Interesting RallyMoto / history statistic

Thread: Interesting RallyMoto / history statistic

NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!! Anders Green's Avatar

Question Interesting RallyMoto / history statistic

Last year, there were about 676 drivers/codrivers in the country. Of those, about 508 started rallying in 2007 or later.

So interestingly, with the first RallyMoto event in 2007, for 75.1% of car rally racers in the US, there has always been motorcycles rallying ever since they got started in rally.

That's Monday morning's interesting factoid.

Anders
    NASA Rally Sport Director
    Your question is probably answered in Rally University.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Are you saying 75% of "car rally racers" started after 2007?

That sounds like exponential growth to have 3 times more racers in 7 years than in the whole of prior history.

L5 Lg > 4 into Broken

My first ever event was Sandblast 2007...so I guess I fit perfectly into that factiod

It was a great rally, even though we DNF'd at the launch of SS1 when our distributor rotor blew apart when the driver dropped the clutch.

Second Factoid: Who started the current, common (and incorrect) usage of "factoid"?

Jeremy

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!! Anders Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C_Eixen View Post
    Are you saying 75% of "car rally racers" started after 2007?
    Sort of. I'm saying that of the current car rally racers (by which I'm excluding motorcycle riding rally racers) 75% of them started after 2007. "Current" meaning people who raced in the entire 2013 season, the most recent complete season.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Eixen View Post
    That sounds like exponential growth to have 3 times more racers in 7 years than in the whole of prior history.
    No, it doesn't speak to growth at all. It's actually talking about the (natural) attrition rate, current competitors leaving the sport and being replaced by new competitors. It's saying that of the 2326 racers who competed between 2000 and 2006, only 168, or about 7 percent, are around six to twelve years later.

Anders

ps: It's of course possible that someone that rallied BEFORE 2000 who took 2000 to 2006 off then came in back 2013 wouldn't be caught by this math, but the number of those would be really small. Maybe 1? 3? Tiny.
    NASA Rally Sport Director
    Your question is probably answered in Rally University.

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Anders Green View Post
    It's saying that of the 2326 racers who competed between 2000 and 2006, only 168, or about 7 percent, are around six to twelve years later.

Anders.
    That's why since 1984-85 I've been saying recruitment is good but retention is better....anybody with a small business knows that..
    It's extra bad in my book cause I think you need about 10 years at a sport to get any good at it..
    Last one I did before rally took me longer than that.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

100 oversquare right bentmettle's Avatar

It'd be more interesting to see what the numbers look like for RallyMoto... it's arguably cheaper. MUCH cheaper- are those people coming back?

don't cut

The numbers don't reflect the actual retention in the sport John. Old pharts like us still are involved, just different roles. I think the retention numbers are better than illustrated. Rally isn't a cheap nor easy sport. Staying in it as a driver for over 10 years would be amazing. Staying longer as a co-driver might be a bit more realistic. We dropped out and went boating. Similar expense but way more relaxing and way less work. Others have kids, get involved in T-ball or motoX or horses or gymnastics. Buy a bigger house or whatever. While rally could be considered a sport, it is really more of a hobby..and a selfish one quite frankly. Not family friendly like camping or fishing or any number of "normal' recreational activities. As Ray Damitio always said " nice people don't rally" . Meaning normal people, it was our way of poking fun at ourselves, but a true observation. So retention is a nice thought but recruiting is the correct answer in rallies case..

your other left, you idiot

Hey now...

press on,
    just a poor, dumb, Michigan(now Wisconsin) navie
    KC8YHT
    jimmy