Special Stage Forums banner

What do you need to know/have to co-drive...TSD

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  asmith 
#1 ·
Like the title says, I'd like to know what you need to have to Co-drive for a TSD rally. There doesn't seem to be a whole ton of information regarding this online, most of it just takes you to co-driving for full on rallies. I'm sure there is quite a bit of difference between the two. Basically I'd just like to know, what type of gear is required? I own a Helmet, I've been to a couple RallyX, and have driven. I do not have a racing suit, I don't believe that is required for TSD though (could be wrong).

What sort of things will you need to know? Is it very similar to actual co-driving in non TSD rallies?

If anyone has a link to an old thread I didn't find, or some site that has info I'd love to read up on it. I feel like it's something you need to do to understand though, so I should probably just look around for some poor guy so desperate for a co-driver he'll take someone with no experience haha. I'm a quick learner to anyone in the FLR-SCCA area willing to teach someone how to co-drive.

I'd certainly love to drive in one of the TSDs soon, but I honestly don't have a clue as to how to work yet. I feel like going with someone who knows what's up before I just show up would be smart. Thanks in advanced for the help everyone.

Christian.

See less See more
#2 ·
Christian,

I am heavily involved in the FLR rally series and also in Performance rally organization.

TSD and Performance Rally require different co-driver/navigator skills, but the TSD Navigation skills will be give you a good basis for Performance Rally.

You don't need anything special for TSD rally, no helmet or driver's suit, since TSD events are held on public roads at legal speed. Some events can be brisk however.

The best thing to do is come out and try an event. We hold a Novice School before each event and you will learn the most by participating.

We have an event this Saturday that starts in Watkins Glen and ends in Ithaca. More info can be found at flr-scca.com I hope you can draft a friend and come out and participate!

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I'm actually going to head up to the rescheduled Cold As Ice RallyX next weekend. I'll ask around there, maybe get some more information from the guys there. I have to work tomorrow, so I can't take the day off and head out tomorrow sadly, as much as I'd like to. I'll keep an eye on the FLR-SCCA facebook page, if I can't find someone to co-drive with I'll have to drive up and volunteer at one. They sound like a lot of fun/more wheel time for the cost than RallyX.

#7 ·
Christian, you'll want to check out this site-> TSD RoadRally You need to use the Internet Archive, as it's been moved and changed drastically in its current form. I did a lot of reading and research before my first event, and this was the single best resource aside from the Goss book, which I've owned since I was 12. The biggest piece of advice I can come up with short order, if you're going to buy gear, is to start looking for a decent clock/watch that will run in 100ths of a minute. They're not easy to find, and can be quite pricey when you do.

Alan, you understate the value of a good brisk TSD. Straight forward, brisk and tulip instructions will teach you 80% of the skills you'll need as a stage rally co-driver, with the rest being delivery timing and enunciation. Not having to worry about all of the timing math (since you've practiced it on the TSDs), nor getting lost on a transit with only mileages to turns is a nice benefit when you transition over. Additionally, when your crew guys pull the speed pick-up off your axle during service, you'll know how to scale stock mileage and still make the next arrival control. Learning to not get frustrated when the rally-master shoves 3 controls in the first page worth of notes will help you deal with the unexpected changes inherent to any event.

John, you forget that in today's day and age, a pulse gets you a participation trophy. As I'm sure FLR is fresh out of those, more skills may be required.

#8 ·
The biggest part is just to show up. Bring along some pencils, a clipboard and a good watch that displays seconds. If the event is running at night, add a map light, headlight or flashlight.

As a novice, you are going to be running against other novices and your job for the first few is to help the rookie driver stay on course. You will read route instructions, time pauses and encourage him to stay at the proper speed.

Later, as you gain experience, you can add calculating time and you can add equipment or apps to help you do better, but at the start just concentrate on staying on course and keeping it out of the ditch.

#9 ·
Thank you everyone. Tons of good information here. I think I'll try to head out to the next TSD and volunteer, just so when I offer to co-drive for another novice, they won't be so nervous. Unfortunately I won't be able to race this weekend because I have to work all day. I'll just have to keep an eye on the FLR facebook page.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.