My beater e36 rallycross car
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My beater e36 rallycross car

100 K left 2

Default My beater e36 rallycross car

I posted in the "introduce yourself" thread a few months back and havent posted since. Figured I would share the "build" of my e36. Hopefully this is the right forum.

Purchased this '93 BMW 325is for practically nothing in june of last year. 220k miles, interior was trashed. Engine ran strong, transmission shifted smooth, LSD worked, drove it home 90+ miles.

This is a very low budget build as I love rally but cannot afford to buy/build a proper car. I have a garage full of metal fabricating tools and this is what I can do for now, and I have a blast doing it.

When I bought it:

While playing around on the dirt roads by my house two days after I got it, I caught a berm and ripped the bumper off, so I fabricated this:

I threw some steel wheels on it and took it rallycrossing. I go to the az rally group events held in tucson. First event was in July, I placed dead last in my class. Second event was in September, I did much better, 4th in class behind 3 guys driving the same ford focus. Not enough entries to separate fwd and rwd.

Heres a video I made from the second event. Blown out struts spewing fluid, crappy all season tires, fun times.

After that event, new struts were put on, and I built a skidplate from bumper to engine crossmember, then from engine crossmember to body crossmember.

Last edited by quikdrummer; 02-01-2014 at 05:28 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 K left 2

I competed in the November rallycross and placed 4th again, behind the same guys in the focus.

While at that event I picked up some used winterforce tires from a fellow rallycrosser that are a size too big. I made them work with a little "inspiration" from the big hammer and a grinder when I got home.

After that event I replaced a good chunk of the front end suspension, balljoints and control arms, bushings, swaybar ends, tie rod ends... I also began to gut the interior.

100 K left 2

Which brings us up to date.

I finished gutting the carpet and in the process broke the plastic doodads that hold the center console around the shifter in place. So I had this mess to deal with

Thats all the wiring from the onboard computer, heated seat switches, window switches, etc. I know I can get rid of a lot of it, but I'm a little scared to start yanking wires. So for now it stays. However i didnt feel like staring at it, so I picked up a small panel of sheet metal today and made this:

Overall Im happy with the fit, but the flasher switch hole turned out crappy, needs some cleaning up and some sort of gasket or something around it, it jiggles around. Also I only had two switches, thus the empty hole. Can't decide whether to do a better job grinding it and leave it bare, or give it some krylon.

Next rallycross event is Feb 15th. I will be competing in modified 2wd this time around. They even used my car in the promo flyer for the series!

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

200 square left

I like your car-looks like fun!

What size tires?

They look awfully large...

It's great you are getting seat time and will most likely improve your scores as you gain experience,but don't underestimate how much performance can be sapped by tires that are too large.

Not only too heavy,but too tall diameter can kill your gearing....

100 K left 2

Quote Originally Posted by rallyxr4ti View Post
    I like your car-looks like fun!

What size tires?

They look awfully large...

It's great you are getting seat time and will most likely improve your scores as you gain experience,but don't underestimate how much performance can be sapped by tires that are too large.

Not only too heavy,but too tall diameter can kill your gearing....
    Yeah, I got them for $50 for all four, I figure it was worth it to experiment. I do know the all seasons weren't cutting it, and these came up for cheap.

Stock tire size on this car is 205/60r15, around 24.75" diameter. These are 215/70r15, just under 27". I will see how they do in a few weeks, I have driven it around town and some dirt roads, and while I could tell a difference, it wasn't huge. Gearing is pretty low stock in the 325is. One of the guys I compete with drives a e30 running general grabbers in the same size and seems to do pretty well. I will definitely update after the event in feb.

Thanks for the response too.

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by quikdrummer View Post
    Yeah, I got them for $50 for all four, I figure it was worth it to experiment. I do know the all seasons weren't cutting it, and these came up for cheap.

Stock tire size on this car is 205/60r15, around 24.75" diameter. These are 215/70r15, just under 27". I will see how they do in a few weeks, I have driven it around town and some dirt roads, and while I could tell a difference, it wasn't huge. Gearing is pretty low stock in the 325is. One of the guys I compete with drives a e30 running general grabbers in the same size and seems to do pretty well. I will definitely update after the event in feb.

Thanks for the response too.
    pretty low?
    Back axle on the chart I looked at says its like 3.15:1 ... That sky HIGH. Big 27" tires going to make it like its 2.85....even higher.
    "Low" is like my old stock Saab at 4.88:1

Maybe iit makes no difference but its the wrong way to wake up a car and have more fun to bump gearing HIGHER

(think of the trans...first gear is sometimes called "low" or when its 4.25 like a pick up its "granny low". 5th is "top gear" or "high gear")

Are there any bumps at all where you go play around? Those things are notoriously short on travel in front...less than 140mm total travel.
    YIKES!
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Tires too wide and not enough tread void. Otherwise looks terrific!

ACP

100 K left 2

I understand how tire size affects gearing. As I said, this is a verrrrrrryyy low budget rallyx car. As in, I don't even have $1500 in it as she sits now. The traction increase to gearing loss on the relatively low speed courses we run should wash out. And if they end up making the car too sluggish, then I can pass them on to someone else.

I am not building a competitive racecar... Yet
    Last edited by quikdrummer; 02-01-2014 at 10:23 PM.

100 K left 2

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Comrie Picard View Post
    Tires too wide and not enough tread void. Otherwise looks terrific!

ACP
    Thanks!

Awesome Build! Great work with the car. I've always secretly liked the thought of rallying a BMW