BUILD - Tarmac Only 1984 MK1 Rabbit GTI - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BUILD - Tarmac Only 1984 MK1 Rabbit GTI

Quote Originally Posted by John Vanlandingham View Post
    Tarmac generates far more loads---if you have tires. gravel generatesd SHOCKS, blows, impacts, but sheer stress comes from grip...

Sooooo what about stitch? What about top mounts and bearings?
    Hey John - put 2+2 Together and realized you were in Easier Said Than Done - loved your spot on the movie man - shit, a star !!!

Yes on seam welding, plate steel on top hats, got new bearings - but they are nothing special - just new - any suggestions? My plan was to just replaced them after each rally (cheap) but 10000% open to suggestions....

I would kill to find a fabrication diagram of what you guys do in terms of reinforcement zones - can figure out the basics based on loads and connection points, stress points - but not sure if my MORE METAL strategy is the best?????

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

PS - love your suggestion on suspension setup for tarmac, track day use as well given the power and weight goals we have for the car......checking out your VW pics now !!

PPS - can i ship you the HEAD and get back the masterpiece i see here?? http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/spgm/i...gmFilters=#pic

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Tyler-
    You should check out this thread if you haven't already: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Berg-Cup-Build
    Very inspiring, wish we could all put this much time and money into a build. The acid dipping looks like it makes the welding a breeze compared to the seam sealed gaps we are generally forced to deal with.

Thanks Justin - agreed - just paged through that entire build - OMG - talk about thorough - wish i had that much time. I hear you on the SEAM GAPS - omg - what is that black tar they used in the 1980's? My hands were covered in GOOO for a week -

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Greasecar View Post
    Tyler-
    You should check out this thread if you haven't already: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Berg-Cup-Build
    Very inspiring, wish we could all put this much time and money into a build. The acid dipping looks like it makes the welding a breeze compared to the seam sealed gaps we are generally forced to deal with.
    The only ones that are forced to deal with seam goo and rubberized undercoating are those who stick their heads in the muck and ignore the Gospel of Stainte Nitrogen du Liquide..
    For use normal humans liquid N is better cause you don't have to strip off every thread of wire, just move junk aside..

It's only 16 years since the Knowledge of the LN was carried to these shores and demonstrated so frequently..

"you can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think" Dorothy Parked when asked to use the word Horticulture in a sentence.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Donor car arrives - am i a freak because i love pulling motors, like really really love it? [IMG][/IMG]

Hey, also i seem to remember someone warning me against using longitudinal 1.8t's in rabbits as they lack the mounting bolts for the passenger side engine mount... but that could be a simple solve with your fabrication skills (if my memory is correct, haha)

Also for the rear beam what about relocating the fuel tank and adding some cross members... the local hillclimb legends, the Rutans, used to build in a Watts linkage to the rear of their rabbits to help with the side loads...

Looks like an fun build, I'm excited to see what you end up with as solutions to the mk1 issues.
    Catch you on the stage and at the hills!

Dave