'98 Subaru Legacy open light build
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: '98 Subaru Legacy open light build

Default '98 Subaru Legacy open light build

I have been getting requests for a build thread for the Legacy and have been putting off starting this due to a lack of things getting done, but as parts and tools come in and the weather gets less erratic things are getting ready to ramp up.

So to start I picked up this Legacy as a Craigslist special for $600 at the Lake of the Ozarks. Under $1000 and I was able to drive it all the way home without any thing breaking, I was stoked. All I had to do was throw a good battery in it and drive it away.

One of the very first things I did was get a estimated weight as purchased before I started any work on it. Wow, she needs to go on a diet. Not to bad on the balance though only 400lbs more on the front axle.

Well the Legacy is a bit bigger than the Imprezas but I am counting on that extra bit of girth to help it be a little more stable in the corners.
    One of the first things on the TODO List was to ditch the automatic tranny. With the automatic this thing drives like a granny car I believe the transmission ecu is setup for good fuel mileage and I hear there is a power mod for it but I would much rather just swap it for a 5mt. Less weight, more gear grabbing

When I was looking around for a 5mt tranny I found a guy in Joplin that has been doing some swapping around on Subarus and had lots of extra parts laying around that he needed to get rid of. Score

We made 3 trips total and picked up a 5mt transmission, driveshaft, 4.11 rear end, H transmission crossmember, starter, 2 clutches, 4 wheels and tires with decent tread, cai tube, maf sensor, headers and full length exhaust all from a 2.5rs.

I have heard that Subarus are like Legos, I guess I will see how well this holds true as I piece all this stuff together.

The first wheel pic is the set from Joplin a nice set of 16's that are way better than the oem steel wheels. Also you can see in that pic that I have a mudflap mocked up. After chatting with MConte05 about his Legacy's that he's ran I figured that I will need to get some 15s for gravel tires. That's what the white wheels are for.

I ordered a pedal set, master clutch cylinder and slave cylinder with all the lines from Ebay. Thankfully the firewall all ready has the needed hole for the master clutch cylinder and also for the manual shifter in the tunnel.

I stripped the interior. I was lucky and removed all the sound deadening stuff on a day that was 32F outside right after a day that was 67F outside. Most of it just pealed/broke right off without having to use the dry ice method.

New steering wheel and mockup for dash switch panel. I also got a new clutch, a lightweight flywheel, a kartboy short throw shifter with new bushings and new bushings for the transmission crossmember.

I need to pick up bushing for this part as well but not sure what this part is called
    I just know that it feels sloppy with the side to side play, also isn't there supposed to be a center return spring on these transmissions?

I got the hood pins installed and removed the latch and cable
    I have also deleted the a/c and am replacing the radiator with an all aluminum racing radiator and an oil cooler.
    I am going to swap the tranny out while I am pulling the engine to replace the head gaskets with Cometic hg's and change the timing belt and other gaskets. Will start doing that either this or next weekend.
    #594 - 98 Subaru Legacy Open Light

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Oh wow that was fun.

Nice. I've always wanted to see that generation Legacy in rally trim.
    Flat sixed Subaru Legacy sedan. (Rebuild underway)

Thank you, biggreen96, I think it will be interesting building this generation of a Legacy for rally. It has been hard to find any of these that have been built. It is usually the older generation ones that I believe are a bit smaller. Got the seats and radiator in today but no time to get them installed yet. Unfortunately the radiator doesn't fit as I had hoped, I may need to do some modifications or sell this one and pick up a different one. I could not find any that were a direct fit for this model so I thought I would try one for a 2.5RS of a similar year in hopes of being close enough. I will get some new pics up asap.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

New shiny

I don't think this fits.

And what is up with this part

2 things to add to your list to make a difference.

http://www.grimmspeed.com/master-cyl...forester-baja/

http://pdmusa1.com/
    Cheers,

Chris

Rally Mini Cooper JCW #37: Sponsors EBC brakes,Muflas Sicar,Fortech CR, G oil CR, Minigearboxes UK

Thanks Chris, I will take a look at those for my next parts order. I have seen the master cylinder brace but was unsure if it did enough to make it worth it. I will be changing to steel braided brake and clutch lines as well. I have not seen the transmission sleeve before, is this something you've used on your vehicles? I have been working on my "trick" door cards as well. I got some plastic sign material big enough for the rear doors for free and used some self tapping screws to attach them to the doors. Need to find some signs long enough for the front doors now. I was thinking of just covering them with random stickers. I will have to get some pics of them up soon.
    Working on pulling the engine and then tranny atm. Took forever to get the bottom 2 nuts holding the tranny to the engine off. Still haven't separated the engine and tranny yet. I ran out of time to mess with it tonight. Will try some more tomorrow after work.

I used both on my Legacy. Get someone to push the brake pedal while you watch the brake booster, you'll see it move about 3/4' forward! Also check where the throw out bearing sits on the input shaft, for sure the aluminium is worn. I used the sign board for my doors then covered them in 3M faux carbon fiber.
    Cheers,

Chris

Rally Mini Cooper JCW #37: Sponsors EBC brakes,Muflas Sicar,Fortech CR, G oil CR, Minigearboxes UK

Wow 3/4 inch movement. That's crazy. I will look closely at the transmission input shaft today, it most likely is worn. I was thinking of covering the door cards with sheets of this stuff

It will be cheaper than a bunch of stickers.
    Thanks Chris.

looks a little tacky wouldn't plain be better?
    Cheers,

Chris

Lmao. Yeah it would be tacky. That's kinda the point with that stuff. It would be funny looking.