Can you run a RA car at Magnum Opus without FIA seats? Yup!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you run a RA car at Magnum Opus without FIA seats? Yup!

NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!! Anders Green's Avatar

Thumbs up Can you run a RA car at Magnum Opus without FIA seats? Yup!

Sounds like there's a few questions on this issue, so I'll clear it up while I have just a second.

Quote Originally Posted by The NASA rules
    3.8.14 Vehicles Prepared to Technical Regulations of Other Sanctioning Bodies

3.8.14.2 Rally America
    Any vehicle with a Rally America log book that is currently legal to
    run under Rally America rules may request to be inspected
    according to that rule set. If passed, it is legal to compete at a NASA
    Rally Sport event. NRS rules apply for all safety gear worn by the
    racer.
    So if you have an RA logbooked, RA legal car, it can run at Magnum Opus by passing the RA rules.

Yes, NRS rules require FIA seats for vehicles that get NRS log books. But that has zero impact on existing RA cars that want to come race.

See you guys up there, regardless of what seat type you're running!

Cheers!
    Anders
    NASA Rally Sport Director
    Your question is probably answered in Rally University.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 oversquare right

(Although this doesn't effect me), this is where the fact of having 2 different sanctioning bodies/rule sets is a real pain. My car was built to be RA and NRS legal. Because of where I live, the only scrutineer sensibly close by was a NASA/NRS guy. So I have a NASA log book for that reason only. Same exact car could have a RA logbook, but it doesn't. So If I didn't have FIA seats, I'd be screwed for NASA events but okay if the exact same car had a RA log book. Stuff like this is what hurts when new people try to get into the sport.

into right 2 tightens Mike Hurst's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kennedy View Post
    (Although this doesn't effect me), this is where the fact of having 2 different sanctioning bodies/rule sets is a real pain. My car was built to be RA and NRS legal. Because of where I live, the only scrutineer sensibly close by was a NASA/NRS guy. So I have a NASA log book for that reason only. Same exact car could have a RA logbook, but it doesn't. So If I didn't have FIA seats, I'd be screwed for NASA events but okay if the exact same car had a RA log book. Stuff like this is what hurts when new people try to get into the sport.
    This is exactly why logbooks shouldn't matter (and don't matter in RA). The car is either legal to a rule-set, or not. There are many cars running regularly in RA events, conforming to RA rules but using CARS, NASA, SCCA books, or even books from overseas ASNs.

If the logbook matters with regard to legality, how does a car with non FIA seats get a NASA logbook?
    Last edited by Mike Hurst; 02-27-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: clarify

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hurst View Post
    The car is either legal to a rule-set, or not.
    Agree. The NRS rule set includes "if it's RA legal, you can run". That's what makes those cars legal.

If the logbook matters with regard to legality, how does a car with non FIA seats get a NASA logbook?
    The question is somewhat impossible to answer as asked, because if it already had a log book, how could it get another logbook?

But I think you really just meant:

how does a car with non FIA seats get a NASA logbook?
    Well, it doesn't. But NRS doesn't have a rule saying all rally cars must have a NRS log book, so that doesn't really matter.

Anders

ps: Everybody who thinks it's a good idea to recommend to people "Hey, make sure you stay away from those FIA seats.", raise your hand. C'mon.... raise 'em up now!

Four tree two remember Andrew wvonkessler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anders Green View Post
    ps: Everybody who thinks it's a good idea to recommend to people "Hey, make sure you stay away from those FIA seats.", raise your hand. C'mon.... raise 'em up now!
    Mike:

I've never understood why RA won't specify FIA seats, especially given your forward efforts on vehicle safety.

Wilson
    "Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?"

I can say that Mike specifically recommended me AWAY from the style of seats used in desert racing (Mastercraft 3G, other "suspension" style seats) even though they would be legal in RA. So I definately think their (Mike in this case) head is in the right place in looking to protect the racers. Maybe this is one instance of where RA feels the cost/benefit proposition isn't there?? That the cost to racers of requiring an FIA seat was not outweighed by the safety aspect? Just theorizing...I have no real knowledge here. (shocker huh?)
    http://www.nismostuff.blogspot.com

Roy D. from Kartek: "Rally is the cheapest motorsport in America. The last time I went to a rally it was an 84 Tercel with no headlights, an 88 nissan S box puking smoke, a 91 civic with no spare tire......."

100 oversquare right bentmettle's Avatar

What about cars with an SCCA logbook?

Does the rulebook cover those?

Yes, they do.
    J. Lantzy

I have logbooked 2 cars, and neither inspection required the seats to be installed in the car at the time of logbooking. If you want an NASA logbook does the car need to be inspected with the seats installed?
    1986 Group5 Merkur XR4Ti
    Sean and Jenne Medcroft

Quote Originally Posted by phlat65 View Post
    If you want an NASA logbook does the car need to be inspected with the seats installed?
    It's not required but I think the seat mounts should be there. But just like RA, a log book is just a history (not a magic pass), and is generally issued upon inspecting a proper cage. There are many items, like seats, or belts, or whatever, that are required to pass tech (in either sanctioning body) that are often not present when a log book is issued.

Anders