Find me a handheld - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Find me a handheld

Spectator Wrangler Bruce Beauvais's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by w1jim View Post
    Not in my experience w/ VX-150, VX5R & FT-8800R - YMMV.
    It was an issue with older models- apparently fixed. None of my Yaesus are that new.
    Bruce Beauvais
    de N8WLF

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

The Baofeng UV5RA is going for $30 from Amazon currently.

http://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-UV5RA-...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I think my FRS units cost more than that each.

Mark Holden - G2 Nissan Sentra SE-R

don't cut

Somehow, I can't think of a good reason to have a radio on a rally like the Chinese units that are so complicated to program or need a computer to program. Radio systems at rallies always need backups, and changing channels, tone, and mode (frequency offset half-duplex for a repeater to simplex) opens up a lot of chances for problems. Rally radios need to be simple to operate for those urgent situations that come up, especially when distractd by an urgent situation, late at night, on a long 2nd day of the event, and when you're tired. The good thing about Yaesu, Icom, and Kenwood radios is that there will usualy be someone around who can help you with any setup or operating issues you may encounter.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by starion887 View Post
    Somehow, I can't think of a good reason to have a radio on a rally like the Chinese units that are so complicated to program or need a computer to program.
    I think that the $30 radio someone has is a lot better than the $150 radio they don't.

I actually went ahead and bought one of these. For basic functions, it's actually a lot nicer to use than my Yaesu HT. Haven't cracked the manual yet, and I suspect that programming the memories is where it gets cumbersome, but so is my VX2R. And the programming cable cost all of $6, software is free.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Mark Holden - G2 Nissan Sentra SE-R

I just purchased a Baofeng UV-B5 last week. While i haven't had much time with it yet, it took all of 15 minutes out of the box to program the 8 memory channels i wanted.

It takes a little more time to program because of no auto offset, but the menus are not that bad to get thru to change tone and offset anyways.

Audio quality is as good if not better then my old FT-60r.

The manual is not as bad as i thought it would be either (the Chinglish is mostly understandable).

My only real complaint...the squelch adjustment is in the menu as well. Takes a couple key stokes to adjust, rather then an external knob like other HT's.

Overall, so far, i give it a solid 4/5. Not a bad radio at all for $46 shipped!

NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!! Anders Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Holden View Post
    I think that the $30 radio someone has is a lot better than the $150 radio they don't.
    Well... it's hard to find a counterpoint to that.

Anders
    NASA Rally Sport Director
    Your question is probably answered in Rally University.

Almost my entire mountain rescue team uses the Baofeng UV-5B with pretty good results. It is pretty easy to use the menus once you understand tones and offsets, and the user manual is not bad. The "Pofung UV-B5" is the same radio, just different stickers.

As I understand it the "Pofung" name is a change to make the English name pronunciation closer to the actual Chinese pronunciation. One of the original Wouxon websites had a link to Chinese speaker-"o-shen". `
    At least one website lists the B5/B6 as the same chassis as the UV-5 ( and it's 1000 variations) with a newer/better case. That said , I have used the B5/B6 and liked them. I've also used the UV-82 and found it had a few issues for my uses. The PTT (push-to -talk) switch is a bit unusual. It's a rocker switch- push on the top for VFO/M A and the bottom for VFO/M B. Likely OK when handheld- when worn on the waist and used with a speaker-mic or headset, it's easy to bump it off the frequency one wants to use.
    Bruce Beauvais
    de N8WLF

Just picked up two Baofeng UV-B5 for under $29 each. Now I need to get my license and figure out how to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by northcoast View Post
    Just picked up two Baofeng UV-B5 for under $29 each. Now I need to get my license and figure out how to use them.
    For B5/B6 programming I'd recommend CHIRP software and a FTDI cable.
    Bruce Beauvais
    de N8WLF