North America Rally Map - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: North America Rally Map

Quote Originally Posted by SeanP View Post
    Is this a map of Rallies? NORRA, San Felipe 250 and Imperial Valley 250 are not car-based rally events. Nor are the Baja events.

Just sayin'.....
    You might get more traction with this point if you limited your exclusions to SF 250 and the IV250. The NORRA events are unquestioned Stage Rallies with special stages, transits, penalties, etc....
    http://www.nismostuff.blogspot.com

Roy D. from Kartek: "Rally is the cheapest motorsport in America. The last time I went to a rally it was an 84 Tercel with no headlights, an 88 nissan S box puking smoke, a 91 civic with no spare tire......."

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by spalind View Post
    You might get more traction with this point if you limited your exclusions to SF 250 and the IV250. The NORRA events are unquestioned Stage Rallies with special stages, transits, penalties, etc....
    meh. taking a look at the entry list looks a lot like a desert race with chase support vehicles. http://www.norra.com/vehicle-entries.php

I don't know any west coast rally competitors that participate in these. Yes, Ned Bacon (!) raced a vintage 911. But I daresay, that isn't stage rally as we know it.

Quote Originally Posted by rallygimp View Post
    need more central Midwest rallies...
    History has shown that more should get added to the calendar as the year goes on. Perryville, for instance isn't on there but I'm sure we'll do it again. MN group always has things in the works, as do guys in WI, OH, MI, TX, etc. Hopefully a few of them happen like Nemadji.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

meh. taking a look at the entry list looks a lot like a desert race with chase support vehicles. http://www.norra.com/vehicle-entries.php

I don't know any west coast rally competitors that participate in these. Yes, Ned Bacon (!) raced a vintage 911. But I daresay, that isn't stage rally as we know it.
    Three "pure" rally entries so far. Myself, a guy from Idaho with his rally truck and a Subaru from Canada. And are we now defining "rallies" by the type of vehicle involved? So NASA events aren't "rallies" because they allow UTVs and motorcycles? If I show up at a Rally America event with a open class Ford Raptor, does that make it not a "rally"? This is the type of thinking that KILLS stage rally...
    http://www.nismostuff.blogspot.com

Roy D. from Kartek: "Rally is the cheapest motorsport in America. The last time I went to a rally it was an 84 Tercel with no headlights, an 88 nissan S box puking smoke, a 91 civic with no spare tire......."

50 caution yump

Location for Defi is incorrect. Try "Sainte Agathe-des-Monts" instead of just "Saint Agathe"? It should be a little less than halfway between Montreal & Maniwaki (Perce Neige)

Handy map - thanks :-)

Robin

NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!! Anders Green's Avatar

But I daresay, that isn't stage rally as we know it.
    Again, please describe what a stage rally is. You just keep saying "that's not a rally".

I don't know any west coast rally competitors that participate in these.
    I don't know that one can legitimately say "well, none of the people I know go there, so it's not a rally".

I've been to the NORRA rally, multiple times. The HQ hotel has a bunch of racers staying there, pulling their race cars in on open trailers, and working on their stuff last minute in the parking lot. That sounds familiar. At registration, lots of people who don't know exactly where to go or what the schedule is or what time the driver's meeting is. That sounds familiar. At tech, a big line of cars and bikes with everyone getting their suits out. That sounds familiar. At the novice meeting, a lot of people worried about how to do timing math. That sounds familiar. At the start, a published start order list with everyone leaving on a minute interval. That sounds familiar. Road books with tulips and mileages. That sounds familiar. Pulling up to the start, getting your time marked on your time card and the log, and then getting counted down to the top of the minute to start racing. That sounds familiar. At the end of the stage, looking at your time card for the allowed transit time, and figuring out when you're due to check in. That sounds familiar. At the next section, waiting outside the control until it's your time, then pulling in. That sounds familiar. Running multiple stages each day, with transits in between. That sounds familiar. At the end of the day, turning in your time card. That sounds familiar. Overnight, a reseed based on your speed. That sounds familiar. The winner determined by the lowest overall sum of stage times (plus penalties). That sounds familiar. For years they've using the same rally scoring software used by the entire Atlantic Rally Cup, with results being published in exactly the same format. That looks familiar.

If your beef is that trucks run there... are you going to tell Bill Holmes that he isn't rallying? Are you going to tell me, or Mad Mike, that our years running in the SCCA RallyTruck class wasn't rallying? Or is it the rougher desert surface? So then Rally Tennessee and Empire State Performance Rally aren't rallies because they are tarmac and not smooth gravel? Or is it motorcycles, so Dakar isn't a rally?

Are some things different? Sure. The services are more like optional remote services. The check in time calculations sort of have a optional service window built in to them. The stages are way longer. The rally is four days instead of two. Finding parallels to these at rallies that use only cars on only smooth gravel with only short stages would be pretty easy.

So I await your definition of rally. I still don't understand what are the fundamental characteristics of a rally you believe that the NORRA events don't provide.
    NASA Rally Sport Director
    Your question is probably answered in Rally University.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Simon Wright
    Owner/Driver USUK Racing - Home of the USUK Racing LED Light Bars!

North America Rally Map

your other left, you idiot

Thanks Simon.

Care to put on an event...

press on,

Quote Originally Posted by simoniac View Post
    No good deed goes unpunished.

just a poor, dumb, Michigan(now Wisconsin) navie
    KC8YHT
    jimmy

Great map/resource, Simon!
    The way I see it, different folks might duplicate some effort/work, but sometimes the method/style/"voice" of the communication of the info benefits one person versus another. Sometimes the timing of an effort will not aid someone, but later efforts by another do. Other rationales exist - ad nauseum. Since I just got my NEXUS card approval (interview) yesterday, the realm of Canadian rallies opens up for me. Since I have only the most rudimentary level of knowledge about CARS national and regionals, the timing of Simon's effort is great for me! Thanks again!
    Last edited by DatsunZguy; 01-10-2014 at 06:14 AM.
    Dave Moore - KB3IEC, STPR Comm. Co-Chief, rally worker, '02 WRX Wagon + '03 Forester, "once upon a time" Datsun Z owner - go RWD!, too poor to race ... Blessings to all!
    "Do not vomit on the finish control workers." (his emphasis) From the section on motion sickness in "North American Performance Rally Codriving" by Dave Shindle.

your other left, you idiot

Dave-

You will absolutely love the NEXUS card. First time I went across with Jeffy (after he got his), Customs said "James and Geoffry?" We said "Yes." She said "Have a nice day." That was it. After we left the booth, Jeffy laughed and said "That was worth the $50 right there.". I have also been through where they don't even open the glass...

You will also learn a lot working Canadian events (although never use the word working at Customs - you are taking "work" away from a Canadian - you are going to watch the rally). Callsigns are different though. And I say "sports car rally". "Rally" by itself has some other connotations, and might get you "invited" inside. You do NOT want to get invited inside!

Quote Originally Posted by DatsunZguy View Post
    Since I just got my NEXUS card approval (interview) yesterday, the realm of Canadian rallies opens up for me. Since I have only the most rudimentary level of knowledge about CARS national and regionals, the timing of Simon's effort is great for me! Thanks again!
    press on,
    Last edited by jimmy; 01-10-2014 at 06:32 AM.
    just a poor, dumb, Michigan(now Wisconsin) navie
    KC8YHT
    jimmy