeing was on one of the transit highways. Was at a stop sign, turning right, and saw him coming out of his house as I was turning and driving by. I thought he was waving (like almost all the locals were doing) but nah, he was waving his fist at me shouting a barrage of curse words. I just waved, smiled, and continued on. Was kind of odd.

#10 ·
Rachelle and Justin also encountered an angry guy that yelled at them and said "get the F out of here!!". It sucks as we enjoyed the event, but there are just some people that are that way and we need to work with them the best we can. And continue to show good sportsmanship during the whole event including transits!

Good luck!

#13 ·
The meeting minutes are kinda vague, can't really judge how the attitudes were during the meeting so to the people who were there - do you think it would help to form a petition to bring the rally back next year? Obviously only residents of Perry county would be effective but I know at least two of us who are here every day and I for one would be willing to help get signatures.

Some of the people I work with live on the stage roads and they loved the rally. Really disappointed that it's not returning, was there a chance at revisiting the issue? If so can we put out a public notice so that more supporters of the rally could attend the meeting next time?

-Adam

#14 ·
I'd say probably have them contact their representative. Explaining they actually live on the roads and like what it brings the town, and question why it was canceled, and they want to move out of perryville now, and see the jobs shut down, and the hotels shuttered.... well, maybe not that far. :)

#15 ·
It was on transit from the end of the stage where they DNF'ed, this was later in the day when the crew came to pick them and the car up, they were driving back and I believe they were crossing a narrow bridge? If I remember they DNF'ed on stage 5?

#16 ·
It is sad, but there is so little that can be done... Even a small rally like this brings $10,000's of dollars to the area. Our pathetic little team spends 2 nights, 2 rooms hotel; 6-7 meals of 4-5 people; car parts (mud flaps and an alternator last time) truck gas and 91 octane for the rally car.

#18 ·
Sad news - sorry we never made it. As all organizers know, it just takes a vocal minion or minority. Politicians are ultimately cowards. Google RNY for a perfect example of pissing off townships and losing hosting locales serially.

#19 ·
We appreciate the support and enthusiasm, but it would be best if you all left Perryville alone for now. Maybe some day we can revive it, but there is no support from the county on it now. There's always more to the story but it's not gonna be put up on a public forum for anyone to read and hypothesize about. Feel free to contact me offline if you want the details but only if you need the info for organizing your rally.
Still hoping to get something together for this fall and have a couple guys enthusiastically working on it. Will let everyone know when we there's more to tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.