Just moved to Colorado Springs - Looking to organize or crew for the Hillclimb/100AW

Thread: Just moved to Colorado Springs - Looking to organize or crew for the Hillclimb/100AW

Default Just moved to Colorado Springs - Looking to organize or crew for the Hillclimb/100AW

I've been driving and wrenching on Mitsubishis since '93, I know my way around Subarus, dirt bikes of all types.

I was Rallymaster of the Rally in the 100 Acre Wood from 2002 to 2006, and I drove 00 and 000 at that event.

I'm a triple threat. I can drive, wrench, and organize!

I'm looking to help out as crew at the 100AW (driving down 70? Pick me up in Limon) or for the HillClimb. If anyone knows of a friendly/desperate political entity lets organize a rally!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Sorry no one has responded to your message yet! Welcome to Colorado and hope to meet you soon.

Feel free to give me a call and we can talk about the local rally scene and some options here.

Sincerely,

303-868-7569
    Roger Matthews

Welcome to Colorado! The stagnate CHCA could sure use your help! Dave Kern is the rally class
    rep for the club. He attends monthly meetings in CO Spgs and might be able to use your input. I know there was a stage rally in the works in Cripple Creek CO years ago. Everything was a go but the organizer (Pete Matthewson) never got any help to bring the event to fruition. Rally Colorado in Steamboat is sorely missed by all! Why RA would have the Mt. Washington invitational rather than add Rally CO back on the calendar is beyond me. Maybe it could be brought back under a different sanctioning body? I just moved to TN for a bit. I will encourage some of the Denver guys to respond to your post. The Temple Canyon hill climb is coming up in May and might be a fun place to spectate and meet some people. Good luck.
    Aaron McConnell

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJMcConnell View Post
    Rally Colorado in Steamboat is sorely missed by all! Why RA would have the Mt. Washington invitational rather than add Rally CO back on the calendar is beyond me. Maybe it could be brought back under a different sanctioning body?
    RA wanted info on what needed to be done to get Rally CO back on the map. I was asked to contact those in the know. No one I attempted to talk to gave me any info or seemed to be that interested in getting it back up.

So....if you want an event to (re)organize....there you go.
    Car control is when you tell your driver to not cut and he doesn't cut.

eating dust taking photos KevinG5Hahn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by akneipp View Post
    RA wanted info on what needed to be done to get Rally CO back on the map. I was asked to contact those in the know. No one I attempted to talk to gave me any info or seemed to be that interested in getting it back up.

So....if you want an event to (re)organize....there you go.
    What info did you need? I might have some of it anyway...
    Kevin Hahn
    KevinHahnPhotography.com
    "altitude just means not lifting..."

Welcome!
    We have a good amount of rally cars, some of the best potential rally roads around, and a complete inability to ever have a rally on those roads thanks to politics and such.
    We're going out to 100AW to crew to Bis/Chiarelli. Kern/Kern are planning to go as well and likely need crew also.
    I don't think Colorado people are very active on specialstage much anymore.
    Grant Hughes - 1985 Merkur XR$TI Group 5
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215

Mostly TSD Weenie

Quote Originally Posted by granthughes View Post
    Welcome!
    We have a good amount of rally cars, some of the best potential rally roads around, and a complete inability to ever have a rally on those roads thanks to politics and such.
    We're going out to 100AW to crew to Bis/Chiarelli. Kern/Kern are planning to go as well and likely need crew also.
    I don't think Colorado people are very active on specialstage much anymore.
    Hi Grant,
    With all due respect, a lot of those political problems are caused by impatience on the part of the rally community. I was involved in the organizing efforts until I left in 2007. One of my big frustrations was that one of the organizers would come in with big plans. He would blow me off when I told him it would take time. He would then do all the course layout and try to talk to the forest service a month before the event.

I worked with the old pro rally board and particularly John MacArthur to lay out the ill fated FIA event in 2000. It was the same issue in that they didn't talk to USFS or BLM until it was too late. I took those same roads and turned it into the 2001 SCCA Dust to Dusk TSD national. Ran through the White River National forest behind Vail, Eagle and Gypsum. I spent hundreds of hours and a full year working with the forest service on the permitting process, but I am living proof that it is possible.

Perhaps your committee needs the sort of personality that can patiently drive toward a solution. It is a different personality than your typical driver. Find that person and nurture them.

I hear that Jay.
    I've often thought that it's really an individual issue. We need a person that is willing and able to go work with USFS officials and build lasting relationships with people that have the ability to help permitting.
    We also have a ton of busy drivers that don't have time for something like organizing a rally. I'm getting closer to being able to find some time and ability to do something hopefully. It doesn't help that rallyists come and go with the wind so there's not a very regular, consistent or reliable competitor base. We've caged 10 cars, I think 8 of which were rally cars over last 2-3 years. I don't think one of them has actually seen a rally stage yet. CHCA sure, but not rallying yet.
    Grant Hughes - 1985 Merkur XR$TI Group 5
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215