First timers: inspire me!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First timers: inspire me!

NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!! Anders Green's Avatar

Cool First timers: inspire me!

Ok, I'm writing up some first timer advice and want to take it back... way back. What questions do you (or did you) have as a first timer? I'm talking the very basic stuff here, like:

How do I pay? Where is the entry form? Am I allowed to build my own rally car? Who builds cages?

I'm talking about from zero to getting to the start line at your first rally. Mostly I'm looking for a complete list of questions. Lots of the answers are easy... if you've been in the sport even a year. But obviously before you've been in the sport, you're not in the sport. So, who remembers a topic they were mystified about on their way to becoming a rally racer?

It's a perfect way to spend the New Year... reminiscing about when you were just getting started.

Thanks guys.
    Anders
    NASA Rally Sport Director
    Your question is probably answered in Rally University.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 K right 2

How long do gravel tires last? How many should you bring to an event? How expensive is a cage built by professionals? What happens if you are late to a rally? Do you get a refund?
    #112 In DiRT 3 at Rally Finland-Tupasentie with S2000 cars. That record is going down

NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!! Anders Green's Avatar

That's the spirit! Excellent questions.
    NASA Rally Sport Director
    Your question is probably answered in Rally University.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

As a first time co-driver, all the paper work related to getting to the start line was a complete mystery until I was immersed in. If you guys would video a couple of the new competitor meetings so folks could see them it would go a long way to alleviating the anxiety.
    How do I use a time card?
    If we break and need to withdraw, what paperwork should we expect to have to fill out and where and who do we give it to?
    Can we re-enter if a mechanical causes us to miss a stage?
    As my first time in a rally, was as a co-driver, I had a fair amount of competitive driving experience.....so the actual driving fast part(or helping my driver do that) was the part I was least nervous about. I was more paranoid about getting procedures right so we would not be penalized or cause issues for our fellow competitors.

Are there any competitors/workers near me that I can learn from? A self subscribed general location (not street specific) rally map would be pretty helpful for finding like minded individuals nearby (idea taken from the Cage Builders Google Map).

What is the difference between a Regional and National event? What and where should I enter?
    What are the major phases of a rally (tech, recce, parc ferme, TC1, etc)?
    What are we allowed to do before and after tech?
    What should I bring with me in the car? (water, snacks, pencils, etc)
    What is a driver's meeting and what happens if I miss it?
    Why didn't I need to volunteer to learn the ropes before plunging headfirst into the trees? (alt title: Why should I learn from others mistakes?)

I'll come up with more later.

Edit- Great ideas above! Let's make it a touch clearer- I just pulled into my first rally with a car in tow- Where do I go and who do I see? In what order should I do the following:

unload car
    park trailer (in service or in a field nearby?)
    Meet with registration/competitor contacts
    Set up service area (what is allowed/not allowed)
    Who is allowed in Service areas? Do they need paperwork?
    Last edited by Aceyduce; 12-31-2012 at 08:02 AM.

100 K right 4

What is the minimum needed in the cars first aid kit? I would like to print a list and hand it to my mom and say here i need this for my rally car!! same for a spill kit.

I just bought a new STI and really want to rally it. How do I find sponsors to pay for my racing? Are there teams out there that hire drivers cause I am totally the best driver in my group of friends. (Those two questions dominate the majority of emails I have gotten from people interested in getting into rallying.)
    Grant Hughes - 1985 Merkur XR$TI Group 5
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215

150 K Right 4 Into Truck Dust BajaBill's Avatar

My personal favorite....Water Bars & Yumps.

Bill Holmes
    Ford Raptor #44

100 K right 2

If your car is in production, and you make a fix to the car that's illegal in service, can you change your class and can you keep running for seat time but not have the results count?
    #112 In DiRT 3 at Rally Finland-Tupasentie with S2000 cars. That record is going down

50 caution yump

Quote Originally Posted by LexusFman View Post
    If your car is in production, and you make a fix to the car that's illegal in service, can you change your class and can you keep running for seat time but not have the results count?

Unless you're delaying the rally, and your car is still safe I dont see any rally organizer preventing you from continuing to run.