Medical Insurance anybody???

Thread: Medical Insurance anybody???

Default Medical Insurance anybody???

Hi everyone,

I've been looking to do event in north-america in general and I've found out that if we crash and I need to be carried to the hospital no insurance will cover this except in Quebec were it's basically free since I live there(don't know about other Canadian province). Are you all taking risk or are you sure you have an insurance that covers those risk. I'm young, not a lot of money or assets so if a crash and it cost a lot I'm probably bankrupt... I've ask a bunch of people and nobody knows even people who are managing team... apparently it's really not a big deal to anyone...

What about everyone of you out there?

Thanks

Hubert Gaudreau
    Vice-President
    Club Auto Sport La Licorne
    Facebook Group
    Codriver
    Fable Rally Team

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

I'm posting here because I'm interested to know for sure, this will make me be able to find the thread easier in the future... I was under the impression that part of the cost of the race went toward racing insurance. I know that's how the SCCA works, if you are injured the race insurance covers X amount. Looking forward to hearing what people with more info have to say though.

The primary purpose of the liability insurance at a rally is to cover the organizer from you suing him. Also to cover you from being sued by the farmer whose cow you hit. It is not to cover your medical expenses in case of a serious crash. That said, RA does have an excess medical expense coverage in that if your medical expenses exceed your personal coverage, then RA insurance will kick in. Also, RA has/had a separate rider to cover the cost of being helicoptered out since most medical policies will not cover that. And it is very expensive. That is also how SCCA insurance works.

ETA: See this site for specifics about those of you who reside in Quebec: http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citize...s-covered.aspx
    Last edited by RichardM; 03-13-2014 at 03:07 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!! Anders Green's Avatar

Both US rally organizations carry medical coverage. One is about 20 times larger than the other.

http://www.nasarallysport.com/main/insurance-comparison

So yes, you're racing, you're covered.

Helicopter flight could be $30,000 easy, before any other treatment.

Cheers,
    Anders
    NASA Rally Sport Director
    Your question is probably answered in Rally University.

Please note that even with the very good policy from NRS, it is still an excess medical policy. That is, your own medical insurance is first in line to cover you.

NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!! Anders Green's Avatar

Yes. If you have no insurance, there's a $1000 deductible, and then the next million dollars is taken care of.

Anders
    NASA Rally Sport Director
    Your question is probably answered in Rally University.