Photos Required for 1973 POR Boyce/Woods Toyota Corolla Model
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photos Required for 1973 POR Boyce/Woods Toyota Corolla Model

Default Photos Required for 1973 POR Boyce/Woods Toyota Corolla Model

I am posting here to ask for help from my friends on Special Stage.

Paul Loss (from Great Britain) is undertaking to build a model of the Toyota Corolla rally car that Walter Boyce and I used to win the 1973 WRC Press On Regardless Rally.

Paul has a model of every car that has won a WRC rally since the start of the WRC in 1973, except for one car, our Toyota Corolla!

Paul is in the process of selecting the kit that the rally car model will be based upon. However, what we need now is photos of the car. Preferably, colour photos of the 1973 POR car, but black and white photos and photos of the car in other events would also be useful. We need front, rear, side and 3/4 view photos. Any photo is good, especially if it shows the location and details of any rally plates, advertising and stickers.

The best way to get any photos to me is probably by e-mail: dougwoods1(at)bell(dot)net

This is really quite an interesting project. It is going to take some time to complete and sourcing information from 40 years ago is not alway easy to do. As information comes in and the modelling progresses, I hope to keep everyone informed by updating this thread.

Thanks in advance for your anticipated help.
    Doug Woods

Two classes only: AWD and 2WD

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Many thanks for posting this request for me Doug!

Just to clarify, I have an example of (or have viable plans for) every car type (rather than every single winning car!) which has won a WRC event since 1973, plus examples for every driver who has won an event - as you say, the gap in the collection is the Corolla 1600 driven by yourself and Walter in 1973, and any assistance in this respect would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Paul

Thanks to everyone who has already sent me photos. If I had to estimate, I would say we can finalize about 1/3 of the details of the car and the stickers on it. So, if you can unearth more photos, please send them. Almost every photo is useful. If it does not contain new information, then it can be used to verify information in other photos.
    Doug Woods

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Doug,

Would photos of any 1973 Corolla in rally trim be of any use?

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnemunroe View Post
    Doug,

Would photos of any 1973 Corolla in rally trim be of any use?

John
    Probably not, at this point. Thanks.
    Doug Woods

I received about 60 photos of the Corolla. About 30 were good enough to keep for review. Of those, about 12 are quite good and show the car from all views. We did not do a very good job of cleaning the car at service in 1973, as the car is dirty in most photos, but enough detail is there for the model project. (In 1973, almost all service was by the side of the road with limited time available, so keeping the car clean was low on the list of service priorities).

Paul believes that he has sufficient detail to proceed with the project. The base model is ordered. I am now working on a decal spreadsheet to document all of the decals on every body panel (and there are a lot of them!).

Let me know if you are interested in getting updates on this project as it proceeds.
    Last edited by Doug Woods; 12-05-2012 at 10:46 PM.
    Doug Woods

Uh Oh, UH OH, UHH OHHH!!! johnhuebbe's Avatar

Keep posting here!
    Behold the POWER of cheese! www.huebberally.com
    Organizer: 100aw.org & perryville.100aw.org/ | Rally Cars: 1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by johnhuebbe View Post
    Keep posting here!
    Please send me updates by e-mail as will be difficult to check here for several months. And as John says, keep posting here as well.

Thanks,
    Dave Weiman
    rallydave at pobox dot com

Well, work has started on the Corolla model. Like most rally car builds, Paul is in the bodywork phase. The parts have been identified and acquired/ordered. Getting close to identifying and sourcing/making most of the decals.

I would like to post some photos. Can someone host a few photos for me or guide me to a simple (and free) photo hosting website?
    Doug Woods