CoDrivers - Emergency Procedures / Tips - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: CoDrivers - Emergency Procedures / Tips

  1. #11
    100 K left 2 Verruckt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    6

    Default

    These are all great ideas and are obviously the result of experience. Come on oh experienced ones... More!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #12
    [email protected] -> Magnetic Tree
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    North Grafton, MA, USA.
    Posts
    438

    Default

    My personal "ideal" solution for this ...

    Have a small pocket sewn onto the calf of your suit and have it stitched vertically such that there are a couple of pen/pencil sized slots in it and one larger slot that will fit a small mag light. That way there is always a pen/pencil and a small flashlight on you at all times, can be easily reached even when tightly strapped into the car, and they are not going to go anywhere. You don't want a pocket on your thigh or chest because it can get very uncomfortable, and/or hard to get to when smashed up against the seat or under the belts. Not to mention dangerous.

    That said, my car also has the stock door cards still in place, so I put an elastic band across the top of the storage pocket on the passenger's side to trap pens/pencils/paper, small flashlights under so you are not fishing around for them.

    And I'll second having a laminated OK/Red Cross sign that is velcro'd to the roof within easy reach of both of you. Laminated being a key word here - it is not fun to have a floppy, wet, disintegrating sign when it is pouring down rain. One additional benefit to this - you can train yourself to NEVER take the route book/notes out of the car when stopping on stage. It is way too easy to accidentally leave them behind, on the roof, drop them in the mud, get them soaking wet, etc. Should you get going again, that can really suck.

  4. #13
    R4Vlg>TREE
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chicago/St. Louis, USA
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Thanks guys, this is indeed all good advice that I wanted to see. If Anders is listening, these kind of veteran tips are great for the Rally University. I love that thing.

    Brad - I would actually love to practice escape a few times in various scenarios. I know that some of the road race bodies require you to do escape testing. Maybe I'm just paranoid and inviting bad luck or however you want to see it, but I actually like to prepare as best I can. You're never thinking all that clearly when the adrenaline starts going, so having some muscle memory to it is never a bad thing.

    I wish it were even reasonable to test like roll escape and such, but the practicalities there are pretty harsh.

    So far I am pretty good about not taking the books from the car - the dash is a perfect shelf when I'm unbuckling and hopping out, so I toss the whole set up there and keep them there. I did think about that in the past, and realized I should try to not. Even more worrying would be losing the time card.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #14

    Default

    We've thankfully never yet had a serious off. Our best one so far was our famous "FMG Veronica" moment at Targa Newfoundland 2010 when the Nissan 240 fell into a deep rock-filled ditch, co-driver side down (of course).





    Cars run at 30-sec intervals at Targa and still Martin was out his door with triangle and OK sign ready in time to warn the next car. I couldn't get my door open, so I climbed out my window. It's nice to know I can actually do that.

    Another time we were jammed into a snowbank (again on my side). I couldn't open my door, so again Martin hopped out with the triangle. I didn't feel like falling out of my window armpit deep into a snowbank, or filling my boots with snow, so I climbed over and out the driver's door.

    That's bloody awkward! Have you ever tried that in your car?

    Climbing over the centre console, gear shift and handbrake lever in the way. Then you fall into the driver's deep bucket seat, now there's no way to get your long legs around because the steering wheel is in the way. You sorta have to do a backwards somersault to get your legs out the door, then your HANS hangs up and you strangle yourself with your helmet strap.

    Meanwhile Martin comes running back and finds me hanging upside down in his seat. WTF are you doing?

  7. #15
    R4Vlg>TREE
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chicago/St. Louis, USA
    Posts
    231

    Default

    I actually kind of want to try getting out via the driver's side sometime, just to know how clumsy it will be. Driver is much shorter than I am, so the seat<>wheel distance is pretty small. I'm quite certain it won't be fun if I ever have to do it. The way you describe it seems pretty confusing. I assumed I'd end up climbing his seat as if it were a ladder and out is "up".

  8. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowImg View Post
    I actually kind of want to try getting out via the driver's side sometime, just to know how clumsy it will be. Driver is much shorter than I am, so the seat<>wheel distance is pretty small. I'm quite certain it won't be fun if I ever have to do it. The way you describe it seems pretty confusing. I assumed I'd end up climbing his seat as if it were a ladder and out is "up".
    If the car ends up on its side, or roof, I imagine it would work like that. In a real emergency, I'd just dive head first out the door or window. But with the car sitting flat on its wheels, I made the mistake of dragging myself across butt first, then had no room to swing my legs around. It was clumsy and awkward.

