Special Stage Forums banner

Photos Required for 1973 POR Boyce/Woods Toyota Corolla Model

10K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Reeft1 
#1 ·
I am posting here to ask for help from my friends on Special Stage.

Paul Loss (from Great Britain) is undertaking to build a model of the Toyota Corolla rally car that Walter Boyce and I used to win the 1973 WRC Press On Regardless Rally.

Paul has a model of every car that has won a WRC rally since the start of the WRC in 1973, except for one car, our Toyota Corolla!

Paul is in the process of selecting the kit that the rally car model will be based upon. However, what we need now is photos of the car. Preferably, colour photos of the 1973 POR car, but black and white photos and photos of the car in other events would also be useful. We need front, rear, side and 3/4 view photos. Any photo is good, especially if it shows the location and details of any rally plates, advertising and stickers.

The best way to get any photos to me is probably by e-mail: dougwoods1(at)bell(dot)net

This is really quite an interesting project. It is going to take some time to complete and sourcing information from 40 years ago is not alway easy to do. As information comes in and the modelling progresses, I hope to keep everyone informed by updating this thread.

Thanks in advance for your anticipated help.

See less See more
#2 ·
Many thanks for posting this request for me Doug!

Just to clarify, I have an example of (or have viable plans for) every car type (rather than every single winning car!) which has won a WRC event since 1973, plus examples for every driver who has won an event - as you say, the gap in the collection is the Corolla 1600 driven by yourself and Walter in 1973, and any assistance in this respect would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Paul

#3 ·
Thanks to everyone who has already sent me photos. If I had to estimate, I would say we can finalize about 1/3 of the details of the car and the stickers on it. So, if you can unearth more photos, please send them. Almost every photo is useful. If it does not contain new information, then it can be used to verify information in other photos.

#6 · (Edited)
I received about 60 photos of the Corolla. About 30 were good enough to keep for review. Of those, about 12 are quite good and show the car from all views. We did not do a very good job of cleaning the car at service in 1973, as the car is dirty in most photos, but enough detail is there for the model project. (In 1973, almost all service was by the side of the road with limited time available, so keeping the car clean was low on the list of service priorities).

Paul believes that he has sufficient detail to proceed with the project. The base model is ordered. I am now working on a decal spreadsheet to document all of the decals on every body panel (and there are a lot of them!).

Let me know if you are interested in getting updates on this project as it proceeds.

#10 ·
Well, work has started on the Corolla model. Like most rally car builds, Paul is in the bodywork phase. The parts have been identified and acquired/ordered. Getting close to identifying and sourcing/making most of the decals.

I would like to post some photos. Can someone host a few photos for me or guide me to a simple (and free) photo hosting website?

#11 ·
#15 · (Edited)
Hi - thought I'd post a picture of the finished model and also ask for some further assistance.

Finished model is as follows:

And this is the best picture i found of the real car.

I'm wondering whether any of my North American cousins recognise the logo on the top of Walter Boyce's Celica (it is "something" Sport Systems by the look of it) and whether they have any good pictures of the Celica used by Walter and Doug?

#21 ·
Hi - I found the reference to rallying in the founders obituary:

Thomas Edward Rohner, 62, of West Liberty died on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 in Bangkok, Thailand following complications from pancreatic cancer.

Tom was born Dec. 10, 1948 in Muscatine to John and Virginia Rohner. He graduated from West Liberty High School, and attended the University of Iowa.

As a freshman in high school, he was invited to the Sadie Hawkins dance by Ruth Carlisle of Atalissa, and on Nov. 19, 1967, Tom and Ruth were united in marriage.

Tom’s entrepreneurial passion led him to patent the electronic digital odometer in 1974. He owned and operated Digital Sport Systems in West Liberty, which developed the odometer, used by sport rallying and Canadian truck drivers and the new Digital Super RF Amateur Amplifiers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.