A simple vote request - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A simple vote request

100 oversquare right

Quote Originally Posted by johnhuebbe View Post
    That's what the manual is for And it's in the car with the radio... isn't it?
    Sure. All you have to do is figure out what it's really saying. And those cheater cards don't seem to help (me, at least).

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

don't cut

Both will work fine, and as far as the interface, each has it's easy and confusing points, IMO. I have both brands and kinda prefer the Yaesu's but it is probably becasue I have used them for so long. They do seem to be a bit more common in our small rally world in the US so getting help if you forget how to program it may be easier with the Yaesu. Have fun with it, Mike!

Zero Cents!

Another vote for the 2900. 2 of my 3 drivers have them installed in their rally cars, the other using an ICOM. I use the 2900 for course car work as well. The only downside to the Yaesu's is the need for the voltage dividing resistor when you're hooking up a ptt between the Peltor Amp and the radio.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary Mad Mike's Avatar

Bruce Weinman alerted me to a Yaesu FT-2800M that appeared on Craigslist in MN and he checked it out, bought it, sent it to me and I sent him a PayPal "gift." The radio looks barely used so I'm stoked. Now I need an antennae ...
    Halley (WB5SQC) ...
    YouNameIt

into right 2 tightens

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mike View Post
    Now I need an antenna ...
    My vote is for a Larsen NMO 2/70B (~ $70), which is a half-wave dual band VHF/UHF antenna, though since your current rig is a Yaesu FT-2800M, you could get away with a Larsen NMO 150B HW half-wave monoband for VHF (~ $50).

You'll also need an NMO mount (permanent roof, bracket or mag base) & some coax. I have thus far resisted the optimum solution of drilling a permanent hole in the roof (to make use of the roof as a nice ground plane) of my service rig, since I have a roof rack that I'd like to extend the full length of the roof, so I opted for half wave no ground plane antennas & semi-permanent NMO mount brackets bolted to the roof rack. I have also used mag mounts on occasion on ad hoc installs, but usually tie a loose knot in the coax to the roof rack, so in the event it does get knocked off, the mag mount stays attached to the vehicle.

Feeling like an "old timer." RRR_K2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Audi UrQ View Post
    My vote is for a Larsen NMO 2/70B (~ $70), which is a half-wave dual band VHF/UHF antenna...
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Audi UrQ View Post
    I have also used mag mounts on occasion on ad hoc installs, but usually tie a loose knot in the coax to the roof rack, so in the event it does get knocked off, the mag mount stays attached to the vehicle.
    That's what I do with my Larsen dual band antenna, and it's worked great for STPR, NEFR, and BRS. Oh, +1 on Yaesu in general (I'm running a FT-8800, which I crossband with a Yaesu VX-127, and I have a VX-150 as a spare HT).
    Matt Kennedy
    www.RockyRoadRacing.com

Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. - Walter Röhrl