Special Stage Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subaru differential help!

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Red 5 
#1 ·
Hey guys so I found a viscous LSD differential for my 98 impreza 2.5RS rally car. So today I tore apart my cars rear end to get the LSD in there and ready for my next event. While doing that I found that the ends of the axles that go into the carrier and into the diff are different. The splines work but the connection is improper. How should I go about this? I'm going to go to subaru tomorrow and see about getting different axles that will work. Seeing as the diff is from a different type of subaru (like a forester) could I just get those axles and swap them with my impreza axles so my diff swap works? Or are the axles for the vehicles different lengthens?

I'd just like to get some opinions from other people on how they would do it or how they have done it.

#2 ·
The difference is LSD vs non-LSD. The Forester axles will be longer than what you are looking for. You should be able to run either WRX wagon axles or axles from an RS with LSD.

Factory rebuilt axles should be Cardones. I'm not sure who carries them in the wild north, but here south of the border NAPA Remans are the same axle. They can be had for under $70 each, plus core.

#3 ·
Thanks for the help... But I'm still having no luck even after going to the wreakers and I went to subaru and a parts store. I was told the rear end I bought was a 91 turbo legacy that was automatic. So I want to napa and decided to buy 91 lagacy axles... I took them home and went to install them. I couldn't the diameters of the male and female spindles are bigger then what I have. I went back to napa and the guy said that they are listed as working on the legacy rear end I have and also working on the impreza car I have. But they don't. I'm getting really frustrated because I have less then a month before my event and my cars ripped apart. The wreaker that I bought the diff/carrier from won't take it back even though he swore up and down that it would work for me. I need some serious help and my mind is fired!

Also I tried to buy just the cvs to try and make a frankin axle but napa told me they don't sell them anymore just the axles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.