First timers: inspire me! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First timers: inspire me!

It just took my first event to realize all you have to do is follow everyone else. Unless you are the first guy...but I will never have to worry about that - at least not until we run in reverse order.
    Jim Perrin - #716, but no more Jeep.... - TeamHazardRally.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

So many of these issues are solved by bribing an experienced co-driver to do your first event with you... lol

aka driver problems
    J. Lantzy

I have attended 4 rallies now, all the same event, but the first two as a volunteer out in the woods, and the second two as pit crew. First two years were pretty simple, meet at this point, follow that guy and do what he tells you. We sat by the side of the road with basic instructions and made it up as we went along.

Next rally we crewed for a very experienced driver sand co driver. Everything was explained well, we knew where we were going and got all questions answered and even fed really well. Up to the point where they didnt get back to the pits. With the help of a marshall/organizer, one of us set out into the dark to find them. We loaded in some fuel, basic tools and a spare tire, with no idea if we would find them or what state they or the car would be in. Turns out we missed each other and they beat us back to the pits.
    Second crew experience was totally different, first time driver/codriver and no one had any clue what to do when. Very frustrating, and we found it hard to follow what to do when.

So, the questions I would put forward are more on the courtesy and unwritten rules side of it. Couple of examples, there was a guy needing gas in the pits so he could continue the rally. No problem, have this 5 gallon jug.. We didnt have a problem doing that. then the guy next to us came back into the pits all banged up and had people from all over jumping in to help out, something told us to help, but we didnt want to get the guy in trouble as we were told that we couldnt help another team with repairs? Another example, we were told to use a tarp to capture fuel when refueling, our driver/codriver were very clear about this, but not one other person we observed refueling did this..

So basically, what unwritten rules and expectations are placed on people in rallies? I have found it is one of the most friendly helpful sports I have seen so far. I just wonder what you can do without getting anyone in trouble.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 K left 2

how do I go from Average Joe to the starting line of my first rally?

Which car do I get? How much should I pay? How do i get sponsors?

into right 2 tightens

My biggest fear getting on stage: absolutely no way to try it before you buy it. most any other sport including motorsport, drag racing, road racing, motorcycle racing etc. there are open track days, test 'n tune days, where you can find a friend and give it a whirl, I'm giving a flat track bike a spin this spring for $50. Any rental would cost more than I have in my "team". I was very worried about just how fast was bogey time. I lucked into codriving 0 at rally TN and got to see for myself about what speed would beat bogey, but before that it was a real concern that I would spend many thousands on a car, entry, equip etc just to get timebarred.
    Tony
    KC0VSL
    Oskar-the Citation.

"It ain't what a man Don't know that hurts Him, Near as much as what he Knows that just ain't so."
    -Mark Twain

your other left, you idiot

When, and where, is the party?

press on,
    just a poor, dumb, Michigan(now Wisconsin) navie
    KC8YHT
    jimmy

Jim,

My first Rally America National (I was a regional entry tho) as a driver had reverse starting order for stage #1.

Thankfully, it wasn't my "first" rally!
    Bob LaFavor

into right 2 tightens

Quote Originally Posted by go1d1e View Post
    So basically, what unwritten rules and expectations are placed on people in rallies? I have found it is one of the most friendly helpful sports I have seen so far. I just wonder what you can do without getting anyone in trouble.

I did heavy sweep at my first rally. Somewhere mid day one of the friendly frontrunners had a off road excursion on the stage prior. Now you are not supposed to have outside support, but a sage oldtimer suggested to me that if they "found" the Big F-in' Hammer that's always in my recovery kit along side the road next to their car, it might be useful getting their hood closed before they pulled into the control.

I think that's well within the spirit of rally.

Also, don't try to clean people driving lights w/o asking. i guess those $$$$ HIDs designed to be driven through hell and back are easily scratched...
    Tony
    KC0VSL
    Oskar-the Citation.

"It ain't what a man Don't know that hurts Him, Near as much as what he Knows that just ain't so."
    -Mark Twain

your other left, you idiot

More than once, when working a start line, I have "accidentally" leaned on a competitor's hood (to fasten their hood pins) and then said to them "you didn't see that".

I have to say it more than once to some teams before they get it...............

(A control zone is a Parc Ferme')

Quote Originally Posted by go1d1e View Post
    press on,
    just a poor, dumb, Michigan(now Wisconsin) navie
    KC8YHT
    jimmy

But I thought "unplanned assistance" was allowed by anyone except service crews?
    Jim Perrin - #716, but no more Jeep.... - TeamHazardRally.com