Intercom install in Bell Sport Mag? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intercom install in Bell Sport Mag?

Well, the Sparco one fit like totally garbage. The XL WTX-5T did NOT fit my 60.5 cm head. My old Sparco Rally Plus was L and fit tight so kind of annoyed. It did appear that the Peltor intercom could be transferred over. May try the Stilo full face that doesn't have the electronics, or maybe one of the Bell rally ones.
    Grant Hughes - 1985 Merkur XR$TI Group 5
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

bringing this one back

I have the expiring BSI rated Peltor helmet. Is there another new shell I can buy that I can put my current ear cups into? Peltor or other brand, I've worn the Bell Mag before and liked that helmet a lot. The boom mic is just held on by screws, so I know that can be attached to pretty much anything, but the ear cups are what concern me.

Thanks
    -Sarah

50 caution yump

http://blackarmorhelmets.com/

The open face one I am pretty sure will work. I'll be trying it with my helmet soon. In the same predicament. Wanting to keep my Peltor equipment, but needing a new helmet.
    #542 - 1991 Subaru Legacy Open Class

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

R4Vlg>TREE

Quote Originally Posted by granthughes View Post
    I wonder if Bell changed their mind about bringing in the rally helmets to US.
    I know this is an old thread, and was necro'd for other reasons. However, I picked up a Bell Mag Rally from Pegasus in September. They're definitely available in the US. I did Perryville with it, and it's quite nice. I certainly think it's a good value, as it comes with the intercom and the HANS posts pre-installed for 495. It's not the lightest thing, but I didn't find myself uncomfortable at the end. The intercom works really well, and having the earcups properly part of the helmet I suspect is nice. The only other helmet with an intercom I've worn the earcups were very uncomfortable.

Note: I did not find anywhere that carries the Mag Rally in store/in stock, it's all ordered. The Mag 4 is equivalent fitment, so you can go to a store and fit that before ordering. Highly recommended as their fitment did not at all match the fitment from my old helmet (HJC).

The black armor rally helmet looks like a better deal if it actually has an intercom installed, but I can't tell from the specs they give if it has one, or it just has "placement" for one.

Zero Cents!

The black armors are SCARY. Namely as the parent company that makes them in China, who used to sell them as Rodia brand, has had a number of their motorcycle helmets recalled for issues with not performing to specification during on road crashes. Why does an automotive helmet ALSO carry a "DOT" rating? DOT only approves motorcycle helmets. I'd also be a bit concerned about any warranty claims. Look up BSR, as that is the current nomenclature for their offerings.

As to it's "intercom", AFAIK it only has a cheap bluetooth setup. I've asked a few different folks for help getting interior shots, but nothing has shown up yet.
    Last edited by X Mon™; 12-16-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MConte05 View Post

The open face one I am pretty sure will work. I'll be trying it with my helmet soon. In the same predicament. Wanting to keep my Peltor equipment, but needing a new helmet.
    Here's what Black Armor said about retrofitting the Peltor intercom:
    Yes then they will fit, the Open Face and Rally helmets both have large removable earcup placements, so you can use either the Peltor cups (if they velcro out) or put the speakers in the Black Armor earcups, they are set up for it. I am confirming with the factory regarding the Dec 15 production completion date, and see what the timeframe is. If y'all would like to set up a Group Buy with your other rally drivers, especially with the new RA rules regarding helmets, I'd be willing to offer a $50 off discount per helmet + free helmet bag if we can put together order batches of 6 helmets per batch (so minimum 6, 12, 18, etc. in multiples of 6) to help reduce freight on my end, as it is extremely expensive for Express freight. You can post this publicly online if you'd like. Happy to pass along any savings to the rally community that I can.

Thank you!

James Wilson
    Owner
    Texas Rallysport LLC

I rather not be the guinea pig on doing this, but I'm sure someone should

Quote Originally Posted by X Mon™ View Post
    The black armors are SCARY. Namely as the parent company that makes them in China, who used to sell them as Rodia brand, has had a number of their motorcycle helmets recalled for issues with not performing to specification during on road crashes. Why does an automotive helmet ALSO carry a "DOT" rating? DOT only approves motorcycle helmets. I'd also be a bit concerned about any warranty claims. Look up BSR, as that is the current nomenclature for their offerings.

As to it's "intercom", AFAIK it only has a cheap bluetooth setup. I've asked a few different folks for help getting interior shots, but nothing has shown up yet.
    I asked about this FWIW:
    Re: Quality

BSR has been manufacturing helmets for two decades, building them for Bell, Zamp, Pyrotect, Racequip, certain Simpson models, and major name brands of motorcycle and motocross helmets as well. I have personally been wearing their products since 2005 and really like them. Fit, finish, and quality is top-notch, and their Carbon Fiber lays are excellent. I even had a crash last weekend at Circuit of the Americas in my Pirelli World Challenge touring car, and am mostly alive, and my spelling has hardly been affected, while wearing the Full Face Carbon Fiber with HANS Both FIA and Snell pass these helmets and continue to do their standard surprise testing with no problems with certification. Hope this helps!

James Wilson
    Owner

Quote Originally Posted by MConte05 View Post

Matthew- you get one yet?

50 caution yump

Not yet. Waitin' on funds. Gotta pay up for 100AW before the Subaru contingency gets snatched up!
    #542 - 1991 Subaru Legacy Open Class

Credit cards, man. You can pay for it in the spring Lots of guys waiting for you to be the guinea pig.