A simple vote request
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A simple vote request

3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary Mad Mike's Avatar

Default A simple vote request

After a fair bit of web research I've settled on either a new Kenwood TM-281A or a new Yaesu FT2900 to put in the RX7 rally car. They are effectively the same price and spec out similarly so if you had to pick from those two which would you vote for?

Thanks!

Halley (WB5SQC) ...
    YouNameIt

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!! Anders Green's Avatar

Here's some hard data that you can't get anywhere else, that will probably help your decision.

As far as people that have listed their ham radio equipment in the NRS database...

Kenwood TM-281A : owned by 2

Yaesu FT2900: owned by 17

So at least in this community, you're about 8 times more likely to run into someone who is familiar with the Yaesu FT2900.

That info would make my choice a lot easier.

Plus, (not included in the above totals) I have two Yaesu FT2900 that I keep in reserve for volunteers. I like them.

Anders
    NASA Rally Sport Director
    Your question is probably answered in Rally University.

3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary Mad Mike's Avatar

I was leaning Yaesu's way but thought I'd ask in case I was missing something about the Kenwood.

Thanks Anders!
    Halley (WB5SQC) ...
    YouNameIt

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Dramamine is for DramaQueens Morison's Avatar

I have nothing but Yeasu radios and have a 2800, the predecessor of the 2900, and its been great. (And know of another 2800 used in an RX7.
    Keith Morison
    Morison Communications

Mostly TSD Weenie

I did not have a preference going in to it last year. I auditioned several radios at Amateur Electronic Supply (advantage to living in Milwaukee) and the Yaesu was the clear winner. Easier to use, rock solid, clean signal.

Jay Nemeth-Johannes
    WA9OHS

I chose the FT-2900 for my rally car as well (FT8800 in the service/worker vehicle).

I have to say, in the rather noisy electronics environment of the rally car, the FT-2900 picks up a lot of crap, and it's backfeed into the electrical system crashes my wideband O2 controller. Cleaning up the install may help some in my case.

But the "The FT-2900R packs 3W BIG watts of Loud Audio with its own Internal Speaker for those noisy environments." DOES NOT apply to rally car levels of noise (and in an RX-7? Not a chance).

Mark Holden - G2 Nissan Sentra SE-R

Dramamine is for DramaQueens Morison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Holden View Post
    But the "The FT-2900R packs 3W BIG watts of Loud Audio with its own Internal Speaker for those noisy environments." DOES NOT apply to rally car levels of noise (and in an RX-7? Not a chance).
    I would definatley look at one of the boxes from brian at ZeroDegC that easilly allows you to wire the radio to the intercom. (provided the intercom can handle it) or mount a remote speaker for sure.
    Keith Morison
    Morison Communications

Uh Oh, UH OH, UHH OHHH!!! johnhuebbe's Avatar

I own an Icom 2100, Icom 2200, and Kenwood TM-V71A and I've used a borrowed FT-2800 before I bought my first radio. Out of all 4 I like the Kenwood the best for sound and build quality. Icom and Yaesu seemed to be about the same.
    Behold the POWER of cheese! www.huebberally.com
    Organizer: 100aw.org & perryville.100aw.org/ | Rally Cars: 1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

I would, and did, buy Yaesu for two reasons over the Kenwood and Icom radios. They're cheaper than the Kenwoods (typically), and more common in rally than both the Kenwoods and Icoms. You can't throw a stone (or gravel) at an MN rally without hitting someone with Yaesu knowledge.

I do really like the Kenwood radios I've used. Their interface is nicer and displays less cryptic.

Mark Holden - G2 Nissan Sentra SE-R

Uh Oh, UH OH, UHH OHHH!!! johnhuebbe's Avatar

That's what the manual is for And it's in the car with the radio... isn't it?
    Behold the POWER of cheese! www.huebberally.com
    Organizer: 100aw.org & perryville.100aw.org/ | Rally Cars: 1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy