Special Stage Forums banner

Old rally pix

26K views 84 replies 26 participants last post by  rwgraves 
#1 ·
It's time to delurk (probably kinda like delicing or deicing or debunking or whatever).

While cleaning out old file cabinets during the last week, I fired up both the print and film/slide scanners and have been busily converting old rally stuff to electronic format for your enjoyment.

The goodies are here:

http://www.futurethru.com/itemlist.asp?sqltype=rally&pagestyle=default

if that wraps, go to www.futurethru.com, click on articles and then performance rally.

Stuff you'll find up there now includes part of the 1955 Canadian Winter rule book, pix of John & Vicki in the 911, Rod Millen's RX-7, Guy Light, Scott Harvey/Wayne Zitkus, Andrew Cowan, Doug Shepard, Jim Walker, etc. Most of these are from the mid-70s with a couple from the early '70s, and a few newer.

Stuff that's on the way: a scan of the 1955 routebook for the Great American Mountain Rally, which I believe to be the very first FIA sanctioned rally in the U.S. (and maybe North America? and it even had a works entry and was sponsored by the American Automobile Association of all things), some excepts from a 1950s-era Watkins Glen Tour and Trial (You'll love this, you didn't reset penality time at each control. If you were a minute behind at one control, you had to make that minute up before the next control), and more photos.

I found a bunch of old negatives and slides from Rideau Lakes, Canadian Winter, POR, Sunriser, Sno*Drift and others, but the problem now is that I'm starting to get into photos that I don't recognize or remember who they are.

As way of introduction, I did what I think was the first U.S./Canadian book about the sport entitled Performance Rallying, published back in 1975, wrote a bunch of magazine pieces along the way, was co-clerk of course for Sunriser for a year and codrove in Datsun 510 (didn't everyone?) and a Fiat 124.

If you find errors, omissions or things to add, let me know. Where possible, I tried to give a little description of that the photo was about for those who weren't around back then. Most of this stuff was assembled from sketchy notes and a faulty memory.

Enjoy.

Eric Anderson

See less See more
#77 ·
In 1975, Wonder Muffler offered SCCA license holders a $50 voucher
(lots of money in 1975...) towards an exhaust system for their rally car. The voucher could be taken to a Wonder Muffler dealer who would
do the work and get reimbursed by Wonder Muffler.

A Mom & Pop shop in Newton, IL spent many hours building a system for our SAAB 96 by copying our beat-up copy of the factory Group 2 system.
They were fantastic people. They underestimated the difficulty of the
job but refused to charge us for the extra time they spent. The system
was bulletproof, took everything the tough U.P. Michigan roads could dish out at '75 POR, and lasted for years.

Tom Tolles ran second to Zasada at POR in '75 in the white 2dr. 122 Volvo. Guy Light was third. Doris and I started 46th, worked our way up to 4th, 5 seconds behind Guy Light, when we DNF'ed on the
next-to-the-last stage. If only... How many of us have "if only" stories?

George Beckerman

#85 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.