RHD Datsun 510 in mid/late 70's POR Event(s)? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RHD Datsun 510 in mid/late 70's POR Event(s)?

Spectator Wrangler Bruce Beauvais's Avatar

Now that Doug responded we've got the story. I remember seeing ( and photographing) the car at POR 76. The car got a lot of attention from the legions of Datsun drivers. It was a red 4-door sedan. It was said to have a U20 ( Datsun SRL311 engine) and 5 speed transmission. It did not have the then relatively new ( and rare) L20B. Doug confirmed the 5 speed part . The high performance Datsun bible of the time did have a story about the BRE Desert car and I remember a U20 engine there. It was not at the event as a competition vehicle . Doug may chose to confirm/deny/ignore the rest of the story.
    Doug was clerk of the course. In the process of the final check, the car broke down stranding the crew in the middle of the woods. They broke into a nearby cabin to spend the night- this was early November in the UP- and were rescued the next day. Or so the story goes.
    The was a second-later RHD 510 in Michigan rally. Somehow a real 510 SSS ending up on a used car lot in Grand Rapids in the mid-seventies. It was from South Africa ,RHD, and a bitch to sell. Don Fetrow, a longtime Furrin Group member bought it cheaply and used it as a street car for a number of years. He sold it to one of the Traverse City rally group who converted it into a rally car. It only ran one or two rallies before centerpunching a tree. It was parted out but I had heard that the RHD pieces were saved for a future project.
    Those are my stories and I'm sticking to them.
    Last edited by Bruce Beauvais; 03-11-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    Bruce Beauvais
    de N8WLF

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Beauvais View Post
    Now that Doug responded we've got the story. I remember seeing ( and photographing) the car at POR 76. The car got a lot of attention from the legions of Datsun drivers. It was a red 4-door sedan. It was said to have a U20 ( Datsun SRL311 engine) and 5 speed transmission. It did not have the then relatively new ( and rare) L20B. Doug confirmed the 5 speed part . The high performance Datsun bible of the time did have a story about the BRE Desert car and I remember a U20 engine there. It was not at the event as a competition vehicle . Doug may chose to confirm/deny/ignore the rest of the story.
    Doug was clerk of the course. In the process of the final check, the car broke down stranding the crew in the middle of the woods. They broke into a nearby cabin to spend the night- this was early November in the UP- and were rescued the next day. Or so the story goes.
    The was a second-later RHD 510 in Michigan rally. Somehow a real 510 SSS ending up on a used car lot in Grand Rapids in the mid-seventies. It was from South Africa ,RHD, and a bitch to sell. Don Fetrow, a longtime Furrin Group member bought it cheaply and used it as a street car for a number of years. He sold it to one of the Traverse City rally group who converted it into a rally car. It only ran one or two rallies before centerpunching a tree. It was parted out but I had heard that the RHD pieces were saved for a future project.
    Those are my stories and I'm sticking to them.
    So it sounds like its the first of these that you remember that I'm interested in. Do you have any photos of it? Any idea where it went after POR 76? Was it sold from John to Terry?
    Last edited by spalind; 03-11-2013 at 04:23 PM.
    http://www.nismostuff.blogspot.com

Roy D. from Kartek: "Rally is the cheapest motorsport in America. The last time I went to a rally it was an 84 Tercel with no headlights, an 88 nissan S box puking smoke, a 91 civic with no spare tire......."

Interesting story that in that someone who buy a RHD car for the US
    Hope someone finds pics as a 510 are a lovely car

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 K right 4

Someone out there knows the rest of the story: the aforementioned Terry Palmer or John Crawford; Harry Ward, maybe. It's likely the car rotted into the ground and was parted out years ago.

If memory is correct, it was sitting at Terry Palmer's beside another equally rusty 510 rally car and the mystical "Volt" (Volvo 6-cyl engined Dodge Colt) of Bob Hourihan at least 15 years ago.

There has been speculation the RHD-specific pieces were passed on to late rally legend, Eric Jones, who used them in his RHD 510 LEJOG car build. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by gravelgeezer View Post
    Someone out there knows the rest of the story: the aforementioned Terry Palmer or John Crawford; Harry Ward, maybe. It's likely the car rotted into the ground and was parted out years ago.

If memory is correct, it was sitting at Terry Palmer's beside another equally rusty 510 rally car and the mystical "Volt" (Volvo 6-cyl engined Dodge Colt) of Bob Hourihan at least 15 years ago.

There has been speculation the RHD-specific pieces were passed on to late rally legend, Eric Jones, who used them in his RHD 510 LEJOG car build. Who knows?
    I spoke to Terry Palmer and his recollection was that John Crawford purchased the vehicle and he (Terry) saw it at his shop for a brief period of time before John determined that it (the car) was not suitable for Eastern Rally events and it was quickly sold back to an (unknown) individual from California who flew in and drove it back to CA. That is where the story ends for me right now--if Terry's memory is correct. I'd like to confirm his recollection with John's (particularly given the above rememberance of it sitting at Terry's 15 years ago, though I would think that Terry would have told me "yup, its sitting right here rusting away" when I spoke to him if that was the case). I've also reached out to BRE to see if they have any knowledge of it given they have one of their old 510 Baja cars in unrestored condition sitting as a display piece in their shop--but it doesn't look like the one I'm interested in as it doesn't look like it has been repainted in the manner RC had described--but it could be it...just don't know...

Roy D. from Kartek: "Rally is the cheapest motorsport in America. The last time I went to a rally it was an 84 Tercel with no headlights, an 88 nissan S box puking smoke, a 91 civic with no spare tire......."

Just got an email back from John...he states that he did sell it and that it is NOT sitting at Terry's shop. He also states that he ran it in one rally (I have inquired as to which one) with it in about the '77/'78 range. He never came across it when he was living in CA and rallying there in the early '80s. He does not remember who bought it from him or where exactly it went. Anyone have a listing of stage rally events in CA for the very late '70s, early '80s?? I mean...just how many 510s could have been rallying in CA in those years?!?!?!!?!?

straight at T

Quote Originally Posted by spalind View Post
    Anyone have a listing of stage rally events in CA for the very late '70s, early '80s?? I mean...just how many 510s could have been rallying in CA in those years?!?!?!!?!?
    http://www.rallyracingnews.com/
    Ed has as many of the SCCA PRORally results as he can find up there. It doesn't help with regional or non-SCCA events, but it is a start.

For instance, the 1979 La Jornada Trabajosa had 12 Datsun 510s in the 32 cars listed (of 45 total entries).

Adrian
    Last edited by Adrian Wintle; 03-15-2013 at 05:33 AM.

Ken Sterling and Mary Jo Czyzio ran a RHD Datsun 510 at POR in 1977. It was yellow with blue stripes. He sold it the next year to someone and they ran a couple of rallys before wrecking it at Northern Lights Rally

Spectator Wrangler Bruce Beauvais's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ddstonesr View Post
    Ken Sterling and Mary Jo Czyzio ran a RHD Datsun 510 at POR in 1977. It was yellow with blue stripes. He sold it the next year to someone and they ran a couple of rallys before wrecking it at Northern Lights Rally
    This was the South African "real" SSS car. I do have at least one photo of the other car from POR. It's slide so I'll have to locate it and get a scan.
    Last edited by Bruce Beauvais; 03-29-2013 at 06:56 AM.
    Bruce Beauvais
    de N8WLF