First timers: inspire me! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First timers: inspire me!

How do I best say thank you to event workers/organizers -- cash or gifts??? (sorry, but I just couldn't resist... Great idea Anders!!!)
    Dave Moore - KB3IEC, STPR Comm. Co-Chief, rally worker, '02 WRX Wagon + '03 Forester, "once upon a time" Datsun Z owner - go RWD!, too poor to race ... Blessings to all!
    "Do not vomit on the finish control workers." (his emphasis) From the section on motion sickness in "North American Performance Rally Codriving" by Dave Shindle.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Zero Cents!

Quote Originally Posted by DatsunZguy View Post
    How do I best say thank you to event workers/organizers -- cash or gifts??? (sorry, but I just couldn't resist... Great idea Anders!!!)
    I bribe them to come to an event with spare/take-off parts. Sorry we won't be seeing you this winter Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
    Unless you're delaying the rally, and your car is still safe I dont see any rally organizer preventing you from continuing to run.
    I think what he's asking is if his 'illegal fix' puts him in another class (like if he repairs his stock/production lateral link with a performance/upgraded part that puts him in a different class), does he need to change his class. You would continue in your own class.....if the 'fix' gives you a competitive advantage on stage afterward, i believe its up to your competitors to lodge a complaint/protest. I could be wrong, great question for Anders.

HEY ANDERS....maybe add your write up to my other 'rookie' thread I started a while ago?

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/s...ky)&highlight=
    (the other) Jon Burke
    I drive a Sub-a-rat
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jon-B...13428728700857
    Team Blog: Up Two Mountains Rally Team

"...when it comes to racing and sushi, I never look at the bill." - Foust

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Don't start with me...

"Why are there no rally schools to teach me all this stuff so I don't waste a lot of money and trash a perfectly good car to learn it?"
    --Phil Barnes, aging co-driver

When are the podium girls coming?

Why are the trees so damn magnetic?

Why is rally so expensive (seriously, maybe explain where/what the money goes toward, profit, paying off the mob, permits, etc.).

When I started, I wanted to know more about the technical parts, the time cards, etc. Even though I've driven in three rallies and co-drove once (first and last time, thank you), I still don't understand how the time cards work, leaving on "your minute," etc.

And lastly, why are rally drivers who drive antique BMWs so damn sexy?
    Slapdash Racing
    A Fly-by-Night Operation
    www.slapdashracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by X Mon™ View Post
    I bribe them to come to an event with spare/take-off parts. Sorry we won't be seeing you this winter Dave.
    1.) Spare parts ARE great worker "thank yous", lol! (Thanks again, Matt!) And so is floor space for low cost housing of volunteers -- goodly number of teams do this! Greg Healey once "bribed" me with one of his battle scarred Z-car front fenders for my "rally-cave" wall. (He was cleaning out his garage.)

2.) I am still working on getting to Sno-Drift, possibly with Houstin... But if you were referring to Wellsboro Winter Rally, yeah, bummer! Only a one year hiatus, though!
    Last edited by DatsunZguy; 01-02-2013 at 04:57 PM.
    Dave Moore - KB3IEC, STPR Comm. Co-Chief, rally worker, '02 WRX Wagon + '03 Forester, "once upon a time" Datsun Z owner - go RWD!, too poor to race ... Blessings to all!
    "Do not vomit on the finish control workers." (his emphasis) From the section on motion sickness in "North American Performance Rally Codriving" by Dave Shindle.

100 K left 2

I have been reading the items in this thread and I though that I would share some of the questions I have had during my process. I figured since I am working through the first time experience currently that I might have some good questions for you to use. I have already read over and talked with some of you about the Build vs Buy and source out the roll cage or design it yourself.

Some of the current questions I have or have already had are…

• What the hell are these time cards and what do you mean I can’t be early ( the NCO I sat in on helped a lot with this question). I always try to be early for everything so this was useful information.
    • I have put a lot of time and money into this car and/or rollcage. Do I have to wait for an event to get my logbook/roll cage inspection. Can I make arrangements ahead of time with a scrutineer to get this done so if I do need to make changes I can do them before the event.
    • What items do I really need to take to enter the rally (rally computer, how many extras parts should I bring, what would be the best type of tow vehicle)
    • What should I do before the race to prepare (better diet, checklists, budget during the rally)

There are more questions that have been rolling around in my mind the last couple months but it is getting late and they are slipping my mind. I will edit this post with more as they come to me but these ones stand out the most at the moment.

Alan Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by czwalga View Post

Why is rally so expensive (seriously, maybe explain where/what the money goes toward, profit, paying off the mob, permits, etc.).

wait....PROFIT? shit...I'm doing this wrong...
    (the other) Jon Burke
    I drive a Sub-a-rat
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jon-B...13428728700857
    Team Blog: Up Two Mountains Rally Team

"...when it comes to racing and sushi, I never look at the bill." - Foust

When I'm at the event, how do I know where to go???

That was one of my biggest fears at my first event - not knowing where I needed to be and when.
    Jim Perrin - #716, but no more Jeep.... - TeamHazardRally.com

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot007 View Post
    When I'm at the event, how do I know where to go???

That was one of my biggest fears at my first event - not knowing where I needed to be and when.
    This is exactly what I was going to say.... I guess I have a better idea now...maybe not! No 2 rallies have provided me the same path...i guess that is part the rally experience.