Intercom install in Bell Sport Mag?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intercom install in Bell Sport Mag?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Intercom install in Bell Sport Mag?

Has anyone tried or successfully installed an intercom into the Bell Sport Mag Helmet? I ask because I'm looking at this helmet for a Rallyx where SA approval is required but I don't stage rally (yet). My thinking is if I can add an intercom to the helmet later it will be a reasonable investment I can build on later as I build my skills (and bank account). Or is it better to look at a Peltor or Stilo that's for sure going to work but will be significantly more upfront. I can justify a 250-300 investment now but 600-900 for a Stilo/Peltor seems a bit steep at this point.

Thanks,
    Rallies worked: CARS: Perce-Neige, Shannonville, Lanark, Black Bear, Galway-Cavendish, Tall Pines. RA: Mt. Washington
    ...also known as VA3KDV

You can install an intercom into pretty much any helmet. The big benefit of the Stilo and Peltor helmets is that because they're integrated, they have earcups for the speakers, which are going to be more comfortable, and isolate noise a lot better.

Mark Holden - G2 Nissan Sentra SE-R

50 caution yump

I have the sport mag and I installed the intercom. To be honest I cant remember what exactly I did or how. I just remember slitting a piece of the fabric on the bottom side. Whatever I did worked well; havent had any problems.

your other left, you idiot

I had an older Bell Mag that I put a Peltor headset in.

I lent it to the Pirate (when he was first starting out) when I bought my Peltor helmet.

No problems.

If you buy a Peltor helmet, make sure you buy one of the newer ones that has SA approval and not the older BSI (which will soon expire) (meaning - read your rules).

press on,
    just a poor, dumb, Michigan(now Wisconsin) navie
    KC8YHT
    jimmy

And be aware that the Peltor retrofit ear pieces are THICK. They won't fit in some helmets without modification.
    Atlantic Canadian Region Rallysport: http://www.rallyeast.ca - Ledwidge Lookoff Rally http://www.lookoffrally.com
    2000 Impreza 2.5RS CARS P4WD (Sponsored by Rally-Tech, Great North Performance)

100 K left 2

Bell does have a Sport Mag with a Peltor compatible intercom already installed (Mag-1 Rally), but it's not sold in NA. The cost difference, over in EU, was basically the cost of the Peltor add-on intercom. I contacted Bell early this year and they said they were planning to bring them over here, but didn't know when. I actually wanted to follow up with them, to see if they had a date yet. If I get a response I'll post here.

I also looked into shipping one over from EU and it was going to cost about $50 (if I remember right), from rallynuts.com. I didn't end up doing it, because I didn't want to take a chance that it'd be completely uncomfortable on my head, and it being cost-prohibitive to return/exchange it.
    Last edited by zeeto; 10-23-2012 at 06:10 AM.

100 K left 2

Quote Originally Posted by zeeto View Post
    Bell does have a Sport Mag with a Peltor compatible intercom already installed (Mag-1 Rally), but it's not sold in NA. The cost difference, over in EU, was basically the cost of the Peltor add-on intercom. I contacted Bell early this year and they said they were planning to bring them over here, but didn't know when. I actually wanted to follow up with them, to see if they had a date yet. If I get a response I'll post here.
    I received a response, and the word from the higher ups is that they are planning to have the Mag-1 Rally shippable the end of December through January.

into right 2 tightens

Quote Originally Posted by zeeto View Post
    I received a response, and the word from the higher ups is that they are planning to have the Mag-1 Rally shippable the end of December through January.
    Good to know for all those BSI folks (me) that will be expired next year.
    Tony
    KC0VSL
    Oskar-the Citation.

"It ain't what a man Don't know that hurts Him, Near as much as what he Knows that just ain't so."
    -Mark Twain

I used to use a Bell Sport with a Terraphone intercom added on.
    I switched a couple years ago to a Peltor. I can say from experience, the peltor may be more money, but it's worth every penny. The amount of hassle and potential problems it avoids, combined with the tremendous improvement in audio quality, is more than enough to justify the extra cost.
    Matt Barnes

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.

I considered bringing in some of the Bell Sport helmets to see how they would work out/compare. RRS is another that is cheap (Chinese rebranded product) that say able to accept intercoms but from my looking at pics, I don't think a noise isolating ear cup that comes out of a helmet that came equipped with Peltror would be able to fit into it. I ended up ordering a Sparco WTX-5t helmet and am going to try to transplant my old Peltor headset out of my helmet into it. Biggest concern for me is finding a helmet that will be able to fit the ear pieces.
    I wonder if Bell changed their mind about bringing in the rally helmets to US. I talked about getting some of the Bell and Sabelt helmets that come with intercoms so that I wouldn't be just another rally shop with Stilo helmets, Hankook tires, and G Force belts. Decided against doing much retail though instead. Just special order here and there. Am willing to help out friends though with figuring out solutions to the issue if needed and will post a thread on how my swap into the Sparco goes.
    Grant Hughes - 1985 Merkur XR$TI Group 5
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215