"O" Rally Forester Sti. - Page 3
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: "O" Rally Forester Sti.

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by B85 View Post
    Hi John. And thanks for the input!

The struts have 6.57" and 7.4" stroke, F and R. For now this will be the start point to find out if I can Rally X. If things go well ,I will start looking for "real" coilovers. Also have found away to us up to 14" springs in the front. The rear will not be so easy. Tire is in the way. Different offset wheel would help but dont want to go their . Will stay stock for now.

Spring are big . Will look into others.

Randy

Seriously... You know i do manufacture more rally susspenion than any other place in North America, as far as we know, OK and over 60% is Subaru...so I'm not just some keyboard suspension ex-spurt... First thing is if the advice comes from auto-crossers you are safe to assume they know less than nothing and the advice is invariably wrong by major factors...Best thing is to never ever speak with them...its more pleasant when you don't have to wonder hopw people doing a simple little playing in a parking lot can so consistantly say the same stupid crap with such astounding confidence...

Second and most important: match stuff ---dampers matched to springs is always better than mid-matched stuff....
    The valving inside the strut/shock/whatever is set to generate X fors--it is speed sensitive within a certain range but basically you can say its match to a certain spring..

Change the spring rate by say 100% stiffer, and the shock/strut/damper/whatever WILL BE underdamped,

Matched whatever is always better than severely underdamped.

Third: you have a variety of ways of dealing with springs and damping too soft---dodge things, slow down, weight/unweight before bumps---
    There is nothing you can do with way too stiff springs/dampers.
    You're fawked.

Forth:
    Whatever else you learn you better learn about weight shift..forward weight shift and outward...that's how we go around corners--regardless of surface..
    The springs --and dampers whicg control them---better be compliant enough to let you shift weight forwards and forwards and outside AT THE SPEED AND AGGRESSIVE LEVEL you're going to initially be.

Too stiff and you won't move weight forward under noobular levels of namby pamby braking...

You need to learn to do things BEFORE moving forward on bad advice... Especially when the advice ad choice is as bad as it obviously is..

NOT after these springs have Po-go-ed you onto the roof.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Thanks again, John

I went with 50% +- of wheel weight for springs. Not being a dirt guy I went with my road racing past. Was told by KYB the struts would work OK with up to 350 Lbs,in.

When you get a chance would you PM me with a price for a full set for my Forester?

Randy

Test drive. Just for fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BknU...ature=youtu.be

And with white doors.

Randy

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Full repaint in white. Then maybe a rap with the shop logo ? She will be a Rally X car first then ?? We will see how "I " do ?

Got some parts today and started work on the 12" springs. First shot is a AGX with the spring plate cut down for the groung control coil over kit. And beside it is the AGX with the plate cut/turned off. Built a spacer to go down to the axle pickup point. No more coil bind. But will it work ? only time will tell ?? Also got some locost camber mounts. We will see if they work also ? Only $75 . The ones in the Forester were , shot.

Randy

The Scorpion King John Sundelin's Avatar

Are you going to the rallycross in Tucson tomorrow?

--
    John

As you know now, no. I spent the weekend up at the Overland Expo.

Hope to make the next event.
    Randy

Scaled the car today . With driver almost no fuel, stock seats , 2950 Lbs.
    57% front /43% rear.

I have not started the hard to remove tar yet. Still pretty close to stock, some inside panels.

So what do you Rally guys think ?
    Randy

You are making good progress. Are you planning on taking it to stage rally?
    I always wanted to race in Prescott when I lived in AZ. There are some fun roads up there.
    #594 - 98 Subaru Legacy Open Light

Well I need to learn to Rally first. The Rally thing is new to me . But YES . Still have alot of building to do !
    Thanks, Randy

Do not ask ,it just looked like the next thing to do ?

Well, today started the first part of this build that is for "RALLY" ! Worked on the front coilover tower reinforcement . This will have a tower brace also !

First you clean off the paint and body filler. Also good time to do some seam welding .

Then get some paper and cut out the form you need.

Then cut the plate.

Then fit.

Then weld. Will post that Friday.
    Randy