    Always worth watching is the classic video in this thread: https://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?37689
    Temporarily stuck in car by HANS
    "Mother****er I hate this ****ing sport!"

    I get the giggles every time I watch that. But it could have been much more serious.

  9. #17
    Itinerant Co-Driver
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Leamington, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rallycat66 View Post
    My personal "ideal" solution for this ...

    Have a small pocket sewn onto the calf of your suit and have it stitched vertically such that there are a couple of pen/pencil sized slots in it and one larger slot that will fit a small mag light. That way there is always a pen/pencil and a small flashlight on you at all times, can be easily reached even when tightly strapped into the car, and they are not going to go anywhere. You don't want a pocket on your thigh or chest because it can get very uncomfortable, and/or hard to get to when smashed up against the seat or under the belts. Not to mention dangerous.

    That said, my car also has the stock door cards still in place, so I put an elastic band across the top of the storage pocket on the passenger's side to trap pens/pencils/paper, small flashlights under so you are not fishing around for them.

    And I'll second having a laminated OK/Red Cross sign that is velcro'd to the roof within easy reach of both of you. Laminated being a key word here - it is not fun to have a floppy, wet, disintegrating sign when it is pouring down rain. One additional benefit to this - you can train yourself to NEVER take the route book/notes out of the car when stopping on stage. It is way too easy to accidentally leave them behind, on the roof, drop them in the mud, get them soaking wet, etc. Should you get going again, that can really suck.
    I have a co-driver bag like this, which gets secured to the door bars: http://www.sabelt.com/en/racing/Prod.../04BS-150.aspx

    I keep a light and a back cover from an old route book in it (as well as my time card and route book when I'm on stage).

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferdinand View Post
    If the car ends up on its side, or roof, I imagine it would work like that. In a real emergency, I'd just dive head first out the door or window. But with the car sitting flat on its wheels, I made the mistake of dragging myself across butt first, then had no room to swing my legs around. It was clumsy and awkward.

    Always worth watching is the classic video in this thread: https://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?37689
    Temporarily stuck in car by HANS
    "Mother****er I hate this ****ing sport!"

    I get the giggles every time I watch that. But it could have been much more serious.
    When Mark and I rolled at Lanark in 2011, my HANS got caught on the roll cage briefly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWIySaC8aj0#t=330

    It was only for about 5 seconds, but while I was stuck and realized that we were completely blocking a narrow road around a blind corner, it felt WAY longer.

  10. #18
    R4Vlg>TREE
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chicago/St. Louis, USA
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hagan View Post
    When Mark and I rolled at Lanark in 2011, my HANS got caught on the roll cage briefly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWIySaC8aj0#t=330

    It was only for about 5 seconds, but while I was stuck and realized that we were completely blocking a narrow road around a blind corner, it felt WAY longer.
    As it's been mentioned a few times now - how do HANS devices get stuck on anything? I'm trying to imagine how mine could get snagged on a cage or anything and I can't quite come to any conclusion as to how it could. Since it's just a U shaped hunk of polycarbonate attached to my helmet - mine can't really move on my neck. Is it one of the "legs" that comes down over the chest getting snagged somehow?

    Also, is that a kite string attached to your time card?

  11. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowImg View Post
    As it's been mentioned a few times now - how do HANS devices get stuck on anything? I'm trying to imagine how mine could get snagged on a cage or anything and I can't quite come to any conclusion as to how it could. Since it's just a U shaped hunk of polycarbonate attached to my helmet - mine can't really move on my neck. Is it one of the "legs" that comes down over the chest getting snagged somehow?
    I'd guess most people are getting hung up with a cage bar between the helmet and the "tombstone" shaped piece that's the top of the hans.

  12. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bopApocalypse View Post
    I'd guess most people are getting hung up with a cage bar between the helmet and the "tombstone" shaped piece that's the top of the hans.
    That's my issue. I'm tall. If I lean out headfirst my helmet just clears the top of the door opening, but if I don't lean down enough the HANS catches the top lip of the door opening.

    Here's another rollover with the car ending back on its wheels. At the end Jamie, the plus-sized driver, has to come out the passenger door. Other than initially clearing the lip of his bucket seat, he doesn't seem to have any problem at all climbing across the car.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLWvJfyKOXU

    I guess that's one of the advantages of FWD. Our RWD Nissan 240 has a high transmission tunnel between the seats. I can't as easily swing my legs over that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •