Special Stage Forums banner

First time working a Canadian rally, maybe...

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Bruce Beauvais 
#1 ·
[h=2]First off, I have done a bit of searching of the SS forums for info on rally workers in Canada, but info was a bit thin... [/h]
I'm looking into the possibility of working Perce-Neige, since I couldn't work Sno-Drift. I have worked a fair number of Rally-America and NASARally events, but this would be my first Canadian rally. I am assuming that much of what I would do to get ready for Sno-Drift would work for Perce-Neige. I am assuming from material that I have read, that most CRS protocols will be similar or the same as RA and NRS. My main focus/intent would be to help with radio, though I have some experience in a variety of other areas, as well.

That being said, I would love to hear folks suggestions about differences between working the "States" and the birthplace of hockey! Are there particulars about PN that I should be aware of? I just got my NEXUS card and would be driving up from Pennsylvania via the New York/Buffalo area. Suggestions on $, driving issues, local customs that I should observe, etc. Another friend who loves to work sweep is considering the trip as well. Thank you to any who might help!

#2 ·
Hi Dave,

Am not Canadian but, have been to Perce Niege and listening to the radio net seemed like most of the conversations were in French. Not surprising since the rally is in Quebec Since you are wanting to work Radio, if you don't speak French, might be an issue. Most there do speak English so working should not be an issue and it was a great experience. Not a lot of hotel space in Maniwaki so might look now for a room if you are going. Take a look at their website and contact one of the organizers to get the best help.

#3 ·

Thanks Dave for the cues! If I don't work radio, I'll gladly take a road marshal spot since, in the last 3 years or so, I rarely get to see cars at speed anymore! I knew that I might have issues with housing, but I am hoping that I can use the Internet, forums, and my rally contacts to work something out. I have initiated contact with organizers; the website seems a bit thin on info, but perhaps I am missing stuff -- I'll take another look.

#4 ·
It's been mentioned here before but when asked the purpose of your visit- do not say you're "working" the rally. They'll assume you're stealing a high-payin rally job from a Canadian. You'll spend some time trying to sort that out. Tell them you're watching the event, volunteering or visiting Maniwiki., anything but "work". Crossing with a Nexxus card may change some of that but the basic is "work" is a bad word.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.