Documentary Filmmaker from Portland

Thread: Documentary Filmmaker from Portland

Default Documentary Filmmaker from Portland

Hi all,

I'm a documentary filmmaker from Portland, OR and I love rally racing. I'm currently working on putting together a race team with my friend so we can compete in next year's Oregon Trail Rally. We plan on filming everything and turning it into a feature-length documentary. We would love any advice, support, tips, leads that you all may have. Our fundraiser is here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...f-oregon-trail

Thanks so much! Look forward to meeting more of you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but you aren't exactly the first crowd sourced rally team OR rally documentary.

Good luck with your project, though. I hope it works out for you. I love rally movies

The best advice I can give you: If you can't afford to do it without asking for money, you can't afford it. Get a 2nd job delivering pizzas, it pays more than sponsorship will.
    Jim Perrin - #716, but no more Jeep.... - TeamHazardRally.com

No need to hate. Just pitch in a buck and help out!

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

I'm not hating, far from it. But if you expect to succeed, you should always have a reality check periodically. If I were closer to you, I'd do whatever I could to help you make it to the event.

Truth is that building a car is no small task, especially if you've never done it before. If you really want this to work out, your best bet is to buy a car that is ready to go.

I'd love to see you succeed, but the truth is that it's far too common for people starting out to bite off more than they can chew and fail to ever run an event. Listen to what people tell you - we've all been there before, and were able to make it from nothing to the first event. We all have our own "success" stories, and they are all a little different. There are common themes though: Either buy a ready to go car, or if you are dead set on building one, choose wisely and have friends with build experience....or a pile of cash. Make a list of what's *required* to enter an event (what's necessary to pass tech), a list of what would make life easier (like good suspension, rally tires), and then do the require list first.

Look at this: http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3815533125.html
    (this car was actually build and run originally by a friend of mine)

So, for $5500, you are 90% there. Get harnesses ($60/each), mudflaps ($20), engine mount ($20? from a junkyard), add in your safety stuff (HANS, suits, helmets = $800ish/each) and you are ready to rally for only $7260! Split that between the driver and codriver, and you could pay for it by working a minimum wage job for a couple months.

And that's just one example. You can even rent HANS, borrow suits, etc. You can drive the rally car to the event, you can run on "street" tires and stock suspension, if you have to. You aren't setting any records at your first event.

I believe that the future of rally depends on recruiting new competitors. And the first step in getting someone to that first event is making sure they have realistic expectations and goals. So if I came across as a hater, it was seriously not my intent. My comment about not being the first was more so to make you realize and not diminish the efforts of those before you. Good luck, and let me know if I can help at all (aside from just donating).
    Jim Perrin - #716, but no more Jeep.... - TeamHazardRally.com

No, this is great stuff. We've actually done a lot of homework, even if it seems like we're complete noobies. There's a good chance we will be buying a ready-built car, but we know a lot of fabricators in the area, so we want to test the waters with getting the car we'd really like to race. Truth is, I'm already going to be putting close to $5K of my own money into this project, the fundraising is to help cover the rest of the costs of the car and the film.

We really don't have any ambitions of winning, we just want to compete and hope to finish the weekend. We certainly know the full cost of doing something like this. The fundraising just takes some of the sting out of it and helps make the movie a reality.

Also, thanks for the craigslist post. Any other leads are surely appreciated. Feel free to spread the word too. We need all the help we can get!

Quote Originally Posted by uberfunk View Post
    We need all the help we can get!
    So does almost every other rallyist out there. Good luck!