First car, looking to build 1990 VW Golf. any advice would be amazing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First car, looking to build 1990 VW Golf. any advice would be amazing.

Default First car, looking to build 1990 VW Golf. any advice would be amazing.

I'm born raised and live in Alaska so going to another state to look at a car is more expensive than it would be if i was down south. Ive been searching Craigslist and i stumbled upon a car i though might be a perfect opportunity.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/4212169898.html

problem is it has a sun roof, but i was wondering if your allowed to weld it closed etc? looking for any advice and help from someone who's done a Golf build for Rally USA

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Yes, you can weld the sunroof closed and glass is not acceptable. Assume you mean Rally-America as Rally USA no longer exists. Suggest you go to the Rally-America website and download the rules and read them and then read them again and again. Everything you need to know is in there. And, remember, if it doesn't say you can do something, you can't do it. Will save you a lot of questions.

Welcome,

Read the stickies,

Read the rules,

And have a great time.
    Dave Weiman
    rallydave at pobox dot com

don't cut

Welcome...we have the closest US event to you, Olympus Rally in Washington. That will be a tow and 1/2. Several good Canadian events in the western colonies and lots of community there.

The Golf is a good FWD platform and lots of help to be had for it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

the distance is not an issue, i work in the oilfield up here so I do two weeks on two weeks off, also i can take a hitch off here and there so essentially i can have a month and a half off, or in turn if the car needs something i can do 6 weeks on and make the money for it real easy. pretty much im just on the search for knowledge about parts and the car itself.

100 oversquare right bentmettle's Avatar

The rally VW will need monitored for the same issues as any street VW. Does reverse gear work correctly and stay in gear? Are the CV joints good? Heater box foam not rotted and need replaced? Rust?

If you are stuck on a VW, I'd look for a MK3. You get a few marginally better things, but manage to retain the most significant proble..., er charms of the VW. There is virtually no performance difference between the two. The MK3 gives you a bit wider track, which may translate into less explosion prone front CVs, and aruably a stronger rear twist beam axle than the MK2. The heater controls are simpler, and since it's going to be a handful of years newer, probably less likely to have rot in them.

Whatever you look at, if you have sill rust/rot, walk away from it.

I've run a MK2 for the past 10 seasons, caged a couple of others, and pulled my transmission and re-adusted camber and toe more often that I had ever hoped.

I'm not set on a vw it just seems like a really good deal, My brother in law is a vw/Audi mechanic, so I do have some help around to look at it as well.

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik.bohlen View Post
    I'm not set on a vw it just seems like a really good deal, My brother in law is a vw/Audi mechanic, so I do have some help around to look at it as well.
    Ever ride moto-cross bikes?

What's your goal in building a car? Fun blazing on roads? Enter events and cruise along at an average of 37-38mph? Try to learn to go "fast"?

What are the things that make a moto-cross bike so good for what it does---in contrast to a street bike? (I ask because many of the differences are obvious---as is the performance differences)
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Quote Originally Posted by John Vanlandingham View Post
    Ever ride moto-cross bikes?

What's your goal in building a car? Fun blazing on roads? Enter events and cruise along at an average of 37-38mph? Try to learn to go "fast"?

What are the things that make a moto-cross bike so good for what it does---in contrast to a street bike? (I ask because many of the differences are obvious---as is the performance differences)
    not a bike guy, when i was little i saw something on WRC thought it was awesome. This is gonna be a stage rally car for rally-America, probably will attend some Canadian events too. I have plenty of places to practice up here.

John is trying to get you to think about RWD, maybe a Volvo or an Xratty if you let him!! Just saying.....

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik.bohlen View Post
    not a bike guy, when i was little i saw something on WRC thought it was awesome. This is gonna be a stage rally car for rally-America, probably will attend some Canadian events too. I have plenty of places to practice up here.
    The point was to think thru and even expend some effort trying to see what the point of the questions were...not a simple I dunno.

Look at Matt above.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat